US, Anyone doing the 333 exemption process on their own?

I don't think a balloon (or a powered parachute) certificate will do. It needs to be a pilots license. I flew ultralights for a while but sport pilot kinda killed them off and I sold my plane and haven't followed the industry since. I'm really hoping that when the new rules come into effect in 2016 that they will wave the full pilots license requirement and have something to a lesser degree like ground school and maybe some instructed flight time with a UAV. If its reasonable and affordable then I will go for it. There will probably be a huge scramble to get certified training facilities set up. My worry is that you will have to have a N numbered craft and you will have to find a DAR and get an air worthiness inspection which means there will have to be guidelines setup for how things are assembled and what is safe and not safe. I'm not sure you could apply GA best practices to a UAV and still have it light enough to get off the ground. Which means a whole new set of regs will have to be written and that will take another 5 years. You can get an N numbered UAV but it's an expensive process to go through. I was on another forum and there was a cop on there that went through the process and got his design N numbered and certified to be used with his departments SWAT team.

Dezy

I just found the below statement from an FAA publication:

Student Pilot Certificate Procedures
and Sport Pilot Endorsements

"(1) If glider or balloon, the applicant will complete FAA Form 8710-1 or 8710-11, as applicable."

So, I'm thinking that a Balloon might work!?

CdA D

I filled out the form myself and found with a little patience you can do it. Go to the FAA's website and look under fileing for a Exemption Sec. 333, you'll see where someone has filled out a request for an exemption. You can then using their application, substitute your information where applicable. This will save you some time and money, but it will take some time to do. Make sure you spell check and check your information to be sure it's correct.

SamaraMedia

Seems the FAA site is down - https://www.regulations.gov/

Was researching there most of the morning but now all of a sudden it's a blank page that won't refresh.

The main FAA page seems to be working but when you try to research the applications page it falters.

Filed my own last year in August. Approved last month. Haven't done a single job yet as every inquiry I've had so far has required filing for a new COA because of proximity to a towered field.
At this point I must say I feel pretty screwed as I'm sitting on two aircraft with N numbers that I can't do anything with without filing a NOTAM with FSS.
Both FSDO in NC as well as every ATC manger I've spoken to have been nothing but nice but all agree that they can't do anything without the waiver.
The UAS/COA portal, and more specifically the Eastern Service Area keep telling me they are back logged with requests and can't get mine done by the date I need it.
TV/Film just doesn't happen with 60 days notice. Not in NC anyway.
I'm not a happy camper.
But you can certainly file your own and get it approved.

SamaraMedia

I spent about two to three weeks weeding through applications searching for something that wasn't too complicated yet fulfilled all the possible uses I hope to provide if approved. There are a few simple to follow templates out there but it can be consuming as you navigate through the process. I should have started this last Fall but it's done, now comes the waiting game. Oh yeah, and complete my SPL...

EastCoastJib, thanks for your help and hopefully the FAA will figure something out for the COA process. Too bad the blanket move from a 200ft ceiling to 400ft doesn't include the area you need to work in, or more specifically, near a towered field.

Dom

I subscribed to UAVUS.org for $49 a year and provided the info to them and they submitted it for me.
It's part of the subscription service.

AzViper

I filed in November of 2015 for my 333 with regulations.gov. In January of 2016 the 333 form was put into FAA system. I am still waiting. I called a few weeks ago and was told its about a 6 month process. I should be hearing from FAA sometime next month. Here is what I filed along with all the manuals of all the UAV's I have or plan to have. My Documents contained nearly 300 pages.

Company or person name

Address

Phone number

Email address

Date:

U. S. Department of Transportation

Docket Management System

1200 New Jersey Ave.,

SE Washington, DC 20590

Petition of Company or person name for Exemption Pursuant to Section 333

of the FAA Reform Act.

