DJI files patent suit against Yuneec

Old Man

Only photos that can be shown were in the press release with the unit carrying the Insitu Scan Eagle uav. There's video of it in operation. I think the original article was in PopSci online and a news article from Reuters. Look up "Flares". They are really big.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetkrazee

Uplifting-photography.com

Old Man

Nothing available that I could pontificate about really. The doom and gloom is what most of us think about first for some reason but I don't have any info to go on.

jetkrazee

Nothing available that I could pontificate about really. The doom and gloom is what most of us think about first for some reason but I don't have any info to go on.
I just sent an email to the business from which I ordered mine from. I want to see what their thoughts/excuses may be.

Old Man

As of a post yesterday from a UK dealer on the FB Typhoon H Owners Group, the model has not left the factory yet. I think CarolinaDronz just received one, and only one, as a demo unit. Nothing to verify with but word has 4/29 as a new ship date.

jetkrazee

Hmmm. I haven't heard back from my dealer yet but as of last week Yuneec told him the 15th. Hell who knows!

jetkrazee

Just sent this to Yuneec.

Good afternoon, Can someone please tell me what is going on with getting the typhoon h out to those of us who have pre ordered? I have heard April 1st then it’s the 15th now I’m hearing the 29th!

Firmware upgrade was what I was told firstly was cause for delay of shipment, now I’m reading about a patent lawsuit between Yuneec and DJI. What gives??!! Please do not ask me to speak to the dealer

From whom I have already paid in full to as I need to hear from you the company. Thank you for your time".

Forrest Tainio

Upliftingphotography

Old Man

Forrest,

Earlier today Yuneec made a statement it would be shipping some time next week.

If you ordered from a dealer they would be a good source of information now that Yuneec had spoken. Of course there's the question of who will get them first and how many.

jetkrazee

Thank you for that information. That's at least some good news! My dealer is supposedly one of Yuneec's top distributors so hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones next week. ;)

Old Man

If that's CarolinDronz he is indeed a top notch dealer. Hard to find better. If not, who's second best?:)

Old Man

A Canadian that bought through Amazon Prime now has a shipping notification and tracking number.

JPG23

This takes me back to the "Ultimate American Muscle rivalry", so in 1964 Ford came out with the Mustang and 3 years later Chevrolet came out with the Camaro; what did Ford do? Sue Chevrolet for "patent infringement"? Nope, they went to back to the drawing board and came out with bigger and badder, that's when the war began. Later everyone else joined the war and started making "bigger and badder"! Same goes for Suzuki and Kawasaki, and the list goes on. It's called competition! This seems like something that'll eventually backfire on DJI when the proverbial fecal matter hits the flat surface of the "propeller"?! [yeah I giggled at that]

What's the point here? Yeah, they've[DJI] been selling for a while and they've done well for themselves, they've also come up with some pretty cool stuff; however, they mentioned "Active Track" in paragraph 19 and stepped on their tongue by mentioning "relative to target" in paragraph 27. I'm no legal analyst, but these two things are not the same. DJI came up with technology that will follow a selected target (if I understand it correctly) and Yuneec is selling technology that follows the transmitter, how is this the same?

I have yet to understand the rest of the lawsuit as I just read through it once and rather quickly (I'm at work). What I see is that DJI got a little mud on their face and now they're crying "but it was my idea".

jetkrazee

Off topic a bit but has anyone heard anything new in regards to faa rulings for commercial use that were supposed to be finalized first of April??

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
This takes me back to the "Ultimate American Muscle rivalry", so in 1964 Ford came out with the Mustang and 3 years later Chevrolet came out with the Camaro; what did Ford do? Sue Chevrolet for "patent infringement"? Nope, they went to back to the drawing board and came out with bigger and badder, that's when the war began. Later everyone else joined the war and started making "bigger and badder"! Same goes for Suzuki and Kawasaki, and the list goes on. [yeah I giggled at that]

Love this point you just made. Can you imagine what the world would be like if Ford had successfully patented the idea of "Take a small cheap car, and put a big engine into it."

The power of money it would appear.

Have a friend who is the sole supplier of "the most popular drones" to "the biggest retailer in the world". Sounds good right? Nope, he says it totally sucks.

jetkrazee

Finally got a reply from the faa. Here it is.

Thank you for your inquiry. The rule is expected to be finalized by late spring of this year, with implementation to follow shortly after.

Regards,

FAA UAS Integration Office

9-AFS-UAS-Inquiries@faa.gov

www.faa.gov/uas

Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2016 10:19 AM

To: 9-AFS-UAS-Inquiries (FAA)

Subject: Message from www.faa.gov: 9-AFS-UAS-Inquiries@faa.gov

This email was sent through the Federal Aviation Administration's public website. You have been contacted via an email link on the following page: http://www.faa.gov/uas/contacts/

----------------------

Hello, I'm sure you are overwhelmed with the same question but it there any hints to when a non-recreational use certification for uas is going into effect? Other than the 333 exemption.

Regards, Robert Tainio