Lesson learned today

Chalagi

Makes sure that the stem on the motor adapter does not have and grit or sand gains in the threads before trying to remove that nut or this will happen. And I only like another 5% have the gains set on my 810 also.

DSC00003.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,288

I cannot tell for sure, but your threads also look a little deformed so the nut could have simply got stuck on the threads. Dirt, Smashed Threads, Bad luck, the outcome is all the same. The prop cones are terrible for staying on (not a lock nut) and usually cannot use a wrench of any kind, but they do help protect your threads in a crash :D.

Make sure you aren't cranking too hard as well when tightening the props. These aluminum prop adapters can only handle so much so many times.

But yea, carry an extra tooth brush or gun cleaning brush and if you cake your threads with dirt, give them a quick scrubbing to remove the dirt. If the threads are smashed, you could probably run a die down the threads to reform them enough to allow the nut to come off without snapping the stem as well. But I wouldn't carry a tap and die set, I don't even have one :D.

If it makes you feel better, I have done that to steel bolts when using too big of a wrench, too much torque and the metal simply twists off as you see there.

Chalagi

The deformed part I think is about where the grit started and I tried to reverse the nut but no luck it was too late. The aluminum is way too soft for prop adapters they should at least be air craft aluminum or a heat treated type aluminum. And I really hate the "Cone" nuts I have lost more of them than I can count.

Last edited:

Alwil

Chalagi- I ended up using these prop adapters having the same problem as you. Everything
is working fine now. You just have to do some measuring to make sure they fit your motors.

mounting_image2.jpg

Attachments

• mounting_image2.jpg
    mounting_image2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 220

The above adapter comes with some motors, T-Motors/KDE for example. More common on the bigger props as you you wouldn't have worry about the prop free spinning if its not tight enough and there is no ccw/cw rotation problems to cause props nut to fly away.

Chalagi

Yea I understand that part and know how it works. But I don't think my motors are made that way and I know my 15: props are not.

Yea I understand that part and know how it works. But I don't think my motors are made that way and I know my 15: props are not.

Not sure which motors you have exactly, but where your 5mm? prop adapter shaft mounts to the motor it is possible. It would just depending if the screw patter n would match up to another brand if your brand doesn't make a T style.

Looking at that link, they make the proper adapter for the motor it would just be a matter of finding it. If you look at the picture in the link that shows the pieces it comes with, its the flat plate with three holes.

Chalagi

Alwil where did you buy those CF props like you showed me in you post. I have always flown props with a prop hub and it looks like those would be much easier to balance.

If you are okay ordering from over seas, I have heard good things about iFlight Carbon Props. They are quite a bit cheaper than T-Motor props I believe and probably aren't as nice. But from what I have read, people using them are happy for the price. I am going to buy some at some point to try, just haven't yet.

Chalagi

Team black sheep has prices that are way too high and their products probably come from the same place as the cheap ones do.