Geeky Grandma

CaptCon

Hi Guys! I’m a drone flying Grandma from Indiana. I’ve been flying quads for about 1 1/2 years now, and have been listening to the podcast for quiet sometime. Thanks for helping me be a better drone pilot.

I’m mostly interested in aerial photography and videography, but I do have my FPV goggles ready to tryout. My machines are: Blade 350QX3, Yuneec Typhoon 4K and a bunch of toy practice drones.

My best advice is to take the expensive camera off while learning to fly your new drone! My avatar is the maiden voyage of my Blade 350. Luckily my neighbor has a bucket truck. I was stuck in a 30 foot tree! No damage that time. Wish I could say that all the time. Remember, I did say that I have several practice drones, but practice isn’t making me perfect.

My husband and I live in the country, but I’m a little tired of filming my house. It’s hard to know where to fly to get great shots without annoying others. I’m an airline captain, so I do know airspace, but how can one know which communities have banned drones? Who owns that land over there? Will they mind? Should I just ask for forgiveness later? I guess common sense will be my guide.

JCLs

As a pilot I would trust your common sense a lot. You will be fine. If something not right it will not be really serious and you know it is always easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. The things you ask about are not always easy to determine.

Glad to see a pilot messing with drones in a positive way!!!!!

AMA 954079 KG5BBF

ChrisRL

Captain, greetings!
Have you tried your cell phone recently? There are plenty of apps available that will tell you if you're in restricted airspace and also which authorities to call for approval or waiver in that event. Airmap is the one I use, they're pretty reliable, and are in step with the FAA on the latest airspace allocations. Also, by the way, UAV forecast is excellent, I've found, for local low altitude wind, weather and (most importantly) Kp levels in your area. Sort of like an ASOS for drones.

CaptCon

Captain, greetings!
Have you tried your cell phone recently? There are plenty of apps available that will tell you if you're in restricted airspace and also which authorities to call for approval or waiver in that event. Airmap is the one I use, they're pretty reliable, and are in step with the FAA on the latest airspace allocations. Also, by the way, UAV forecast is excellent, I've found, for local low altitude wind, weather and (most importantly) Kp levels in your area. Sort of like an ASOS for drones.
Thank you. I just downloaded it.