Pursuant to Section 333 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (the Reform Act) and 14 C.F.R. Part 11Company or person name , operator of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (“sUASs”) equipped to conduct aerial photography and videography, News gathering, Aerial Surveying, training, hereby applies for an exemption from the listed Federal Aviation Regulations (“FARs”) to allow commercial operation of its sUASs, so long as such operations are conducted within and under the conditions outlined herein or as may be established by the FAA as required by Section 333.1.

As described more fully below, the requested exemption would permit the operation of small, unmanned and relatively inexpensive sUAS under controlled conditions in airspace that is 1) limited 2) predetermined and 3) controlled. The proposed exemption, if granted, would allow Company or person name to conduct commercial operations of small unmanned aircraft systems (“UAS”) meeting or exceeding all of the operational and safety requirements Congress has set forth in Section 333. Page 2. Company or person name asks that if any part of this request is deemed not in compliance, that part be removed and process the remaining of this request as applicable.

Company or person name is a media/technology company owned and run by Person Name. Mr. Person has explain your personal experience. Here is a sample but this section is not actually required and cannot be basis for rejection, just put something simple and mention how it can help your photo clients. He has extensive experience low level rotorcraft aviation and the unique risks and problems associated. He has nearly 8 years flying part 135 operations and 5 years as Chief Pilot of part 135 operations. His total time is nearly 4,500 hrs. Also, Mr. Person has been active in Radio Controlled Aircraft for over 30 years with experience in fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft.

Company or person name plans to exploit the capabilities of Unmanned Aerial Systems to offer a multitude of services, including:

- Aerial surveying

- Event Photography/Videography

- Agriculture purposes

- Real Estate Photography

- Aerial filmmaking and photography

- Construction site inspections and monitoring

- News Gathering

Statutory Authority Section 333, titled “Special Rules for Certain Unmanned Aircraft Systems”, provides a mechanism for seeking expedited FAA authorization of safe civil UAS operations in the NAS. Section 333(a) states that the FAA “shall determine if certain unmanned aircraft systems may operate safely in the national airspace system before completion of the (comprehensive) plan and rulemaking required by section 332(b)(1) of this Act or the guidance required by section 334 of this Act.” In Section 332(b)(1), Congress made it clear that Section 333 provides a mechanism for “expedited operation authorization” if several factors are met. Petitioner meets all requirements to permit FAA approval of commercial UAS operations.

The Petitioner Requests Relief From the Following:

Regulations from which the exemption is requested:

14 C.F.R. Part 21

14 C.F.R. 45.23 (b)

14 C.F.R. 61.113(a) and (b)

14 C.F.R. 91.7 (a)

14 C.F.R. 91.9 (b) (2)

14 C.F.R. 91.109

14 C.F.R. 91.119

14 C.F.R. 91.121Page 3

14 C.F.R. 91.151(a)

14 C.F.R. 91.203 (a) & (b)

14 C.F.R. 91.205 (b)

14 C.F.R. 91.215

14 C.F.R. (91.401 - 91.417)

Unmanned Aircraft System sUASs are oftentimes seen as superior to helicopters due to the smaller devices cheaper equipment and personnel cost, reduced noise and as such, a much smaller environmental impact which promotes public safety.

We are petitioning for exemption to enable Company or person name to operate the DJI Inspire 1, DJI S900, DJI Phantom 2, DJI Phantom 3, 3DR Solo equipped with a three-axis camera gimbal and using a High-Def camera. This sUAS has the failsafe function of the autopilot system which means when the communication between the Main Controller and the transmitter is disconnected, the outputs of all command sticks from controller will go to the center position. If the GPS signal is good enough, the system will automatically trigger Return to Home and will land safely.

Aircraft Gross weights are less than 164 oz. with battery and the 3 Axis Camera Gimbal and Camera

A Pre-flight inspection will be performed by the PIC in accordance with the factory instruction manual. An added step will be the inspection of the propellers. A propeller will be replaced if it has any nicks and cracks with a manufacturers authorized propeller.

The sUAS will be maintained in accordance with the manufacturers instruction manual and only manufacturer's authorized replacement parts will be used.

