ESC bullet connectors separating from circuit board

tomb18

Has anyone seen this? I have the range video 40A opto esc's (they are xztw spider esc's that use bullet connectors) and I have had issues with the bullet connectors separating from the circuit board.
Its as if the circuit board is multilayer, but 1/2 the thickness of the board just comes apart, with the bullet connector still attached, solder intact.
The first time this happened, the drone fell from the sky so I had no idea what happened. One arm / motor / esc combo was toast.
It happened again on the fourth flight. Again I could't tell what the issue was.
Rebuilt and today had another flight. The drone was just hovering above the ground about 1 foot high and then I saw the connector coming off and the drone just flipped at that point. Nothing broken but the bullet connector had separated from the circuit board. As I inspected the drone further, I found another ESC with a very loose bullet connector. But the connector is solidly soldered to the circuit board. Its the board itself that comes apart.
So, needless to say, I'm scraping these ESC's and going for fully soldered wires.
Can anyone explain why this is? I've done years of electronics and never saw this type of construction before.
Thanks

tomb18

Ok, I have uploaded two photos: They show how the connector is still attached to a piece of circuit board. And a perfect square of the circuit board has lifted of while still connected to the bullet. Not only that, the board is not a solid circuit board. It looks like it is perforated board with circuits added.
View attachment 27848 View attachment 27849

Attachments

• bullet-1.jpg
    bullet-1.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 329
  • bullet-2.jpg
    bullet-2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 281

violetwolf

Get money back, buy a different brand with solid reviews. Never buy from that vendor again.

This is a simple case of crappy construction followed by crappy quality control.

sledge57

Well these are ZTW Spiders! They are _supposed_ to be top notch. Unless Range Video has lied...

Clearly they're not.......
But I do see a lot of people who like the ZTW Spiders but I'm going to guess none of them have those bullets....

Last edited by a moderator:

tomb18

Well I just received ZTW Spiders from HobbyKing and though they look similar, the wires are soldered in a much more durable way. I can't see these coming off. Only issue being I will need to solder the wires. No problem. After two crashes, reliability comes first!