Question about the quad that almost fell on skier Marcel Hirscher

I am not trying to start a discussion in any way about incidents or point fingers. I was just curious if anyone knows the manufacturer of the drone carrying a TV camera that fell behind the skier Marcel Hirscher. It was on US national news tonight, and on the internet.

F

fengshuidrone

Probably a pro rig gone rogue. A perfect example of why NO ONE should fly over people. Missed the skier by only about 2 feet. I think contact would have caused great bodily harm and perhaps even death. It would have sucked to watch the first drone caused death on YouTube.

Yowsers....!!! That was a HUGE x 8. Looked like a custom build to me. It was probably this guys second build :eek::D Go ahead and click the watch this video on YouTube link ;)
The pilot of the drone that crashed behind the skier still had his retracts extended!!! Now the question becomes....which overpriced Flight Controller was it using?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p:p:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Last edited:

Old Man

I doubt anyone is gonna fess up. It will likely take outside reporting to learn any more about it. Scary moment.

I am just interested in what the failure analysis will reveal. I thought knowing the manufacturer would make it easier to trace down the results. Thanks for you answers. And a sincere happy holiday season to everyone.

FerdinandK

This was a Phantom III (covered as a DIY-PRO-rig)! Always these DJI-Phantom Flyers, getting such stuff as christmas-present, unpack, have no idea about rules or responsibility and no clue that one never fly over people! Phantom III should be banned, they destroy our hobby and our business! No wonder that regulations will be applied when a Phantom III (covered as a DIY-Pro-rig) can cause such a scary moment!

best regards
Ferdinand

Vojec

Takes from web news:

"I really felt something behind. That is absolutely outrageous. I do not want to even imagine what might have happened. Those who are responsible, I would like to press only: be careful," Marcel Hirscher was shocked from Salzburg. Disgusted was also the Race Director Markus Waldner: "By inch, we avoided disaster. Dron should fly along the Corridor route only, but is increasingly moving towards racing track."

Another report:

Fis: Incident with dronom must not be repeated

(FIS), pointed out that such incident could not be repeated. "Together with media partners we introduce the latest technology, which aims to viewers and lovers of skiing even closer to the competition and make it more attractive, but such accidents with drone must not be repeated,"

Drone owner also apologized media partner and Marcel Infront, which has announced a full investigation into the incident.

Note: apologize for translation (use RAW google translate with no additional edit)...

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
@FerdinandK no way that was a Phantom.
I've watched all the videos I've found (from 3 different angles) several times and here's what I can tell...
  • The copter was clearly falling sideways when it hit the snow
  • It was a large-ish 4-boom (probably X8) machine
  • It had retracts which appeared to be retracted, implying to me that the copter was not in landing profile
  • The speed and angle at which it hit the snow would indicate a catastrophic loss of power
  • The news reports said the copter was being operated by the broadcast crew
As others have said, I doubt somebody is going to come forward and tell all. But maybe more information will come forward.

F

fengshuidrone

This was a Phantom III (covered as a DIY-PRO-rig)! Always these DJI-Phantom Flyers, getting such stuff as christmas-present, unpack, have no idea about rules or responsibility and no clue that one never fly over people! Phantom III should be banned, they destroy our hobby and our business! No wonder that regulations will be applied when a Phantom III (covered as a DIY-Pro-rig) can cause such a scary moment!

best regards
Ferdinand
Ferdinand, I am no DJI lover and I hate what they've done to MY hobby, but.......
It was a film crew's x 8, not a phantom 3.
Operators in Europe or wherever that crap went down, read the first bullet-ed statement in the right row of bullet-ed statements. Try and do that.....OK?
droneregistration_zpsceiofsz5.jpg~original

Last edited:

Old Man

Something for all to consider in light of this event, if you plan on flying in cold weather do not expect the flight times you have in warm weather. Lipos shed capacity quickly in cold temperatures. The rate and quantity of degradation is always an unknown so don't fly if you do not have live telemetry to watch your battery state.

Thanks for your answers. I have a Phantom 2 and keep reading about these sudden crashes due to power loss. I never really have heard a definitive scientific failure analysis. It is probably because I simply have not seen one that is out there somewhere. I have filmed one event for a fund raiser simply as a hobbyist, but was careful not to be over any people. I emailed the company that actually had a statement on their web site and asked them post a failure analysis when completed, but doubt that will happen. Again happy holidays to all and fly safely.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
"Operators in Europe or wherever that crap went down, read the first bullet-ed statement in the right row of bullet-ed statements. Try and do that.....OK?"

Easy tiger. You can easily apply that to any country ie there are people who fly dangerously and there are people who plan meticulously for everything but things still go wrong in EVERY country including the good ol USA.

F

fengshuidrone

"Operators in Europe or wherever that crap went down, read the first bullet-ed statement in the right row of bullet-ed statements. Try and do that.....OK?"

Easy tiger. You can easily apply that to any country ie there are people who fly dangerously and there are people who plan meticulously for everything but things still go wrong in EVERY country including the good ol USA.

The operator clearly flew in violation of his agreement with the ski league/association that he was filming. The only reason I mentioned Europe is because I didn't know where it actually happened when I made that statement. Planning meticulously would have included not flying ANYWHERE that there is a chance of this type of thing happening. ESPECIALLY sporting events. Obviously profit was more important than safety OR common sense in this circumstance. If it was in America and that happened the operator would have his 333 revoked just for being there. What this drone crew did was give another giant black eye to what used to be a hobby. Drones should never be used to film sporting events. PERIOD.

Old Man

They could be used but a complete safety analysis and operating plan would need to be conducted and established first. Safety is something that has to be reviewed prior to an accident occurring. Accident prevention beats accident reporting by a vast margin, and this was likely preventable without eliminating flight ops.

F

fengshuidrone

Again. Direct from the FAA sUAS Certificate of Registration. Under the heading "Safety Guidlines For Flying Your Unmanned Aircraft" Quote: "Never fly over stadiums, sports events, or groups of people."
I happen to subscribe to that train of thought above all others.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I came here because I figured you guys would be hot on the trail of figuring out the details. :)

I'm trying to figure out which frame that is. It's hard to say, but looks highly customized, possible home-built from a kit. Doesn't look like it's direct from any of the big players.

I was expecting to see a white GPS, but it appears to be black. Could be a 3DR GPS puck. Or several other brands, but it's not white. If it was Arducopter, I want the logs.