Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

012714HHTemplateDivider

50234-PartsHeader-Air

WE'RE HERE TO HELP
HELI
888.959.2304AIR 888.959.2305SURFACE 888.959.2306

violetwolf

I've noticed this too. I'm wondering if Xmas sales weren't what everyone expected and they're stuck with bills and overstocked.

Old Man

Had a conversation with a dealer yesterday that alluded to exactly that. Those predicted massive numbers of multirotor sales for Christmas did not happen. In fact numbers were far below the 2014 stats. All the dealers had ordered and stocked considerable inventory in anticipation of large sales volume using "no pay until sold, return if not sold at no charge" agreements with the distributors and manufacturers and tremendous numbers of unsold inventory is being returned to the distribution sources. There's a feeling the multirotor craze has peaked and all the manufacturers/distributors are chopping prices to clear the returned inventory. Better to make some money than none.

Stacky

Had a conversation with a dealer yesterday that alluded to exactly that. Those predicted massive numbers of multirotor sales for Christmas did not happen. In fact numbers were far below the 2014 stats. All the dealers had ordered and stocked considerable inventory in anticipation of large sales volume using "no pay until sold, return if not sold at no charge" agreements with the distributors and manufacturers and tremendous numbers of unsold inventory is being returned to the distribution sources. There's a feeling the multirotor craze has peaked and all the manufacturers/distributors are chopping prices to clear the returned inventory. Better to make some money than none.

I am wondering if this is true as well, am thinking the next growth (already under way) is for drone racing rather than aerial photography.

Old Man

At the consumer level, perhaps but the longer term focus is flowing to commercial application development. Our gov has been throwing a whole lotta federal grant money to some colleges for advanced development of commercial level sUAS technology, heavily weighted towards agriculture and regulatory specifics. Knowledge gained from development grants typically gravitates towards large corporations with large dollars tied up in government contracts that leverage the info into products and services that will be sold as part of new government contracts. Money flows in an uphill but circular motion, making several trips around the circle, with each trip having the same people take a little more out of the pot each time it goes around.

violetwolf

This trend doesn't surprise me at all. Ive thought from the outset that the consumer end is just a fad.

Military, police, SAR, commercial inspection is the sector that makes sense. And as OM points out these areas are pretty much closed to the small businessman.

violetwolf

Oh and I'll add a prediction that the "video drone guy for hire" will descend into a cutthroat race to the bottom dollar in most towns. It's already heading that way here.

ProfEngr

Oh and I'll add a prediction that the "video drone guy for hire" will descend into a cutthroat race to the bottom dollar in most towns. It's already heading that way here.

That's the way most 'competitive' business arenas go. Seeing it in the power industry for years.

Old Man

Rick, that state was a given two years ago, when all the uninformed figured their "work" to be featured on the next cover of Nat Geo after buying a Mobius or Go Pro. The only problem with it was all the real professionals managing to stay alive until the children raced to the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator: