CC3D PID best settings for hexacopter

brunoau

Hello, everyone. I have just signed up and I would like to ask what are the best settings for CC3D, which I am using on my latest hexacopter. I have designed it and built it with what I had available. Here is a Youtube video of the second test I did.

My hexa is manually piloted, does not have any GPS, barometer etc. and no FPV. I start the Xiaomi Yi before I fly and switch it off after I land. I fly it by looking at it.
I would like to know if any of you could suggest the best PID settings to achive a smooth flying for video and at the same time to make it more wind resistant.

Thank you all in advance

Its really subjective to the actual craft itself and not universal to all. I assume you choose the stock settings for that craft on the open pilot site or one close to it. most of your work is done because it flies well, now the tweaking comes in. As to the best way to dial in the settings I couldn't say. I know for the smaller 250mm racing quads it is very important for peak performance, for a large lumbering MR's used for filming, slow and steady is fine.

brunoau

Its really subjective to the actual craft itself and not universal to all. I assume you choose the stock settings for that craft on the open pilot site or one close to it. most of your work is done because it flies well, now the tweaking comes in. As to the best way to dial in the settings I couldn't say. I know for the smaller 250mm racing quads it is very important for peak performance, for a large lumbering MR's used for filming, slow and steady is fine.

Thank you, John. The craft behaves quite well, as you saw in the video and it does not oscillate at all. I would just like to make the reaction to control not so sudden, but more mild. Any suggestions?

Well you could dial down your basic gains but a better idea might be to add "expo" to your flight controls on your radio. there are a few good you tube videos out there that explain what expo is and what it does. It may be what your looking for. I set it up on one of my radios on a 3 position switch. I had no expo, some expo and a lot of expo. It slows the reaction of the controls down, but only initially.

brunoau

Thank you, John. I will follow your suggestion and look for this subject. I have a MZ-12 Graupner and I am not very dimesticated with it. I will try and find how to adiust the expo.

brunoau

I have now found that I should not alter the Tx settings but use instead Open Pilot to modify the behaviour of the craft. I did and the craft is now so easy to fly, even indoor, because is gently but accurately responding to control. I followed your suggestion and I created 3 different settings in the 3 available banks in Open Pilot. I can switch between them using a 3 positions switch on my TX. Thank you again for your input. I really appreciate it.