Winter/High altitude filming

Ray Ellis

Im looking for tips from those who fly in winter above 10,000 feet. I will be using an Inspire1 with the x5.
Tips on keeping batteries warm for flight and anything else that will help.
Most likely this will be transported by backpack.
In snow . I want to get the inspire out for some backcountry skiing/snowboarding in the Sierra Neveada

Im looking for tips from those who fly in winter above 10,000 feet. I will be using an Inspire1 with the x5.
Tips on keeping batteries warm for flight and anything else that will help.
Most likely this will be transported by backpack.
In snow . I want to get the inspire out for some backcountry skiing/snowboarding in the Sierra Neveada

I don't have any personal experience, but a lipo will work fine at low temps, except it will be a little low on voltage (and therefore lifting power) until it warms up. Runtime should not be affected much, if at all. I have heard some guys encase the battery in foam if it is exposed outside the frame, to speed up the warm up time. Hopefully someone with direct experience can confirm.

I have always thought if I had to do it I would put the lipo in some sort of insulated bag with a couple of those hand warmer packets in with it. I would start with a battery that was in a warm environment to begin with. I think for a short flight it wouldn't be a big deal, I would think the elevation would be the biggest concern. Let us know how it turns out.

Ross Mackay

Keep a bunch of those handwarmer bags on you, keep as many batts in you internal pocket of you down jacket as you can (mine can hold 3 I1 batts) they should be as close to your body as possible. If not next to body then in a insulated bag with handwarmers. With the dji temp reg in the go app you won't be going flying unless you can keep them around 12-15 deg C which can be hard sometimes. Don't have a warm battery waiting in the machine while you set everything else up - have everything set up and on (app and tx, props etc) and ready to go then put battery in, boot and get in the air quick as possible. If you can get the machine to spool up then the chemistry in the battery will warm itself internally after that. As mentioned above, less flight time (up to half as much), reduced climb and payload capacity. Also you need to take into consideration any environmental effects that you are up against like wind, rotor from ridges or tree breaks etc and fly accordingly (meaning more conservatively) you don't fly to far from home esp downwind on outward leg....

Ray Ellis

Thanks Ross.
That's what I was looking for. I have been splitboarding in the Eastern Sierra for a few years and have only taken a drone once. It was springtime so not as cold as I plan and even thought it was around 40 f and sunny and was only carrying a GoPro my batt life was half of normal
This time we ( I plan to force my partners to carry batts and controller ) will be skinning uphill Human Power
Have always wanted to do it but never pulled it off
Hope to this winter
Don't know if I should use my x5 or reduce the payload and use an x3

Thanks for your help

Ross Mackay

Thanks Ross.
That's what I was looking for. I have been splitboarding in the Eastern Sierra for a few years and have only taken a drone once. It was springtime so not as cold as I plan and even thought it was around 40 f and sunny and was only carrying a GoPro my batt life was half of normal
This time we ( I plan to force my partners to carry batts and controller ) will be skinning uphill Human Power
Have always wanted to do it but never pulled it off
Hope to this winter
Don't know if I should use my x5 or reduce the payload and use an x3

Thanks for your help
No worries Ray, it depends what you want to scrafice! Video quality or flight time! They are both great cameras when used within their boundaries.