FCC Information

This transmitters used for controlling the sUAS complies with part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:

(1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference

received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

The radio transmitters used for controlling the sUAS is wireless technology which has been tested and found to be compliant with the applicable regulations governing a radio transmitter in the 2.400GHz to 2.4835GHz frequency range.

Antenna Separation Distance

When operating our transmitters, the PIC will maintain a separation distance of at least

5 cm between his body (excluding fingers, hands, wrists, ankles and feet) and the antenna to meet RF exposure safety requirements as determined by FCC regulations.

Pilot in Command and Observer Qualifications and Duties

The PIC will maintain at least a Sport Pilot Certificate and a current Class III medical certificate or drivers license, plus at least 1 hours flying time and 3 takeoffs and landings within the previous 90 days in the type of UAS utilized in operations. A Pilots license is always required for current commercial drone operators, There is currently no way around this.

The PIC will have at least 20 hours total time and at least 10 hours flying Radio Controlled Model Aircraft of which will be 5 hours flying sUAS's.

Training will be conducted at a local Controlled Access flying field. Company or person name has the ability to safely train new sUAS Pilots. The PIC instructor will be at all times be able assume control of the sUAS.

The PIC is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the aircraft. Specific duties include all preflight preparation, in flight operation, post flight requirements, all procedures including but not limited to:

Safe in flight operations

Risk Mitigation to Persons and property

Airfield Suitability

The Observer must have the visual acuity to observe the sUAV and be able to communicate clearly with the PIC.

The Observers duties are;

warning the PIC of any impending obstacles in the flight path of the sUAS.

warning the PIC of any deviations in the planned flight path of the sUAS.

warning the PIC should any unauthorized personnel appear in the area of the planned flight.

The Observer will have the authority to order the PIC to terminate the flight should he feel the flight cannot be conducted safely.

General Operating Standards

Company or person name will only operate its sUAS in line of sight of a pilot and/or observer and will operate at sites that are a 'sufficient distance' from hazzard areas. Such operations will insure that the sUAS will "not create a hazard to users of the national airspace system or the public."

• Before an operation of a sUAV within 5NM of an airport with a control tower, the control tower will be called to gain permission to operate the sUAS. The PIC will give the position, altitude and the times the sUAS will be operated. The sUAS will not be operated at an altitude of over 400 feet AGL. Weather minimums will be 3 miles visibility and a 1000 foot ceiling.

Before an operation of a sUAS within 5NM of a non-tower controlled, airport operators will be notified and the PIC will give the right of way to avoid flying in the proximity of full-scale aircraft. At no time will the sUAS be operated within the final approach course and the takeoff course of any runway. The sUAS will not be operated at an altitude of over 400 feet AGL. Weather minimums will be 3 miles visibility and a 1000 foot ceiling.

• Maximum flight time for each operational flight will be 30 minutes.

• Flights will be terminated at 25% battery power reserve should that occur prior to the 30 minute limit.

• The sUAV will be programmed so that it will be operated at an altitude of no more than 400 feet AGL.

• Minimum crew for each operation will consist of the sUAS Pilot, and Visual Observer.

• The sUAV operated by the petitioner weighs less than 55 pounds, including the

payload (i.e. camera, lens, and gimbals).

• The sUAV will operate at speeds of no more than 40 knots, can hover, and can simultaneously move vertically and horizontally.

• Given the small size of the sUAV and the restricted sterile environment within which they will operate, our sUAV operations adhere to the Reform Act's safety requirements.

The UAS, powered by batteries, is smaller, lighter and more maneuverable than larger aircraft running on combustible fuel, it operates at lower altitudes with no people on board and will thereby reduce current risk levels and thereby enhance safety and diminish the likelihood of death or serious bodily injury. With a small payload and maximum flight time of only 20 minutes, this is offers little or no risk to national security.

