Need Help! Testing motor direction question?

betty

Is there a way to test the motor direction without rx/ tx/ and fc equipment?? Can I theoretically plug in a battery to see what the motor direction will be? Or does the flight controller etc need to be connected? Just trying to get ahead of the game while I wait for things to arrive. Or should I just be patient and have everything ready first?

Is there a way to test the motor direction without rx/ tx/ and fc equipment?? Can I theoretically plug in a battery to see what the motor direction will be? Or does the flight controller etc need to be connected? Just trying to get ahead of the game while I wait for things to arrive. Or should I just be patient and have everything ready first?

No not at all. These motors use three phase pulse width modulation. They need a speed controller to work. Really its no big deal if the motors spin wrong at first. All you need to do is swap over any two of three motor leads. What you will need to do, is once its all put together, is do a prop off motor test. If the motors spin wrong change two motor cables with the ESC.

jamesb72

You can test esc/motor with a servo tester - well worth getting as they are only a few bucks on ebay, and are really useful for all sorts of things where you want to check or troubleshoot servo's and ESC's seperate from Rx/FC.

aRn9j.jpg
https://i.stack.imgur.com/aRn9j.jpg

Get yourself a Servo Tester.
Cheap from online or any Hobby Shop.
Plugs into the throttle cable and sends PWM signals to your ESC
Makes setting up and testing much easier and faster.

Mark Brown

If the prop or nut threads on CW looking at the motor from the top, then the motor should turn CCW. If connect the prop directly with screws, then it doesn't matter.