Hoping for some help, new flyer, pro photographer building a uav for a DSLR

Alwil

@Lylefk- I agree on the F550. The way it is setup is too light duty for a SLR camera.
Although the DT7 radio system is good- there would not be any channels left for
any other options. For your work I would use nothing smaller than a 800 size.

XNS

Ok,

So I think I'm going to with an f450 build. The group build thread here seems like a great way for me to get my feet wet. I'll piece that together, but I would like to go ahead and purchase the radio and battery charger that will be useable down the road with the bigger drone.

So suggestions on models to look at for radios and chargers? Things that matter?

For chargers, I'm seeing suggested the Hitec X2-400 and the ProgressiveRC iCharger 306B. Those were suggested over 2.5 years ago, still the best way to go?

Radios, Futaba is mentioned a lot but there are a lot of models and etc. Can someone point me to some sort of model breakdown/comparison?

Thanks!

Lyle
Hey Lylefk,
You have quite a list there. I think I read someone suggested a cheap all-in-one system to get your flying skills back in gear.
I also agree with a custom build because as your preferences if you do this regularly may require a component your inspire or other may fall short on. I referenced Inspire because I trained a photographer (you guys are awesome BTW!) who is using an Inspire now, but trained on a Walkera X350 Pro. He'll tell immediately how fortunate he was to have started on a small craft to build his piloting skills.
For what he would like to do n the inspire he can't so he is putting together a custom craft for his DSLR.

I started on Walkera Devo radios and still like and use them. I also use Spektrum DX9. However neither one of these radios are stock.
The DX9 has a DragonLink V2 and the Devo 10 is running the DragonLink (V3) Advanced LRS.
I didn't get these for the long range aspect but the security of tight true control. The furthest I've flown has been 3 miles round trip and I'm still a little nervous about that LOL.
But it is for close range in the inner city with the cluttered with 2.4 frequencies. I've experience glitches (dropouts) no crash but nerve racking
I personal love the voice alerts on the DX9 as it does so much. It is awesome to listen and fly as opposed to looking at the radio to confirm while flying/filming.

I'm flying a Daya 550 w/Naza-M v2 and iOSD Mini, a Tarot 650, a Tarot 650 Sport and currently building a Tarot 680 Pro Hexacopter. the hex will also be rigged with a Naza-M v2 and iOSD Mini, DragonLink TX/RX and LawMate VTX/VRX units. The OSD telemetry is priceless. I started with the Naza-M Lite which is awesome, but for what I needed it fell too short due to its limitations of add-ons. it is now on a Bumblebee 550 using the AR8000 RX. this and my Walkera x350 quads are my fly it like it's stolen birds. Sometimes I'll take one up before a photo flight. This is with the Naza-M Lite and the Devo 10 TX
I had a 2nd video TX setup but found it difficult to coordinate flying times with a co-pilot so I go solo. I'm using a 19' LCD ground station rigged with both 5.8 and 1.2 VRX units.

I think most of my posted flights list the parts. I haven't posted any YouTube 650 flights yet. but a full list and progress of the Daya 550 is up there.
I hope something in here helped.
My motto is read, read, try, fly (read - specs that is). Good luck with your build!! :)