Sony A6300 Camera Discussion

violetwolf

Thank you for the reminder Marcelo. I hadn't looked at their site (gentle) in a few years. It looks like they've come a long ways. The product looks pretty mature now :)

violetwolf

Glad to see this thread active again! I have some updates as well that I'll try to add tomorrow.. I've settled on a lens, found some cable sources etc.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Just skimmed through this thread so sorry if I missed a link (was looking for photos) but what are people using the for gimbals with this camera?

jetkrazee

Uplifting-photography.com
I really like this one. A good friend of mine is using one with an a6000 on a Turbo ace x-88 octo.

Attachments

• Gimbal2.JPG
    Gimbal2.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 476
  • Gimbal.JPG
    Gimbal.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 446

violetwolf

Ya I find the "supported only one side" and flat plate gimbals can be flaky in general. Just not rigid enough.

I'm going to be using mine of the BG001 Famous Hobby gimbal with the Phobotic Centerpiece that I have built for my Canon 5D.. but it is a bit large. If I was starting now with my a6300 I think I might look for a lighter gimbal. (Full disclosure: I am a dealer for both the Famous line and the Phobotic line.. However I AM a dealer because I use and like the products. The best I have found in the DIY world. www.uavmediapros.com

Clermond

Hi guys, I found this cable http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-Interface-Standard-REVERSE-SOCKET/dp/B01D4UWFUU . I have costum X8 (converted fy680) with pixhawk FC. I will bought a6300 for fpv. But I dont know hdmi to av converter for A 6300. I want to do video record and aerial photo. What suggestion converter for me that can take photo and video record. Sorry bad english. Thanks again.

did anyone check if the plug is small enough to use it together with the seagull rec?

GGoodrum

I recently purchased an a6300, which is probably my favorite camera ever. I am planning to use it on a handheld setup, but will also look at getting it airborne with a 680Pro setup that I never finished. Not sure on the gimbal yet, but I was leaning towards a CAME-MINI3. Now that it looks like Phobotics is finally going to release their all new Centerpiece software, I might take one of my existing DIY setups, and set it up with a CP.

What I'm not sure about yet is which lens to use. I'd love to have a workable zoom that is decent quality, especially if the CamRemote and Gentle widgets will allow for remote operation. I have the 16-50mm kit zoom, but the quality is not great. I also have a 24mm f1.8 Zeiss lens that is very good, but with the 1.5 crop factor, it isn't quite wide enough for most aerial shots. Anyway, just curious about what lenses people are using.

-- Gary

violetwolf

Hi Gary, First it's really good to see you! Yes, I feel the same about the a6300, my favorite camera to date and I have Canon 5D with L Series glass. The 6300 was intended as an aerial camera purchase but now I've decided to dump Canon altogether.

OK Lenses: I've spent my way into some knowledge here lol (Bought some duds and re-sold) So I can save you some money. Do NOT buy the Sony 16mm Pancake... Highly disappointing pc of crap. Do NOT buy the Sigma 19mm ART Highly disappointing pile of crap!

What I landed on for aerial and wide gimbal in general is the Sony 10-18mm zoom. Fantastic lens. : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l1018_10_18mm_F_4_0mm_Optical_SteadyShot.html
With the crop factor it gives you 15-27mm equivalent so it replaces your old standby 16-24 from the Canon world.
Sharp as a tack and just beautiful color rendition blah blah.. Search YouTube for footage of it on the 6300. It has the added benefit of being lightweight as all heck, which is fantastic for aerial.

For a general zoom I settled on the Sony G 18-105 mm as it is the sharpest zoom they have in that range. It rivals my L Series 24-70 at half the cost. (And a much longer reach when factoring the 1.5 crop it gives you about 24-150 which is a really nice reach.) LOVE this lens! So sharp :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001011-REG/sony_selp18105g_18_105mm_f_4_g_lens.html

THEN because both those lenses are f4's (that's the only downside to Sony right now.. shy on the fast glass). But these are for outdoor use anyway for me. SO the next one I bought is the Sony 50mm F1.8 which is there "Plastic Fantastic" equivalent. Cheap, sharp and light. Gives you about 75 mm which is great for portraits and fast at 1.8 for blurred backgrounds which is essential for portraits.. And it's great for indoor shoots at concerts etc.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001008-REG/sony_sel50f18_b_50mm_f_1_8_lens_black.html

The other thing to know about Sony Lenses is the naming convention. Crop sensor vs Full Frame. The "E" mount is standard body mount on the a6300 and A7s etc. HOWEVER the lenses are denoted as either "E" mount or "FE" mount. "E" mount is for crop sensors, and "FE" is for Full Frame.

Here are some lens tests on YouToob. Make sure to watch full screen in 4K if available:

18-105 Lens on a6300:

10-18 mm Lens on a6300:

Last edited:

violetwolf

And here's a couple of shots of my rig with the Phobotic on a Famous Hobby gimbal frame
(Both available from me at www.uavmediapros.com .. sorry shameless plug)

UAV Media Pros-5.jpgUAV Media Pros-2.jpgUAV Media Pros-4.jpg UAV Media Pros-11.jpg UAV Media Pros-12.jpg UAV Media Pros-14.jpg

Attachments

• UAV Media Pros-2.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 376
  • UAV Media Pros-4.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 347
  • UAV Media Pros-5.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-5.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 355
  • UAV Media Pros-11.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-11.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 337
  • UAV Media Pros-12.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-12.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 340
  • UAV Media Pros-14.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-14.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 325

Clermond

did anyone check if the plug is small enough to use it together with the seagull rec?

so I quote myself: yes, it matches to the a6300. The manufacturer will also produce individual cables with any plug you need for a reasonable price. I ordered flat ribbon micro HDMI male to mini female 50cm at 17USD plus shipping