violetwolf

Hi, there's a sticky thread right above this one for posting videos so we don't push all the discussion threads off the main page ;). Hopefully you or the mods could move this post onto that thread

And btw flying over city streets is illegal and dangerous. You could face stiff fines even for posting this publicly. Also note that flying amongst buildings is doubly dangerous as RC signals will not penetrate solid objects, will reflect and bounce around, and your GPS will likely malfunction as well...

Other than that it's a pretty good video. Not trying to be a dick, just that we all depend on each other to follow the rules or lose our hobby.

Perhaps if the mods move this post they could move my comments as well for educational purposes.

Last edited:

photojunky

I checked the laws, and I talked to a couple of guys from work in law enforcement, and there are no ordinances or special laws regarding flying in a city. But, if it did land on someone's head of course you could be sued just like at a wedding or the beach. Yes, it is dangerous but I did it at 6 a.m. in the morning and there was almost no one on the street with the exception of a couple of zombies. I was worried about losing my signal, But for the most part it remained at full strength. However, I do agree for the most part with everything you have said and do not think I will be flying it in the city. Not sure it is worth the risk.

photojunky

Oddly, it is illegal to fly a drone on the beach or anywhere owned by the ggnra which is mostly open land, but very few places in San Francisco are restricted. I found this information below..

Here is a map that shows of areas to avoid on‘t fly drones here. As you can see, most of San Francisco is not restricted, and there are plenty of open spaces in the Bay Area in general. The entire Presidio and most of the coast is federally controlled park land though, so you’ll definitely want to avoid flying at places like Ocean Beach. You can also go to the western end of Golden Gate Park, which is run by the city.

Last edited:

Jay Smith

We hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day! While it may be gloomy in Los Angeles, here’s a reminder that even overcast beach days can be beautiful. We finally made the switch to Premier and decided to edit the first purely Phantom Aerial Productions project with our dual operated DJI Inspire1.

Last edited:

violetwolf

Thanks for the clarification Photo J. If it were here in Vancouver we'd face stiff fines or worse. In order to fly within city limits we need permits, approved flight plans, cordoned off streets, security personnel, first aid stations... The list goes on.

photojunky

I loved Vancouver. When I was 17 (1981) ouch, I road across Canada with AYH. We started on the East Coast and finished in Vancouver. We averaged about 70 miles a day carrying our own weight. I remember your city being one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited. Too bad there are so many flying restrictions. I'm sure we're heading that way. The media loves a bad drone owner story. They will cover a bad drone story even if it occurred in another country.

AzViper

My latest video - My wife and I took a trip up to Roosevelt lake, it had been 35 years from our last visit. As a kid our family would either go to Roosevelt or Apache lake every weekend, that was back when gas was $.25 per gallon. In researching Roosevelt Dam I learned that the dam was built of masonry block. In 1989 the dam began a renovation project to seal the masonry block in 450,000 cubic yards of concrete. The original dam cost $10 million dollar to build and the renovation cost $430 million dollars and was the worlds largest dam in 1911. The project was finished in 1996 with the new bridge. You can no longer drive onto the dam to get to the other side as you could prior to the renovation. The dam is named after president Theodore Roosevelt.

A documentary of the dam and real footage from 1903 to 1911 when the dam was built and dedicated by Theodore Roosevelt.

NR Media

Latest video is up! Subscribe to my channel, give a thumbs up if you like it, and feel free to share on social media to share the love :)

photojunky

I hope this is the right place this time.
This is from a couple of different flights, probably about 20 minutes worth of footage. It was nice enough to make a short video out of but was not used in my other videos.

In a week or so I am going to order the parts to make a f550 or Tarot 680 based on the DJI Naza M V2 flight controller. Should be fun.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
I recently had to go to York on business, so I thought I would take the 450 up just in case :)

I managed to squeeze in one flight, but when I got back I found the 10" HQ props I'm trying out have introduced a fair bit of jello:mad:

Hi Tony, nice vid, 450 was my first machine, so I can relay to the jello issues that I had plenty of. I found the Dubro Prop Balancer and ND 8 or ND 16 filters work well to help eliminate jello on 450&Gopro setup. Cheers!

Kegstandkyle

Nothing other than a simple release mechanism I built.
Air dropped a beer to my friend 1/2 mile away, was pretty cool to say the least!!
Wind kinda took it but that's ok!