FAA NPRM - Do I have terrible timing?

So I've filed for my 333 exemption, I expect to recieve it in about a month or so. In the meantime I've signed up to get my sport pilot$ licen$e in order to be fully legal to use my UAV for my business, I expect to finish that in about 2 months. But I'm now googling around and it seems like the word from the FAA is that they expect to have the new rules official by around June of this year? Do we think this is likely? Or are they blowing smoke and bureaucracy will hold things up for another year or more? Anybody here got the inside track? Yes I know flying is fun and licenses are nice to have but I really don't want to spend thousands of dollars and many many hours commuting to and from this tiny rural airport only to find out 2 weeks after I get my license that I don't need one after all... Advice??

Nathaniel

Does your livelihood depend on it? If so, I'd continue the course. I'd expect the FAA to grandfather the current process into whatever they come up with. However, there is no sure date the FAA will release the new rules or that all current 333 holders won't have to go through the new process. Last date I heard was July 27th.

Anyways, between Chicago weather and only one Sport Pilot DPE in the midwest, unless you are blocking out full weeks for training, expect the license to take longer than expected. My business partner and I just recently received our 333 and I earned my SPL in a two months including weather and scheduling conflicts delaying my check ride by a month.

Are you training out of 05C?

Yeah I'm expecting about a 2+ month process which is what makes the decision hard ... To finish in June and have the FAA turn it all upside down in July? My "livelihood" doesn't depend on it, as this is an extension of a larger ground-based video production company... but I'm sitting on a decent sized UAV investment that I'd rather not keep grounded.
Not 05C - there's an outfit that does lessions out of a couple small strips in the southwest burbs. But a ***** of a commute (that adds to the pain).
I feel like I'm flipping a coin... 50% chance I spend 5 grand and 2 months for no reason, 50% chance I decide to wait it out and nothing changes and I'm grounded all summer...

Nathaniel

I know the feeling. I always wanted a pilot license so the decision was a little simpler. $5k does buy a full set of batteries for a rig or a lot of other production gear. Have you considered the option of working with a 333 holding company and/or licensed pilots you are comfortable with until the new regulations are released?

SamaraMedia

I started my SPL last year, small grass airfield 15 min. from my home, have about 12 hrs in. With weather in NE it limits my opportunities to fly but we did have a fairly warm winter, unfortunately we remodeled our bathroom in the fall so funds for tight. Thinking of starting the 333 process now and completing my SPL but feel the same way about the 107 rule but the FAA has failed to meet any deadline so far. Look at the proposed micro drone ruling, some thought it might be approved by the end of March, nope. Not that a micro drone is what you will be filing a 333 for but just another example of their inability to meet a deadline. Say they do pass the new rules by the end of the summer, there is no telling what the process will be for approval there. If they need to setup some type of local testing facility in each state then it could be another year before we can finally act on it. I'm frustrated too, this is not my bread and butter but I've been holding out for too long to wait around for them get their s*** together. 333's seem to be flying off the floor and in some respect may mean a little more to a prospective client knowing you have one. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

Yeah the 333 is a given, it's filed and I expect it soon. The SPL seems like the "better safe than sorry" solution, but man I wish I had an airfield 15 min from my house... Maybe I can just parachute home after each lesson?

Old Man

Those holding a 333 will likely have advantages over a 107 operation. Higher altitude limits and a national blanket operations authority in legal airspace being two of them. The only reason I haven't filed is because I would have to be "current in type" which would cost way more than paying a lawyer to file. With so many already in the game and more to follow I can't justify the expense for the return. People flying consumer drones have and will continue to undercut the market for "small" work and bigger jobs will require a much larger equipment investment.

Old Man

It will not be a requirement if 107 is published as it was written. An aeronautical knowledge written test, TSA background check, and self medical certification were high points in the NPRM. Total cost to the applicant was predicted to be <$300.00.

I already have a pilot's license but I'm not current in type so the cost of currency would cost >$1,000.00 before I got to the 333 waiver documentation, hence my decision to wait. Since I held a commercial ASMEL instrument ticket I'm not sure what is considered"type". If held to commercial multi instrument standards it would be very, very expensive to become current.

Right, though holding a license is not a requirement to file for the 333 waiver, you could still file without one, as I did. The license is technically required to fly once the 333 is recieved. I guess the question is, will current 333 holders still be required to have the license after the 107 rule is applied, or do we expect they will roll us in to the $300 test standard?

Old Man

That would seem quite unfair considering what has been involved with acquiring a 333 waiver. But who ever said life was fair?