Just another new guy

toofuzzy

Recently retired, the kids thought I needed something to do besides watch "Day of our Lives" and they chipped in for an AR Drone. Thank you Thank you. I quickly followed the advice of the forum and purchased a Hubsan X4 which is getting a heck of a work out! Although appreciative of my gift however quickly realize the inherit limitations of the AR. ( I must be doing something right as I've already cracked an arm! -lol) I have a technical back ground with the airlines so building my next MR is a logical step. I'll take it slow, learn the process before I jump off the cliff. I'm following Bartman's 2016 build and currently working my way through the 2014 build and videos. Lots and lots of material to digest, lots and lots of forums to read, and lots and lots of opinions to decipher. Greetings all, be patient as I'm sure I'll have questions that mostly have been asked before!
Toofuzzy

FLJim

Hi toofuzzy and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you are on the right track with lots and lots of reading. It took a bit for it all to click when I was trying to figure it out, but its not quite as complicated and mysterious as it might seem at first. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you don't find a clear answer.

I believe toofuzzy is referring to the Parrot AR.Drone. The AR seems to stand for Augmented Reality in this case and I think they use that because it is FPV to your smartphone. The AR.Drone is indeed a MR!

toofuzzy

Yes, a Parrot AR Drone. The technology is neat. I love hands off/hover and the RTH features when I panic (which truthfully is a lot) but hate the ipad/iphone thing. Spending $399USD on the Parrot controller is, as our British friends would say, false economy as it does not translate across other platforms. 400 bucks would go along way toward a real radio and battery charger that would be usable across the RC world. I"m looking at the game controller route as a stop gap but I'm vested in apple IOS vs Android making it still more money than I want to spend on a closed end deal.
I got more time than money so I'll continue to read, fly the Husban X4 (which is in the hangar at the moment for motor replacement- something to do with a sudden stoppage, an oak tree, then another 50 foot sudden stoppage) and try to avoid said oak tree with the AR...

Thanks