Low level oblique photos and video from several angles are far more effective than ground based imagery for displaying the characteristics of large, complex properties with several buildings and large trees. The applicants in the past have chartered 2-seat full-sized helicopters for this purpose, which has proven more costly than many potential clients have been able to afford. The benefits of reduced cost and improved quality of presentation from the UA will be valuable to and benefit many buyers and sellers of real property as well as mitigating risk by not carrying personnel for flight operations.

(a) No flight will be made with a Gross weight exceeding 55 pounds;

(b) All operations must occur in FAA allowed Class of airspace at no more than 400 ft AGL, at an airspeed of no more than 40 knots and no further than Visual line of sight from the PIC;

(c) All operations must utilize a visual observer (VO). The VO and PIC must be able to communicate by voice at all times during a flight operation;

(d) All required permits will be obtained from state and local government prior to operation;

EXEMPTION REQUESTS AND EQUIVALENT LEVEL OF SAFETY

Company or person name requests an exemption from the following regulations as well as any additional regulations that may technically apply to the operation of the sUAs System:

14 CFR Part 21, Airworthiness Certificates

This part establishes the procedures for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate. While the

FAA continues to work to develop airworthiness standards for Unmanned Aerial Systems, we

request an experimental certificate be issued for the DJI Inspire, DJI S900, DJI Phantom 2, DJI Phantom 3, 3DR Solo under either or

both of the following provisions:

21.191 Experimental certificates. Experimental certificates are issued for the following purposes:

(a) Research and development. Testing new aircraft design concepts, new aircraft equipment,

new aircraft installations, new aircraft operating techniques, or new uses for aircraft.

(b) Showing compliance with regulations. Conducting flight tests and other operations to

show compliance with the airworthiness regulations including flights to show compliance for

issuance of type and supplemental type certificates, flights to substantiate major design

changes, and flights to show compliance with the function and reliability requirements of the

regulations. Since the experimental certificate can be used for commercial purposes such as

market surveys, sales demonstrations, and customer crew training, we would expect that an

experimental certificate would permit our commercial purpose as well. The aircraft will not carry

persons or property, will not carry fuel, and will only fly under strict operational requirements.

Combined with the UA's light weight, being constructed primarily of carbon fiber and plastic, we

propose that the UA will be at least as safe, if not safer, than a conventionally certificated

aircraft performing the same mission. If an experimental airworthiness certificate is not

appropriate for this application, then we request an exemption of 14 CFR Part 21, Subpart H,

and the requirement for an airworthiness certificate in general, citing the equivalent level of

safety outlined in the previous paragraph.

14 CFR 45.23 Display of marks; general and 45.29 Size of marks.

These regulations provide that each aircraft must display "N" and the aircraft's registration number in letters at least 3 inches high. Additionally, the aircraft must display the word "EXPERIMENTAL" in letters at least 2 inches high near the entrance to the cabin, cockpit, or pilot station. The sUAV does not have an entrance in which the word "EXPERIMENTAL" can be placed, and may not have a registration number assigned to it by the FAA. We propose to achieve an equivalent level of safety by including the word "EXPERIMENTAL" in the placard on the top of the aircraft, as shown above, where the PIC (Pilot In Control), VO (Visual Observer) and others in the vicinity of the aircraft while it is preparing for launch will be able to see the designation. Additionally, we feel that the permanent placard discussed in the previous paragraph will provide the aircraft's registration information at the ground station. Finally, we will display at the ground station a high contrast flag, sign or banner that contains the words "Unmanned Aircraft in Use" in letters 3 inches high or greater. Since the aircraft will operate within Line of Sight of the ground station, the banner should be visible to anyone that observes the aircraft and chooses to investigate its point of origin.

14 CFR 61.113 Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in Command and 61.133

Commercial pilot privileges and limitations.

The regulation provides that no person that holds a Private Pilot certificate may act as pilot in

Command of an aircraft for compensation or hire. Subparagraph (b) allows a private pilot to act

as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if: (1) The

flight is only incidental to that business or employment; and (2) The aircraft does not carry

passengers or property for compensation or hire. Our proposed operations require that the PIC

must hold at least a Sport Pilot Certificate with a Drivers License and since the aircraft cannot carry passengers or property, we feel we meet the intent of 61.113 Subparagraph (b) even though the intent of this application is to conduct a business.

