Well it finally happened

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/drone-crashes-british-airways-passenger-7776727

Oh wait, No it didn't. They haven't confirmed anything, they only think the plane hit something on approach. Actually very little information in the article and nothing to suggest it was a drone except the pilot thought it may have been a drone. This is why "drones" get such a bad name. Who in their right mind except a terrorist would even think of flying a drone near a busy airport? If they actually ever confirm one of these sightings and catch the operator I hope they string him up by his balls.

violetwolf

No joke. They conveniently left out "into" in the URL just to add effect. Sheesh.

Yes, UK tabloid journalism at its finest eh! I noticed that too. And the terrorist references... simply giving nutcases good ideas.

But that aside, 23 near misses in 6 months in just one country is a real and large threat.

Looks like the article has been updated. This isn't the original one I linked. Either way I find it suspicious how many sightings there are but nothing ever seems to be confirmed and no one is ever caught. I don't doubt that there are a lot of stupid people out there doing stupid things but it seems like someone is deliberately trying to crash into a plane from the number of times these type of articles turn up in the news.

Efliernz

Pete
Time to prove this stuff... instead of blindly creating stories.

I'm aware that there are stupid people out there... but we keep hearing about these close-calls but not much in the way of real evidence.
I'd like to see the statistics of media stories vs official incident reports...

Area21

Area21
The press, public and professionals all need to first appreciate a DRONE is any Unmanned Aerial Vehicle that is remotely controlled and within this Drone category there are aeroplanes, helicopters and multirotor aircraft. And it important to distinguish which was the offending Drone Type ?
There are regulations in the UK about flying Drones which I feel in general are sufficient, but with some small amendments it would help to make them easier to understand from a pilots views and easier for the authorities to apply when prosecuting. Yes some multrotors come pre programmed to not fly in pre set areas, but this to me is not the answer. Educating pilots of these aircraft is. The Uk already has voluntary registration in place called the BMFA and may be this needs to be enforced. I feel there is also Mass aspects (Total Flying Weight) to get to grips with because my little Micro Drone (multirotor aircraft) would not cause any threat to sparrow let alone a full sized aircraft. Yet my SkyJib X4TiQR would if flown irresponsibly. I just hope those in authority don't do what happened over the pond in the USA and allow this incident trigger a ill thought through knee jerk reaction.
Be responsible and fly safe
thumb.gif

Area21

Area21
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/drone-crashes-british-airways-passenger-7776727

Oh wait, No it didn't. They haven't confirmed anything, they only think the plane hit something on approach. Actually very little information in the article and nothing to suggest it was a drone except the pilot thought it may have been a drone. This is why "drones" get such a bad name. Who in their right mind except a terrorist would even think of flying a drone near a busy airport? If they actually ever confirm one of these sightings and catch the operator I hope they string him up by his balls.
This would not hurt a woman pilot !

Efliernz

Pete
In case the NZ media and the airline pilots feel they need the same training and awareness as the UK and US media - here's a guide to help them

Attachments

• drone.jpg
    drone.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 427

violetwolf

We'll need to press for stronger legislation on plastic bags! I think some form of operator licensing, and bag registration is in order..

Old Man

I think some legislation about reporting news accurately instead of sensationalizing without verifiable facts might be in order as well.

Old Man

Something people have to provide governments and lawyers. Not to be confused with the rumors, hearsay, and W.A.G's, the media politicians provide.

The pilot of that A320 should have his medical certificate questioned. Seems he might have an eyesight problem that if left uncorrected might disqualify him from holding a Class I medical..