On the fence between Karma and Mavic

So I am in the market for a new drone. The two choices are the GoPro Karma and the DJI Mavic. The Karma of course has a GoPro 5 which is nice to be able to use without the Karma and it also has a build in screen. The only real advantage I see for the Mavic is it's size with is not a deal breaker for me. Mavic has follow me and object avoidance but that too is not a deal breaker. Anybody have any feedback.

Well I have been watching as many Mavic videos as I can and its really good. With the Karma you can detach the camera and use it separate from the drone but IMO that's the only advantage. If that's what your needs are then definitely buy the Karma but from everything I have seen the Mavic is superior. There's a lot of positive hype with the Mavic but even when you look past all of that it still comes out on top. DJI has been developing and refining their product line for many years now and they have the largest share of the consumer drone market, you don't get that by offering up junk. They had some bumps in the beginning but have over come those now. Is the Mavic perfect? hell no, you could crash it on day one or have a flyaway but the odds are you won't. The Karma is go pros first foray into the consumer drone market and it is a notable accomplishment but it doesn't match up to the Mavic. For instance, according to a video I watched on the Karma the reviewer was disappointed that you cant switch from video to stills from the remote rather you have to land and change modes on the camera and then take off again. The DJI go app is one of the reasons the Mavic is so great you can do a lot with the drone and camera settings while its in flight. I have not watched a lot of Karma reviews and I'm sure there are some good ones out there but the entire karma line had to be recalled after its initial release for battery issues, it has been re-released but you have to wonder. I would buy a hero 5 in a second if I had the cash and probably will eventually but I think the strongest point of the Karma is the go pro hero 5 black.

Last edited:

jeebs9

I have to agree with the above post. I got into drones after seeing the Lily camera trailer. That's all I wanted. There was a video that explained all the problems with the Lily camera a week or so later. But I loved the idea of the Lily super easy on the user side. Fast forward to a month ago. Lily camera company folds. It comes out that the video they posted was fake.

So for the last month or so I've seen watching and hunting Mavic videos lol. The Mavic is though son of a gun. DJI truly is flexing their muscle with this Drone. And this is me saying it without having one (hopefully it ships next week). I watched these videos. And I was sold.

I know those are long videos. But if I'm spending that much money. I need to know. Mavic is the way to go. Karma 2 or 3 will probably be the one. But right now it doesn't stand up to the Mavic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well after thinking long and hard I ended ordering the Mavic. I just went with the basic kit and not the flymore. I don't need a case since I have Thule DLSR case I keep my camera in and has space for the Mavic. Hopefully GoPro comes out with a Karma 2 that is smaller, more portable and has obstacle avoidance.

So I am in the market for a new drone. The two choices are the GoPro Karma and the DJI Mavic. The Karma of course has a GoPro 5 which is nice to be able to use without the Karma and it also has a build in screen. The only real advantage I see for the Mavic is it's size with is not a deal breaker for me. Mavic has follow me and object avoidance but that too is not a deal breaker. Anybody have any feedback.

Here is a recent story on the Karma comeback. I think the Mavic is really a much better product.
https://www.airvuz.com/video/AV-News-GoPros-Karma-Makes-a-Comeback-?id=58923e266422c86062616a6f

Jalope

Mavic of course, it is there, tested and working. Karma, nobody knows what it will be like, if something at all :)