Power Systems for Industrial Heavy-Lift

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Hey Everyone,

When we first launched the KDE7215XF-135 Brushless Motor series, my initial thought was the motor would produce more than enough thrust for heavy-lift applications. At a peak thrust of 14.5 kg/motor on 27.5" x 8.9 propellers, this seemed to be an incredible amount of power at hand.

Well, times have changed fast, and we're continually getting requests for more and more performance, especially in specialty commercial/industrial applications. To push the limits, we are proud to announce the new KDE8218XF-120 Brushless Motor series - based around a 82mm diameter stator for incredible torque-generation, the new motor pushes the boundaries of lift into a new realm. The new motor is capable of peak thrust > 18.3 kg/motor - that's over 146.4 kg thrust for a X-8 configuration at maximum throttle, pushing the KDE-CF275-TP propeller blade series. Designed to be comfortably hovering a 100lb X-8 or a 50lb X-4, the new motors are a great solution for a high-efficiency, commercial-quality craft running only four (4) motors for easy setup and less complexity. Of course, for those clients looking for a Dodeca X-12, 150lbs is now achievable in a hover!

The new motor is our flagship design, and incorporates the latest technologies we have available - (1) a 24S28P electromagnetic design optimized to our KDEXF-UAS95HVC ESCs for incredibly high efficiency and thrust response, (2) internal centrifugal fan for cool-operating temperatures, and (3) our new Patent Pending bearing arrangement specific for multi-rotor operation.

For the bearing arrangement, we have incorporated a dual-angular contact bearing and triple-radial ball bearing approach, to fully-support all axial loads and bending loads imparted by the propellers. This leads to incredibly smoothness and durability, as the bearings are naturally self-centering and proven in heavy-industrial applications (such as milling tables, automotive applications, etc.). And outline of the bearing arrangement can be seen in the Bearing Installation Specification Sheet.

Check out more details in the Technical Media section of the KDE8218XF-120 webpage.

MultiRotorForums.com has always been the best location for information on high-quality systems, not hobby-related products mass-produced and thrown into the market. We appreciate the support and please feel free to e-mail me direct as well, patrick@kdedirect.com, with any questions or inquiries on our products.

View attachment 27240

Attachments

• KDE8218XF-120_5.JPG
    KDE8218XF-120_5.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 501
  • KDE8218XF-120_1.JPG
    KDE8218XF-120_1.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 435
  • KDE8218XF-120_3.JPG
    KDE8218XF-120_3.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 288
  • KDE8218XF-120_4.JPG
    KDE8218XF-120_4.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 264
  • KDE8218XF-120_6.JPG
    KDE8218XF-120_6.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 283
  • KDE8218XF-120_7.JPG
    KDE8218XF-120_7.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 8218_275TP - LR.jpg
    8218_275TP - LR.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 628

FerdinandK

I have the KDE7215XF-135 running on a copter of mine and I have to say that I am very pleased with the performance (temperature, strength ...) just the perfect choice for heavy lifting. In all testing and flying I did so far, the motors really behaved as well as expected.

keep on bringing up great motors (and hoping for bigger, lightweight 2-bladed propellers )

best regards
Ferdinand

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
Ferdinand - wow, that's an impressive machine, that's the first of a X-16 video I've seen flying with those motors. Numerous clients have been running Dodeca X-12 systems for various heavy-lift applications, but an X-16 of this size is incredible, great job. :)

Another client sent this video a few months back, of his Hex-6 system, running on 6S and maintaining stability with a basic Naza-M V2. The regenerative-braking aspects of the ESCs allow for stability, even at low RPM and high-efficiency flights, so rather amazing to see the technology advancing into stability with these large systems:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Ferdinand, that is incredible. Nice work. What's the flight time like when it's fully loaded?

Some very impressive motors at KDE. Maybe it's time to revisit the idea of a direct drive mid-large size helicopter...

FerdinandK

Flighttime (with 20kg battery) is
30min with 20kg payload (60kg AUW)
20min with 40kg payload (80kg AUW)
should be 10min with 80 kg payload (120kg AUW) but that I have not tested so far.

best regards
Ferdinand

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Wow, so I'm going to guess you're running about 12S 80,000 mAH?

So it would take about one hour on a 20A 220V circuit to charge that.

Love the music you chose in the video by the way. :)

Old Man

What about ESC's for these motors? There has in the past been issues with power ratings and heat with KDE ESC's for their large motors.

Rob, I don't know about the flight times but I have no problem believing the 80kg lift capability.

KDE Direct

KDE Direct, LLC.
What about ESC's for these motors? There has in the past been issues with power ratings and heat with KDE ESC's for their large motors.

Rob, I don't know about the flight times but I have no problem believing the 80kg lift capability.

The latest "HVC" series ESCs resolved the heat-generation concerns with the KDE Direct XF ESCs, with a variety of added technologies such as Synchronous Rectification (regenerative-braking) and significantly improved heat-sinking (all Aluminum Case). The KDEXF-UAS95HVC is our current flagship ESC and is well-proven in the market worldwide for operation with our large, heavy-lift motors.

http://www.kdedirect.com/collections/xf-multi-rotor-electronics/products/kdexf-uas95hvc

KDEXF-UAS95HVC_LR.jpg