Are there any solutions for flying the Canon 5d series for photos?

Lylefk

Hi there,

Are there any good solutions to view and control a Canon 5d series camera long range (out to say 1000 meters)?

Dji: sounds totally non functional at this point.

Gremsy Canlink: I saw some mention of using it to trigger camera but can't find anything.

Camranger: 150' range? Useless for a drone unless I'm missing something.

Intelli-g: No Canon?

Air Commander: For Sony

It seems like the Sony A series are ideal but I'm currently using a Canon 5ds R and would like to use it until I can switch over down the road. Live view and shutter would be enough, aperture and shutter speed would be gravy. Not worried about video.

Would appreciate anyone pointing out any viable options, thanks so much!

Lyle

Jason S

What are looking for a whole solution? a bird plus gimbal??

We currently fly a Canon 5ds R/ canon 5dmk11 and Sony Ar7 we use movi gimbal and old freefly radian gimbal, they are other options out there for sure but piece of mind knowing that it works every time and straight horizons is great.

We use 1.3ghz with whip antennas from IBcrazy.
http://www.getfpv.com/

if you new to it i suggest watching a few of his videos on youtube.

If you want a HD connex is the way to go.

you can control your shutter and movi start/stop easy there alot of solutions something like this will work
http://www.quadrocopter.com/gentWIRE-FOCUS-018C3_p_1538.html

cheers

Lylefk

Thanks for the info, all excellent and very reassuring! I'll watch the videos, I'm currently trying to figure out how best to set up the ground station for portability and etc (and whether or not single radio/operator is feasible) so that looks like a good learning resource already. Yes, I'm looking at picking up the whole thing. Actually leaning towards Sleepy C's Hexacrafter with the Gremsy H6. Possibly minus the H6 and getting the H3 for less weight and horizon correction with the Canlink.

Thanks SO Much! If you have any input on the feasibility of setting it up with a single radio that'd be much appreciated as well. I won't be doing much video at all, so the limited gimbal movement isn't really an issue, I can rotate the craft just fine.

Lyle

Last edited:

Jason S

its much easier with two operators, one controller for the pilot and another for the cameraman.

setting up a radio is different depending on which one you buy. without knowing what radio it is its hard to give info.

have you flown birds before? you might want to consider a smaller one to start like a phantom 4 or something then dont need to research all the stuff its just plug and play and the photos are still ok. Before putting a expensive camera and heli into the sky

Lylefk

This will be my 5th one. Currently flying a P4 Pro, that thing couldn't possibly be any easier to fly lol.

I think I'm dialed in for single radio use (14sg+joystick), going to try and sort that out first. Any thoughts on a 7" or larger 1000+ nit screen with dual inputs that performs well but doesn't have a soul crushing price?

Thanks for turning me on to IBCrazy, I've watched most of his videos. I asked him about doing a 5.8ghz vtx along with his antenna in both places but he's actually suggesting the Prosight HD setup for the FPV cam. I'm concerned about interference as I know Connex doesn't recommend two Connex HD systems within 5' of one another, but I can sell it off easily here on island if it doesn't work. All the local FPV guys are switching to it.

Lyle