14 CFR 91.7 Prohibits the Operation of an aircraft without an airworthiness certificate. As

no such certificate will be applicable in the form contemplated by the FARs, this Regulation is

inapplicable.

14 CFR 91.9 Civil aircraft flight manual, marking, and placard requirements.

This regulation provides that no person may operate an aircraft unless a current, approved flight manual is in the aircraft. We assume that the intent of this requirement is to ensure that flight manual information is available to the aircrew while operating the aircraft. We request an exemption to this requirement since the aircraft is not only too small to carry documentation, the

documentation would not be available to the crew during flight operations. To obtain an

equivalent level of safety and meet the intent of 91.9, we propose that a current, approved sUAS Flight Manual must be available to the crew at the ground station anytime the aircraft is in, or preparing for, flight.

14 CFR 91.109 Flight Instruction; Simulated instrument flight and certain flight tests

The regulation states that "No person may operate a civil aircraft that is being used for flight

instruction unless that aircraft has fully functioning dual controls." Training will be conducted at a local Limited Access flying field. Company or person name has the ability to provide " Safe Dual Training". The PIC instructor will be at all times be able assume control of the sUAV.

91.119 Minimum safe altitudes:

General. The regulation states that over sparsely populated areas the aircraft cannot be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure. Since the typical mission of the sUAS would be photography or survey of persons, vessels, vehicles or structures it would be necessary to operate closer than 500 feet to the items listed. Operations will only be flown over property or persons where permission has been obtained and careful pre-planned flight path has been performed. The aircraft will be operated at a low altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface. Therefore we maintain that due to the small size of the UAS, the hazard to persons, vehicles and structures is minimal compared to manned aircraft, which should be considered in granting the exemption.

CFR 91.121 Altimeter settings.

The regulation requires that aircraft shall maintain cruising altitudes by reference to an altimeter setting available within 100 NM of the aircraft. The sUAS will always fly below 400 feet AGL and will not need to maintain cruising altitudes in order to prevent conflict with other aircraft. An Above Ground Level altimeter measurement above the takeoff point is transmitted via radio from the sUAS on-board computer to the display screen held by the PIC, providing a constantly updated AGL readout.

14 CFR 91.151 Fuel requirements for flight in VFR conditions.

The regulation provides that no person may begin a flight in an airplane under day-vFR

conditions unless there is enough fuel to fly to the first point of intended landing and to fly after

that for at least 30 minutes. We feel the intention of this paragraph is to provide an energy

reserve as a safety buffer for delays to landing. The sUAS is battery operated and the maximum

duration of flight from a single battery charge is 20 minutes with a 25% reserve. Since the

aircraft will never fly more than line of sight from the point of intended landing, a full battery charge at launch will ensure that we meet the reserve energy requirement of this paragraph. We

request an exemption to the word "fuel" and ask for an equivalent interpretation with the word

"energy".

14 CFR 91.203(a) & (b) Civil aircraft: Certifications required.

The regulation provides that an airworthiness certificate, with the registration number assigned

to the aircraft and a registration certificate must be aboard the aircraft. Additionally,

subparagraph (b) provides that the airworthiness certificate be "displayed at the cabin or cockpit

entrance so that it is legible to passengers or crew." At a maximum gross weight of 6.1 pounds,

the sUAS is too small to carry documentation, does not have an entrance, and is not capable of

carrying passengers or crew. To obtain an equivalent level of safety and meet the intent of

91.203, we propose that documents deemed appropriate for this aircraft by the FAA will be with the crew at the ground control station and available for inspection upon request. In order to identify the aircraft, we propose that the information found on airworthiness and registration certificates be permanently affixed to the aircraft via placard containing the following

information plus the word "EXPERIMENTAL" to satisfy the requirement of 14 CFR 45.23.

