Large commercial machine with LIDAR with WP's - which FC?

Efliernz

Pete
Some background.
I've been commercially shooting aerial part-time for 8 years and started with the multi-way with discrete gyros... so long ago! While not overly-active with models now days (most of my commercial work is with a full-size) I do however mentor several people giving a non-sales biased recommendation to which machine, how to learn etc etc. I've made so many trainers for others... and as a tech-support engineer, I get a blast from seeing people succeed! I don't like seeing people taken for a ride by sales...

I've been asked for an opinion after a large manufacturer has recommended the Pixhawk to a newbee commercial group with almost no r/c experience. The groups first machine was supplied with the A2 and was so twitchy, it was almost unflyable. It's now gone...in bits... so the recommended factory turn-key replacement (not delivered or accepted yet) has a Pixhawk FC.

Now - if the experienced peoples could jump in here... do you consider the Pixhawk up to the job with at 15Kg LIDAR carrying a US$100,000 payload as a turn-key professional build? Plug n play?
I would have thought the Wookong would be the minimum "suitable for purpose" system with a highly complex, multi-downlink, waypoint following heavy-lift professional build.

The Pixhawk may be loved by many but as a relatively cheap open-source device, I personally wouldn't hang $100,000 camera under one.
Many thanks :)

Pete

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I do love my Pixhawks, but I wouldn't hang $100,000 under anything for a 'newbee commercial group'. What's the application?

dazzab

I totally understand your hesitation to use a Pixhawk. However, as far as I know it uses the same exact sensors/chips that any consumer level flight controller does. And mobile phones for that matter. It was the mass market for mobile phones that made the components so cheap in the first place. They are all cheap. It's not the hardware that is the issue it's the software. Arducopter has come a very long way and is still evolving in leaps and bounds.

You can actually express your concerns and questions directly to the team that writes the code and they will give you a totally up front candid response. Everything they do is totally exposed for all to see. So just ask them if anyone else is doing what you are proposing to do. They will put you in touch with other users and let you know what issue you may or may not run in to. For the price you can't really go wrong. Test it, and if you don't like it move on.

Pixhawk and the FOSS firmware are being used for some pretty amazing projects. Greenpeace flies X8 wings with it off their ships to search for things as just one of many examples. I have a Wookong on my Skyjib coax Octocopter and I'd love to switch it out the Pixhawk now that it's matured to where it is. Unfortunately I had the Wookong on it when I did my CASA certification so if I switch in now I'd have to go through a lot of paper work and test fly it again for CASA. Not worth the trouble at this point in time.

Av8Chuck

We are an official hardware manufacturer for DroneCode, the open source software developers, and we recently released the PixRacer. We developed it using better, what some are calling "next generation" components. The thing to keep in mind is that most of the "hobby" grade FC's were built to be as small as possible out of the least expensive components as practicable. That's not to say that the Pixhawk is a bad controller.

The PixRacer is a great little controller but it wasn't designed for the kind of application your talking about. We have a more commercial grade controller coming out shortly designed to carry industrial payloads like LIDAR.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there's much more to LIDAR than the weight and expense. Depending on what kind of aerial surveying your trying to do it might require sub-centimeter accuracy so there needs to be a way to augment the FC with more accurate nav-aides.

PM me if your interested in learning more. We hope to have the first boards into the hands of the software developers by the end of the month and then beta testing in April. Its probably about three of four months before we can get it into a wide enough release to really work out any issues. We're just starting a relationship with Worley-Parsons, an Australian engineering firm here in the States. I could use some time in Australia and New Zealand.

I was born in Geelong and we honeymooned in New Zealand...

Efliernz

Pete
Thanks for that Av8 and all :)

The problem here is that the company required full certification of their setup, manuals, training and all. Cost doesn't matter and I'm not doubting that it does look capable and frankly awesome... but it's been recommended/pre-sold as "fit-for-purpose" turnkey plug and play by a "reputable company" for this heavy-lift purpose for a group that know nothing and rely on sales/support. To quote the sales person "you plug it in, push the button and it does everything. " I'm cringing too!!!

If you are involved with Pixhawk and you make statements like "The PixRacer is a great little controller but it wasn't designed for the kind of application your talking about. We have a more commercial grade controller coming out shortly designed to carry industrial payloads like LIDAR. " - that speaks volumes for
1) your honesty and integrity (not bad for an Aussie ;) )
2) Where you want to take Pixhawk :)

Thanks a heap

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

I do love my Pixhawks, but I wouldn't hang $100,000 under anything for a 'newbee commercial group'. What's the application?

We do, and have absolute trust in the system's reliability. When our systems go up they put many hundreds of thousands of $ of payload in the air. The Pixhawk also allows tremendous software modification for the flexibility necessary to perform tasks/operations specialized for the design application. Because the customer is inexperienced does not mean they should use a simple or easy to use flight controller. Far from it, they should be using the best they can obtain and avail themselves of the training necessary to become knowledgeable and proficient with its use. PX4 and the Dronecode products are other excellent options. If one is a commercial/pro they should use professional level equipment to assure the maximum level of safety and reliability, not amateur.

violetwolf

Another strong endorsement for the xxxhawk system from me. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for your purposes.. The wetware you mention is of concern though as noted by others above ;)

Old Man

AV8Chuck will be a very good source of information for xxxhawk type FC's and functionality going forward.