XAircraft Is Xaircraft Technical support gone? I need help.

mspencer1

"mspencer1" Could you please look into this eBay Pixhawk. Looking at the 3DR Robotics site, they sell just the board for $199 adn GPS antenna for $89. How come this one is so cheap? I'm assuming it is probably a clone; Would you buy this? In Amamzon, they have a complete set similar to the ebay one, but is listed at $405.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pixhawk-PX4-2-4-6-32-bit-ARM-Flight-Controller-6M-7M-GPS-Led-PPM-I2C-PM-433-OSD/351346472508?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=fb98745d977a425bb781cb4b2fca9719&pid=100338&rk=5&rkt=17&sd=111555697474
As motopreserve said it is all open source so he's right. Technically there is no clones. There are just cheaper versions. If you buy the whole set from 3DR your looking at around $400. Thats for the controller, Radio Modem, GPS and accessories. If you buy a china version it will cost around $180 for everything. Thats why this flight controller is so low cost. Its open source. I own 5 of them from China and so far I've had success with all of them.
I still have to install the Status file on one of my Super X's and see what happens. I'll find out it it works for Octo's and Hex's.

traxx2003

Great info guys, I'm still debating between Puxhawk or give SuperX another try. Going with Pixhawk for me it would be to start from zero and learn a whole new flight controller. I like the simplicity of SuperX but after loosing an aircraft with it, I'm a little afraid it may happen again. Also, for my new build, I want to use a UHF control system and I'm not sure if both FC's are compatible with that type of control system.

mspencer1

So here is a little update. Its been a little while since I posted about the leveling issue with the Super X. After installing the new status file via the instructions it appears to have worked. I have not test flown it yet. But all looks OK according to my computer. But the way, it doesn't matter if you have a pro version or not. The file will work for all versions. I was afraid it would somehow erase the file that says I own a pro version but all is OK. I'll let everyone know as soon as I test fly. On the pixhawk side of things, if you are considering moving to a pixhawk for a heavy lift ship (DSLR or Red epic) it handles the loads just fine. Not as smooth as a super X but it works great!

mspencer1

I test flew the recalibrated Super X's. It works great. The leveling issue is gone. But what a hassle. I have not gotten a single reply from Tech Support. A forum member (traxx2003) had to help me out. He had the proper file I needed to fix it. But what happens next time when there is a new issue? Its such an excellent flying controller that is hard to get away from. But anyways the file I was given to recalibrate level for both my controllers has worked and it doesn't matter which Super X you have. It works for all versions.

traxx2003

Mspencer I'm glad the files fixed your controllers, I agree it is a shame that XAircraft is not offering any customer support. For me however after loosing my Align M480 on a mayor crash with the SuperX, I've lost all confidence on the FC. I'm currently building a SkyHero 850, and I'll be going with Pixhawk.

mspencer1

I've recently built a heavy lift X8 with Pixhawk for my cameraman. He lives in Maui and messes around with a DJI Phantom. But the constant winds in Maui give him trouble and he ended up crashing it in the ocean. He recovered it but the electronics were toast. The X8 I built him is obviously much heavier and can handle the wind. I test flew it a few days back with 20-30 mph winds. I flew it Manually as well as with GPS. Position holding was very good (or as good as you could expect in that kind of wind). The ship was pitching and rolling a lot fighting the winds but it held its position. The Pixhawk is full of features the Super X doesn't have. A Very important one is low battery failsafe. You can tell it to RTH and Land when your battery is low. You can also set the battery reserve point so it can make it home. If the battery level drops way to low you can also tell it to land wherever its at.

fltundra

The Pixhawk is full of features the Super X doesn't have. A Very important one is low battery failsafe. You can tell it to RTH and Land when your battery is low.
Absolutely wrong! Never had an issue in now over two years and 100's of hours flight time. Letting your lipos get to that discharge level is dangerous and unsafe. Proper flight management/planning needed. You should always have a minimum of 25% of pack capacity remaining upon landing.

Filthy

Agreed. I have a SuperX pro that's been on a 3 different craft. Never had an issue with it. As long as the failsafe is set up correctly on your radio, no reason why you couldn't depend on it. I've tested it several times on each copter, but never had to use it during an actual gig. Plus the OSD flashes the low voltage warning on screen when it hits the number you set in the computer (not to mention you should be monitoring voltage during the flight anyway). I set it slightly on the conservative side so I can always come back even into a decent headwind. I too live on Maui. So I'm very familiar with flying in tropical tradewinds. And "landing whever it's at" is not an option most of the time.

mspencer1

Actually Both of you are misunderstanding me. The Super X does not have a built in low battery failsafe RTH trigger but rather a low battery alert. I'm taking about the RTH or Auto Land being activated by the Super X controller when the voltage has reduced to a certain level. No where in the manual does it say that it can Auto trigger a RTH from a low battery. I understand the OSD says it on the screen LOW BATTERY if your using an OSD. But it will not trigger RTH or Auto Land. I agree power management is critical. I've never had a failsafe trigger a RTH with any of my controllers. But consider the newbie. He's learning about power management and doesn't pay attention. This is a safeguard for the "just incase" scenario. As far as landing wherever its at due to a low battery.....well there are two options. If you allowed your battery to get that low (and we know that people do) and RTH was too far away your either going to crash or put it down where its at. If you were unlucky enough to be flying over water when that happens then so be it. But once again i'm just talking about the safeguards that could help a less experienced pilot.

Miguel Shtamoff

I own three super x octos. Two of them have some leveling issues. They don't like to return to a perfectly level. As a result the GPS has a hard time controlling its position. It always want to bank slightly right. On controller did this right out of the box while the other controller took a little longer to develop the problem. I've contacted technical support a aircraft several times now and zero response. Does anyone know whats happening?
Hello I will tell you my own experience. I bought 3 complete controllers xaircarft, with autopilots, AHRS, etc, 3 years ago, in that moment was the last version V4, never work fine, paid $450 for each and had the same problem you have, at least sent to China for control, when Xaicraft received the box, test and said, we have not spare part for this old controller, we can offer the new one model, I ask at what price? They reply and I compared with same brand and model, the price they gived to me was 20% more expensive than a normal dealer like goodluckbuy.com. Conclusion I will never buy that brand. Have bad tech support. I hope that info help.

KeithG

I am new to the DroneVibe forum and just read this thread on problems with the SuperX FC. I purchased a custom XScope from XAircraft America two years ago and lost all support when they disappeared. ( the support wasn’t that great before either ) I have, what X America called, an XScope Pro which has X 650 motors, mounts and ESCs and a custom lower plate that allows mounting a Stella gimble with a GoPro. I thought it was an X Aircraft production model then realized it was a custom model that only X America created. I decided to keep it and have been pleased with its performance although I had to make a few changes that were overlooked. Since X Aircraft America was so short lived, I may have the only one.
I have not had any issues with the Super X but would like to keep it current. Could you send me the file please. keithgur@gmail.com

Darson Hall

This happened once while flying the Super X. I landed, shut everything down, re-started and it was gone. But might be a good idea to get this file while it's still out there. If you wouldn't mind, please send it. Thanks.

JimbobMcCoi

Juhu - KeithG & traxx2003 - Please would you share this file?

I found on rcgroups this link to an xaircraft ftp storrage but there is no config file

download.xaircraft.cn