XAircraft Using SuperX following a mayor crash?

traxx2003

Good morning everyone! It has been almost a year since I lost my M480 on a mayor crash, currently I'm in the final stages of my replacement build, a SkyHero 850mm. Now I can't decide if I should use the SuperX I salvage from the previous quad, or should I play it safe and go with a new FC. Has anybody actually re-used an FC after a serious crash?

mediaguru

Well, what was the cause of the crash? If the cause was the FC then NO WAY!

I've relaunched a 680 using the same FC (MiniX) after a completely devastating crash after determining the FC was not damaged.

traxx2003

That's the thing, I'm not 100% sure what caused it, however I do suspect that it was either the GPS antenna came off and wires where cut off by spinning prop, or an ESC failure. If you read my thread about the crash you can look at the black box flight log. Nothing was out of the ordinary until I lost complete control.

dazzab

Check the logs in the SuperX to see if they reveal anything. I haven't heard of the SuperX flipping out like other FCs can. It's pretty solid in my experience.

mspencer1

It's hard to tell. Taking a look I see some interesting stuff right at the end of the flight. From top to bottom. I see you were in GPS mode and then the fail safe turns on just before the crash. I can see some erratic RC control inputs at the very end probably in your response to the ship malfunctioning. The ships attitude appears to begin a slow pitch up. Eventually it reaches a high attitude and begins to roll to a left steep bank at a high roll rate. The gyro angle rate appears to correspond with the attitude readings. The height seems to correspond with the fail safe being activated but then shows a sharp loss of altitude (probably descending for landing). But it never appears to return to the takeoff altitude ( cuts off at around 20 meters in the air). Did it fall from that high? Number of satellites stayed high. However the GPS accuracy seems to spike just before the crash. Motor 1 and motor 4 appear to be a bit off. Mis alligned motors will cause a strong yawing tendency. But The yaw angle doesn't seem to show any yaw issues. What I do see is the ships yaw angle and magnetic heading appear to diverge a lot just before the crash. The only things that could cause that reading is 1) a yaw gyro failure but the gyro data doesn't support that. 2) a major magnetic disturbance 3) the magnetometer or gyro coming loose. Based on your suspicions I think your right about the GPS antenna coming loose. It's the only thing that seems to support the data. If you had a bad esc or motor you would see that response in the motor data.

mspencer1

take a look at your yaw and heading data. You will see how just before the crash the magnetic heading becomes way different than what the yaw data (gyro) says. Yaw data seems to remain more or less constant while the magnetic heading becomes way different. This in combination with the GPS flying the ship will definitely result in a crash.

traxx2003

Thank you for reviewing the files; originally I had suspected of the GPS mainly because the GPS antenna was the only part I didn't find at the crash site. One thing I do remember is that before the crash, the ship stopped responding to my control inputs, nothing worked. She just flew straight into the ground.

mspencer1

Thank you for reviewing the files; originally I had suspected of the GPS mainly because the GPS antenna was the only part I didn't find at the crash site. One thing I do remember is that before the crash, the ship stopped responding to my control inputs, nothing worked. She just flew straight into the ground.
Did it become unresponsive first and than go out of control or did it seem to happen all at once? Was the GPS antenna plug pulled out of the I/O module or was a cut piece of it found? Did the ship flip on its way down? Did you activate the failsafe manually or did the ship go into failsafe on its own? The fact you didn't find the GPS unit does seem to support the idea they became separated at altitude. But then again, what kind of terrain did it crash into? Tall grass, weeds or something similar? Like maybe the GPS was at the crash site but you couldn't find it. After a crash, if the GPS unit was found unplugged and close to the ship it would be harder to determine the cause (loose GPS and such). But since you never found it, that seems to support the GPS antenna becoming separated at altitude. Your altitude data cuts off at around 20 meters above the ground. Did your ship fall from 60 feet in the air like it was completely dead? The only thing I don't understand in the data is the GPS accuracy spike. It happened at the very end. I'm not sure what would cause that. But it does correspond with the heading and yaw data going weird. Perhaps thats just what the GPS accuracy readings do if the GPS antenna becomes unplugged.

Last edited by a moderator:

traxx2003

No, I was like 5-8 minutes into the flight, no problems at all, then all if the sudden the ship became unresponsive to my control inputs, motors continued to accelerate as the ship was coming down. I activate fail safe as a last ditch effort to save it but no luck. It crash on asphalt, it hit the ground at approximately 60-70kmh, nothing survived! Well except motors and FC. GPS antenna was never recovered but the cable was still attached to the I/O unit of the SuperX.

traxx2003

Correction, when I noticed that the ship was not responding to my inputs, the ship gain some altitude on its own, but much, then it went left very aggressively and that's when it started to descent very rapidly and the motors where going crazy fast, as if the ship was trying to correct it self. But again it never responded to my controls.

mspencer1

It is very odd for this controller to go crazy. Not impossible though. Im one of the people whom never had a super X go nuts. At most I've had a bad GPS signal. But once a controller does what yours did it becomes hard to trust again. But there is a lot of evidence that points to the GPS coming unplugged. If it stopped responding perhaps there was some sort of signal lock out. I would just fly at cautiously in a field that crashing might cause less damage while testing it out.