Storage of lipo batteries

hawgrider

I know that one is not supposed to store fully charged lipo batteries....or totally discharged ones for that matter. However, my question is, with a fully charged battery how long should one be able to store it before one has to use it without messing up the battery. I have 3 Chroma batteries that I fully charged but am unable to fly the Chroma at this time....likely for 3 weeks or so; will this length of time ruin the battery at full charge. IF so, how do I discharge the battery other than flying the Chroma?

3 weeks wont hurt it. Its best to store lipo's long term at 40 to 50% capacity. A good charger will have a storage charge feature and a discharge feature. I bought a couple of voltage regulators from hobbyking.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__86586__DC_DC_USB_Power_Adapter_6A_4_Port.html
They have XT 60 connectors on one side and mini usb on the other. They reduce your battery's voltage down to 5VDC at 1 or 2 amps. That way if you have a full lipo battery you can charge your cell phone, go pro, etc. If you don't have a battery checker you should get one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__82850__6S_Hobbyking_Lipo_Cell_Checker.html
They connect to the balance lead of your lipo and read individual cell voltage's. They are only a few bucks and very helpful in knowing where your at with your battery's. 3.7 is minimum and 4.2 is fully charged (per cell).

I have been known to use a tie down strap, a cinder block, and a little time to lower a battery from say 4.2 volts to 3.9-4 volts if it is going to be awhile. Three weeks is not likely to do damage, just don't make a habit of it so that 3 weeks becomes 3 months. :D

I also have a couple light circuits for the same purpose, one small one for completely draining a battery for disposal and one for a heavier load that using a voltage relay to disconnect the lipo at 3.7 volts under load.

The decay rate or discharge rate of a lipo is rather small, do not store them fully charged as recommended above when you can help it and do check them every month or so with a cell checker just to make sure they are holding where you want them.