14 CFR 91.205(a), (b), (c) Instrument and Equipment Requirements

This regulation provides a minimum set of instruments and equipment required for day and night VFR flight. Due to the small size of the sUAS it would be impossible to carry many of these instruments. 91.205 (b) 4,5,6,7,8,13,14,16,17 are not applicable as the sUAS has no Reciprocating engines or seats. 91.205 (b) 2,3,9 are provided on the hand held controller. 91.205(b) 1 is not applicable as the maximum available speed of the sUAS is less than the maximum required by this exemption and has no effect on performance. 91.205 (b) 10 is not applicable as the landing gear position can be verified visually before landing. 91.205 (b) 15 Due to the size it would be impossible for the sUAS to carry any known ELT. 91.205 (c) Much of this equipment is too heavy to be carried by the sUAS. We feel that visual contact with the sUAS and indications provided via the controller that all critical information can be monitored.

14 CFR Subpart E (91.401- 91.417)- Maintenance, Preventive Maintenance, Alterations

The regulation provides that the operator is primarily responsible for maintaining the aircraft in an airworthy condition, including compliance with part 39 and 43. Paragraphs 91.407 and 91.409 require that the aircraft be "approved for return to service by a person authorized under 43.7" after maintenance and inspection. It is our intention that the PIC perform maintenance and

inspection of the aircraft and "be authorized to approve the aircraft for return to service." The

PIC will ensure that the aircraft is in an airworthy condition prior to every flight and in addition

conduct detailed inspections after every two hours of flight. Maintenance performed by the PIC

is limited to repairing small cracks, replacing a propeller, checking electrical connections and

updating software and firmware for the on-board computer. All other maintenance will be

performed by the manufacturer or their designated repair facility. We feel that due to the size, construction, and simplicity of the aircraft, the PIC can ensure an equivalent level of safety.

Safety and Benefits of the UAS

Company or person name will be using the UAS in a variety of applications that generally require expensive full-size manned aircraft to complete. Small, light, unmanned aerial vehicles offer myriad benefits over the use of full-sized manned aircraft for electric power line inspection,

oil/gas pipeline inspection, advanced agriculture, film and still photography, just to name a few.

Replacing significantly larger manned aircraft carrying crew and flammable fuel with small UAS

carrying no passengers or crew creates a much greater margin of safety for the pilots and crew.

By granting Company or person name ‘s requested exemptions, the FAA will help drive

development of safe and successful commercial UAS operations and will advance the public

knowledge base for such operations. Company or person name is committed to promoting the UAS research efforts of policymakers including the FAA, NASA, DOD and DARPA by sharing data from its commercial UAS operations and serving as a resource for future UAS research operations. Thus, the FAA has good cause to grant this Petition.

Conclusion

As pointed out in this application, all the SUAs which our company would use, under

authorization by the US DOT-FAA, are small, light-weight devices operated within the line of

sight of the Pilot-in-Command (PIC), less than 400 feet above the ground and outside 5 miles

from any airport, heliport, seaplane base, spaceport, or other location with aviation activities,

unless the air traffic control authorities (ATC) have been notified and have authorized each flight

within a radius of this distance.

All our SUAs have proven capability for controlled flight. They are devices offered for general

sale on the market around the world and have often been used as Model Aircraft in the USA.

We are certain that the studies conducted until now by the FAA, about Section 332, Public Law

112-95, 2014, have already provided you with the assurances on the airworthiness of SUAs

such as ours.

For the foregoing reasons, the exemptions requested herein should be granted Company or person name should be permitted to conduct small UAS operations in accordance with its

manuals and all other operating parameters deemed necessary and appropriate by the FAA.

The submission of this application and its contents is the best demonstration that indeed it is

possible to pursue the authorization process so that some SUAs may be used for legitimate

commercial activities and under reasonably safe conditions. If any individual aspect of this request for exemption be unacceptable we ask that it be struck alone and the remainder of the exemption be allowed as requested.

Signed

Person Name

Company name if applicable

Last edited: