DJI files patent suit against Yuneec

Y0urDaddy

Interesting... I was thinking of a Typhoon H myself. In honesty I have not been flying too much these days as I have been spending a lot of time studying for a certification exam. I have been in a mix of building a racer & checking out the H when it is released.

violetwolf

Perhaps Yuneec is not so unique after all? Man this stuff writes itself lol.

Annnd the irony of a CHINESE company suing another Chinese company for Copyright Infringement is truly hysterical! My god.

On a serious note, reading through some of the document it looks like DJI is claiming proprietary over things like "follow me" modes "point of interest" and " obstacle avoidance " ... All of which have been available in the open source sector long before DJI stole them.

They may have a case for "trade dress" due to similarities of the cowling but ...

I wonder if this will backfire on them badly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJI is just a Jealous Jenny as they know their customer service (and therefore end user satisfaction) is light years behind that of Yuneec. LOL at their POI, Follow Me, and whatever else complaints. This has been standard, OPEN SOURCE features from the likes of Arducopter/APM/Pixhawk since forever. DJI is beyond lame. Yes, I have a Typhoon H on order as well.

Old Man

Perhaps Yuneec is not so unique after all? Man this stuff writes itself lol.

Annnd the irony of a CHINESE company suing another Chinese company for Copyright Infringement is truly hysterical! My god.

On a serious note, reading through some of the document it looks like DJI is claiming proprietary over things like "follow me" modes "point of interest" and " obstacle avoidance " ... All of which have been available in the open source sector long before DJI stole them.

They may have a case for "trade dress" due to similarities of the cowling but ...

I wonder if this will backfire on them badly.

A DJI rep in another forum denies that, suggesting that DJI did them first, and that DJI's GPS has always been the best.....

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
A DJI rep in another forum denies that, suggesting that DJI did them first, and that DJI's GPS has always been the best.....
Mikrokopter actually had the features working GREAT before DJI, for the life of me I don't know why Mikrokopter doesn't speak up once in a while, they're like the Wright Brothers but get none of the credit they deserve

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
The "wars" have officially begun. Everyone now claiming to have an original idea .... Now all claiming to have been in it from the start. It started long before DJI with very creative hobbyists "experimenting" in their workshops. I have seen many talented folks make major contributions to this industry with little or no "official" credit. Many have tried to make a business of it, just to be choked out by the "Big" billion dollar company's and their lawyers. The bigger they get, the more the little guy gets choked out.
I am very fortunate to have so many loyal clients and now friends in this industry... That is my reason for being here. When it is all about power and profits, the clients eventually is the looser as well as this industry.
I mentioned it many times before.. This market has shifted to a small RTF big sales mass market industry. The self built market is shrinking, so company's will need to adapt to survive to a small niche market..
Just MHO...

Old Man

Mikrokopter actually had the features working GREAT before DJI, for the life of me I don't know why Mikrokopter doesn't speak up once in a while, they're like the Wright Brothers but get none of the credit they deserve

Agreed. I never could figure out why they felt a need to sell GPS "licenses" to open up more waypojnt capability though.

We do have the issue where so many inventors/creators came up with really good ideas and products but failed to patent them, or at least Copyright them. In the world of Multirotors the owner of DJI seems to think he can own the world and will likely have legal teams searching for concepts long in production but never patented that leave room him to file patents for. I can see "Toad in the Hole", Follow Me, collision avoidance, and other features being in this risk category. OTOH, a fair amount of what's out there is also adapted old military/aerospace technology so it will be interesting to see how DJI fares in battles with their legal teams when he steps on their toes. Object tracking was one such feature in play over 10 years ago.

violetwolf

It's going to get interesting that's for sure.

I wonder if DJI is more out to set legal precedent and test their patents than to actually win (which would be a bonus). Also the timing is right at the beginning of sales season... I'm sure they figure if they don't win they can at least stall Yuneec for the season, which might break them. So sleazy.

Just another reason for me to boycott.

Old Man

If that was the plan it may be working. Yuneec had referenced a 4/1 ship date for pre/ordered basic Typhoon H's, which slipped to 4/3, and has slipped again with no further date info due to a "firmware" update. Unless they have yet to develop and write the code I'm not believing it.

Old Man

Sad part is, DJI only holds that position for video rigs. Those that have gone far beyond taking pictures have found DJI to be a poor second to Pix based systems. Try building and flying a 4200mm X8 with an A2. Can't be done with repeated success.

fltundra

After two years of flying and never owning a DJI product. The P4 is a game changer. Being able to create a mission and have a moving target leashed in perfect poi tracking with Autopilot/Airspace and Litchi is amazing. I personally think the Yuneec has a big hill to climb, but will soon find out, as one of my friends has one on order.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Pitching is from a small firm. No reason others can not step their game. Be funny when DJI duplicates Litchi's features then get sued.

violetwolf

Surprised they're not going after 3DR... They are as "guilty" of using all the same features that Yuneec has "stolen"....

Because they'd get their bum handed to them and they know it...

I would love to see 3DR called as a professional witness.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
13.77 feet diameter...
Please post some photos....
Our largest to date has been a custom HO-2100 - 2100mm (just under 7' dia)
30" props- octo flat
WOW that's a BIG one even to us!!!!