DJI Phantom 4 Official Owners' Thread

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
As of this afternoon, the Phantom 4 is a thing!

The DJI Phantom 4 is DJI’s smartest flying camera. Capable of avoiding obstacles, flying with a tap, and automatically tracking a subject. It is more than a camera, it is your creative sidekick. Flying has never been more fun, nor has professional aerial imagery been so easy.

p48.jpg

CAMERA
A re-designed 8 element aspherical lens further reduces fisheye distortion, minimizes chromatic aberration and enhances corner sharpness. Record video at super crisp 4K at 30fps and 1080p at 120fps, and capture 12 megapixel and Adobe DNG RAW compatible stills for a professional look.

EXTENDED FLIGHT TIMES
Expanded battery capacity and improved efficiencies throughout the Phantom 4 bring flight times to 28 minutes, giving you more time in the air to catch that perfect shot.

The Phantom 4 boasts sweeping curves, elegant lines and a polished shell that redefines the classic Phantom 4 shape. Its exquisite detailing and matt finish composite components add a level of finish and quality never seen before in a flying camera.

Fly with Tap

Flying is easy for everyone. Double tap the screen to fly. An Obstacle Sensing System keeps the Phantom safe as it goes, and Smart Return Home returns it to you more safely.

Phantom4-4.jpg

Visual Tracking

ActiveTrack lets you track a subject automatically, no band or beacon required, with obstacle avoidance keeping the Phantom clear of objects. Moving POI lets everyone shoot previously impossible shots.

Phantom4-5.jpg

Extended Flight Time

Advanced propulsion systems, highly integrated and more streamlined design combined with a larger capacity battery gives the new Phantom 25% more effective flying time.

Phantom4-6.jpg

Sport Mode

A brand new Sport mode brings responsive controls and the thrill of speed everywhere. An integrated gimbal and new battery positioned to move the center of gravity close to the aircraft’s core combines with raised motors that increase torque reaction, and a reliable flight control system which precisely controls the aircraft’s movement to make flight at high speeds safer.

Phantom4-7.jpg

Advanced Aerodynamics and Stability

The Phantom 4’s sleek, streamlined and highly integrated form minimizes buffeting when flying in strong winds and against gusts from any angle, keeping its movements predictable and precise. A tightly integrated gimbal lifts the center of gravity close to the core, boosting its stability even further.

Phantom4-10.jpg

Multiple Flight Modes

The Phantom 4 is flexible enough to meet different flying demands. In Position mode you can use satellite and Vision Positioning, TapFly, ActiveTrack and Intelligent Flight Modes. Sport mode adds extra agility and speed, reaching 45mph (72kph) while maintaining satellite and Vision Positioning systems. Atti holds the Phantom’s altitude and level but switches off satellite positioning making it ideal for smooth film making movements.

Phantom4-2.jpg

Sense and Avoid

We all use our eyes to see and interact with the world. A forward Obstacle Sensing System gives the Phantom 4 it its own pair of eyes, empowering it to see in three dimensions and to react. In Normal Mode if it sees an obstacle coming close it will stop and hover. In TapFly, ActiveTrack and Smart Return Home modes it will avoid the obstacle, or hover to avoid a collision. It also gives you warnings so you always know what is happening to the Phantom. The downward facing Vision Positioning module contains dual cameras and dual ultrasonic sensors to offer five times more positioning accuracy than previous systems. Used indoors, it provides a GPS-like flying experience, giving you the confidence you need to fly indoors.

Phantom4-8.jpg

High Performance Camera

Capture moments that will last a lifetime or take aerial film making to a higher level with the powerful Phantom 4 camera, featuring 4K video capture at 30 frames per second and full HD 1080p at 120 frames per second for smooth slow motion. An aspeherical lens with a 94° field of view (FOV) reduces distortion by 36% and chromatic aberration by 56% when compared to a Phantom 3. A reduced hyperfocal length of one meter allows you to get closer to objects while keeping them in pin-sharp focus.

Phantom4-9.jpg

Professional Post Production

A total of 10 color profiles are available to give you the look you need or the image data you want. These range from a Vivid mode that amplifies color and contrast to create videos that look incredible without extra processing, to Cine-D and D-Log modes offering high dynamic range footage for professionals, providing the best color space for post-production. The power to edit is also essential for professional photography, so the Phantom 4 boasts not just 12 megapixel photos but also Adobe DNG RAW support as well as lens profiles built straight into to Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.

Phantom4-10.jpg

Integrated Gimbal

The Phantom 4’s camera is equipped with the latest in camera stabilization systems. Featuring a specially designed u-frame structure that provides better stabilization. Its movements are controlled by a Gimbal Control Unit that is in constant communication with both the gimbal’s Inertial Measurement Unit and the Phantom 4’s flight controller so that it can prepare for the Phantom 4’s movements before they happen. This gimbal is accurate to a highly precise ±0.03°, coupled with custom designed dampers, the gimbal ensures smooth footage.

Phantom4-11.jpg

Intelligent Flight Positioning

The Phantom 4 draws on up to 24 satellites to give you more accuracy and a faster connection to satellites, keeping you in complete control of your flight. Using a combination of GPS and GLONASS it is completely aware of its starting point and location and relation to you during flight. This intelligence means it knows its last position, provides return to home, shows you where it is on a map and much more.

