A little help please - video footage of crash

OhHey

So I was testing some changes in my fpv equipment that I have been having issues with when another problem arose. I was out in my normal flight path with my F450 when I started to loose video, I am used to flying through blue screen so I just pulled back a bit on the throttle, the screen came back for just a second and the last thing I saw was the camera going sideways. You can see in the video I had a chance to recover but with no video I was blind and panicking. I am hoping someone can give some insight as to what could have gone wrong. My only thought as of now is perhaps a finicky motor or esc although I have never had a problem.... Any help would be greatly appreciated, the bird is grounded until I can get a better idea and do testing in a field.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
consider yourself lucky you didn't hit anyone or anything. it would be at least $1000 to remove dents and repaint the damaged area of a car if it happened to hit one.

the squealing sounds could be an ESC losing timing with the motor or a motor bearing going bad. are any of the motors tight or were any of the ESC's really hot still by the time you found it?

I'd probably fly it again for as long as possible but keep it close to you and low enough that it won't be at risk of being lost again. After a while check for a bad motor or ESC by touching them lightly after the flight. they can be really hot when they're going bad so be careful.

You might also want to find a big park to fly at, flying over a neighborhood like that will eventually motivate someone to ban as much RC flying as possible. We have to be responsible with our "drones" or we'll be fighting just to fly even at the safe spots.

OhHey

All of the motors seem fine and everything was cool when I found it. I will be going the route of extensive testing before seeing any sort of height again. I usually fly at a local park or over the frozen lake. After logging many hours of time I decided to check out my neighborhood.

Quite embarrassing as I am always the one harping on fellow flyers to be mindful or we will find our hobby swallowed up by strict laws.

Thanks for the watching and giving some ideas, hoping someone will see something I didn't....

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
When you were first hovering it seemed to be toilet bowling, which suggests the compass needed calibrating. As it went down it was doing quite a large toilet bowl (spiral) into the ground.

Motors sounded fine to me. Looks like a FC problem. Magnetic interference? Power wires? Could of been an ESC giving up the ghost also. The sudden flip seemed a bit like an ESC in it's death throes.

I'd go for an F550 also. It'll survive having a motor/ESC fail if you're worried about redundancy.

OhHey

I had re-calibrated the compass the day before but have also been chasing an issue of it wandering even with 8+ satellites. I am used to flying my 250 racer so I am not real sensitive to the wandering issues but I have been trying to pay more attention lately. It doesn't seem to like to stay put real well....

I actually have an F550 that I built but have been hesitating to swap everything over as I already have invested in four batteries for the F450 that will be a bit small for the 550.

To be honest I have been getting a bit discouraged with the Naza platform.... I will be powering through and trying to address all the issues I seem to be running into....

Going forward I suppose I should try to put a couple hours of low hovering in to try to replicate my issue at a proximity where I can try to figure out which arm is giving me problems.... I have plenty of motors and escs to sway out if I can isolate the problem.

jbrumberg

OhHey-

Have you set (rotated) the GPS/compass puck to adjust for magnetic declination/deviation? You should be offset - 12° to -14° based on a rough read of a magnetic declination chart.

There deviation/declination software programs on the internet that would give you your exact figure.

JB

OhHey

I did some reading on that and did a rough adjustment but this is a good time for me to get it more exact (especially considering the fact that the compass mount broke clean off in the crash:rolleyes:)

My most recent attempts at both cleaning up my video transmission and address the gps wander included spreading everything out on the frame as much as possible.... Not a lot of space to work with there.

JCLs

I had re-calibrated the compass the day before but have also been chasing an issue of it wandering even with 8+ satellites. I am used to flying my 250 racer so I am not real sensitive to the wandering issues but I have been trying to pay more attention lately. It doesn't seem to like to stay put real well....

I actually have an F550 that I built but have been hesitating to swap everything over as I already have invested in four batteries for the F450 that will be a bit small for the 550.

To be honest I have been getting a bit discouraged with the Naza platform.... I will be powering through and trying to address all the issues I seem to be running into....

Going forward I suppose I should try to put a couple hours of low hovering in to try to replicate my issue at a proximity where I can try to figure out which arm is giving me problems.... I have plenty of motors and escs to sway out if I can isolate the problem.
I honestly would try Vector controller over NAZA. I believe with their new V2 GPS module you will not be disappointed.

KG5BBF AMA#954079