So how do yall feel about drones flying over your property?

Stacky

The issue of people objecting to drones flying over in the vicinity of the public is going to become more discussed over the next few years. In wilderness areas many people go hiking or exploring and part of the attraction to do that is the serenity and isolation of nature etc. Being a few miles from anywhere, enjoying the outdoors and all that nature brings can be interrupted by the buzz of a drone nearby. I can fully understand it.
A couple of weeks ago I shot some aerial footage for a friend who owns a large bit of remote forestry on an island. The property is about 30 acres in size and has a mile long beach on one end of it. Its a 30 minute drive on unsealed roads to get to and then a 5 minute walk through bush to get to the beach. The footage he wanted required me flying out over the sea and showing the property from the air with the water, beach, hills and forest in the footage. I had been waiting for a few weeks to do this as he wanted the footage to show high tide. Down here in NZ we are having an El Nino summer which for us means lots of wind so I had been checking tides, sun and wind for a while. Finally got a break 2 days after xmas when all 3 would be good. It meant that i would need to be filming from about 9am but would only need 2 batteries worth of flying over the water for that particular shot.
I arrived on the beach and saw one smallish boat 100 meters out. Set up and started flying and filming. The boat was in the middle of the bay which meant I was flying around it. Total time in the air was less than 10 minutes. As I was bringing my multi in to land at the end of the flight I could hear people on the boat shouting at me to F off. So I decided to pack up and head back to my car and get on with the other shots needed. My car was a 5 minute walk through the bush to get to. While packing up my car 2 guys came out of the bush, they had been on the boat and had taken their dinghy to the beach and followed me through. They proceeded to yell abuse at me and one of them was pushing me around. Being on my own I couldnt really fight back so had to try and explain what i was doing and keep things calm. After a few minutes they left and headed back to their boat.
Their reaction was a bit over the top but I think there will be more and more confrontations coming for drone operators in the wild. Down here in NZ our Dept of Conservation has just banned drones from flying in a couple of our national parks due to the general public complaining about their intrusiveness.
I had full permission to fly over private property, I had been in touch with the 2 nearest neighbours to let them know what I was doing so they would know why there was a drone in the area but even with that the public perception and desire to be able to enjoy nature as it is meant a couple of people over reacted to me. I hadnt done anything wrong, the flight was logged and i had full permissions and at no time was I doing anything that was of a danger to people however I got a bad reaction from members of the public.
This is something we are going to have to carefully consider and be aware of when flying. Rightly or wrongly some members of the public will object and I think as more and more use drones this will be an increasingly difficult thing to deal with.

Riche

Yeah sounded like an extreme over reaction, there will always be those people out there that will not listen to reason.
Even if I would have confronted the owner my intentions would have been clear. No need for pushing or anything. I would politely let him know that was his one get out of jail free card. He might not want to show up unannounced next time.

Stacky

Yeah their reaction was over the top but the point is that opposition to drones from the public is going to become more frequent and we need to be more proactive as a community with being careful about our impact on others enjoyment of the environment.

I fly my drone in front of my house occasionally. My neighbors all know me and dont seem to mind. I am not interested in whats in anyones backyard and would never hover over one. I would feel like my privacy was being invaded if one were over my backyard but would never shoot at it. I took photos of my house from all angles to get pictures for my website and made sure my neighbors knew that I was going to hover over their homes to get the shot and they didnt mind. It's basic common courtesy, You have to be extra careful these days because some people are just looking for a reason to be offended.

Old Man

Catch-22 big time. We know what we do and why but don't know what others do or why and since we know what can be done we are easily suspicious. Want to make that even worse? Be one that used to get paid to look into people's yards and surrounding areas to watch people to establish patterns of life and for targeting. The casual drone user isn't doing that kind of crap but for sure they have their fair share of passing curiosity, and at times a little too much.

What to do? The cake and eat it too cliche' comes to mind.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Completely and totally against it without my permission. I would never fly over someone else's property without permission. Obviously what is legal and commonplace is another thing. Just this week some guy came up to my door (and up my very private 300 yard driveway) to offer me an absolutely terrible aerial photo of my farm. I didn't ask him how he got it, though I assume it was old school and shot from a plane. I did send him on his way politely, but privately was very offended by the whole thing. Privacy and property matter, at least to some of us.

i hate to say it but i feel the same way. if i knew the person doing the flying and if it wasn't very often then i'd be ok i suppose but an unknown aircraft over my property means an unknown build by a person with unknown qualifications and my kids/dogs (not necessarily in that order!) take priority so i'd say please don't do that again.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i had been thinking more along the lines of a shotgun shell with a weighted net for the projectile. but instead of getting rich with my inventive mind i run a forum site and watch others get to these ideas first!

Chalagi

I would not care one way or the other. Would not be any different than having a military helicopter fly over your property and I"m very sure you would not be dumb enough to try and shoot it down. Besides its not "Joe Blow" that you have to worry about its "Uncle Sam"