Phantom4-12.jpg

Built-in Redundancies

On rare occasions, inconsistencies in compass or IMU data can affect the way an aircraft behaves. The Phantom 4 features dual compass modules and dual Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs) that allow it to constantly compare the data it is receiving through both pairs. This data is run through advanced algorithms to check accuracy and any inaccurate data is simply discarded without affecting flight.

Learn More

fltundra

Friend of mine pre-ordered one and he wants me to set it up and test fly it for him. :D
Looking forward to my first phantom experience.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Friend of mine pre-ordered one and he wants me to set it up and test fly it for him. :D
Looking forward to my first phantom experience.
I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

As I understand it, the camera options are the same as the Phantom 3 but the flying options are expanded with the Phantom 4

I was tempted by the feature set but am put off by two things: 1. It's DJI and 2., it's really ugly (as least to my eyes). In fact, it appears DJI made this version of the Phantom even more "toy like" than previous models. I wish I could get the feature set offered here in something like the Prodrone Byrd link which looks like it will never be assigned a release date and when they do get around to it will be blown away by advanced feature sets offered by DJI. Very frustrating!

fltundra

As I understand it, the camera options are the same as the Phantom 3 but the flying options are expanded with the Phantom 4

An aspeherical lens with a 94° field of view (FOV) reduces distortion by 36% and chromatic aberration by 56% when compared to a Phantom 3. A reduced hyperfocal length of one meter allows you to get closer to objects while keeping them in pin-sharp focus.

sledge57

An aspeherical lens with a 94° field of view (FOV) reduces distortion by 36% and chromatic aberration by 56% when compared to a Phantom 3. A reduced hyperfocal length of one meter allows you to get closer to objects while keeping them in pin-sharp focus.

English man, English....... :D

fltundra

My business partner dropped off a Phantom 4 and it is an amazing quad. But when it comes down to the way it feels and flies, having never flown a Phantom, the SuperX is still my favorite for smoothness. But the F-ing video from the 4 is mind boggling. This was the first daylight flight. :)
Wind speed at time of video:
Weather Conditions for MLRF1
March 24, 2016 - 16:21 EDT
11:00 76.8 22 25 ESE
30.10 76.8
10:00 76.8 22 24 ESE
30.09 76.8

Last edited by a moderator:

fltundra

I gotta say, the 4 has absolutely blown me away. This thing is so portable and easy, flies like nobody's business in gusty winds. First DJI product I've flown since starting this endeavor 2 years ago. They sell this thing as everyone can fly a Phantom. That's a joke! For me, It was a breeze. But for the average Joe, it's going to be overwhelming steep learning curve if they don't crash first. Raw video from yesterday morning.
Impresses me most the way it holds roll level and no vibrations!:)

SamaraMedia

Looks good fltundra. What kind of range did you get, some have complained the Lightbridge doesn't have the range of the P3P, I know you never flew one of those but curious to your distance from home each direction. Amazed at how desolate it was, nobody around but you.

I purchased a P3P just prior to a trip to Aruba knowing the P4 would be available when I got back but I didn't want all the bells and whistles of the 4. I can also say I was blown away with how stable the little bird is in wind! Aruba has a constant tradewind and I was a little leery of flying out over the ocean with a new machine but before you knew it I was chasing kite boarders, sailboats etc... in those winds with confidence.

fltundra

Looks good fltundra. What kind of range did you get, some have complained the Lightbridge doesn't have the range of the P3P, I know you never flew one of those but curious to your distance from home each direction. Amazed at how desolate it was, nobody around but you.

I purchased a P3P just prior to a trip to Aruba knowing the P4 would be available when I got back but I didn't want all the bells and whistles of the 4. I can also say I was blown away with how stable the little bird is in wind! Aruba has a constant tradewind and I was a little leery of flying out over the ocean with a new machine but before you knew it I was chasing kite boarders, sailboats etc... in those winds with confidence.
Range has been amazing for me, considering it's at least double the range of the frsky x8r w/HD video no less in the high RF enviroment I fly. Handles wind like nobody's business, as you know, and can see in the video I posted.
Definitely hooked,... line and sinker.:D
Still, the SuperX holds it's own pretty well for the 3 year difference in technology. But the portability and ease of setup, it's a no brain-er.

fltundra

Take a look at your lipo temp at the end of your flights, and please let me know what kind of temps your seeing?
I am seeing 55-62 deg C at between 15 and 25% capacity remaining in an ambient temp of 83 deg F.
Seems really high.

SamaraMedia

Take a look at your lipo temp at the end of your flights, and please let me know what kind of temps your seeing?
I am seeing 55-62 deg C at between 15 and 25% capacity remaining in an ambient temp of 83 deg F.
Seems really high.

They do feel a little warm when I take them out. I find that info in one of the menus correct? Way too windy to fly here today so maybe tomorrow can get you those readings.

Yes the portability is what sold me. I still enjoy my F550 and Tarot X6 but they are beasts to transport with radio, tray or tripods and monitors. Throw the backpack on and grab my iPad and go...

The one thing that I don't like is the constant updates common with DJI. The other morning I went out for a quick flight only to find that I couldn't because I needed to update the RC, which I had just done two nights before. Funny thing was when I got home to update everything checked out as "Normal". I remember SleepyC talking about turning off the auto update feature which I thought I had but found I didn't.