Useing a smart phone as a camera

Magealexstra

Hi,

Lately, I've been wondering if useing an old android phone as a camera would be a viable option. I thought it might be good to ask for some feedback and explain what I'm looking to do. The quadcopter I'm planing on useing is a syma x8w. The phone is a Motorola atrix hd. I havn't really looked at optional roms yet. Though it is compatible with cyanogenmod. Right now I just want to get it set up as a camera (shouldn't be difficult) but later I would like to see if I can use other features of the phone. Such as steaming to another device. Like Skype but without needing data.
If anyone knows of someone already useing phones as cameras or the like, I would appreciate the introduction.
Also of course any tips, tricks, or ideas are more than welcome.

Tia

fmkit

one day I got idea to use 110g SHARP SH12C 3d phone gimbaled on my quad, it worked OK but after few days of use I got tired of low.res (not full HD), low dynamic range videos and rebuilt the gimbal to fit real 3D cam Panasonic 3D1

close-up in the end:

Magealexstra

Very nice. Did you set up the phone to forward video or is it only recording to the device?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

fmkit

the phone's HDMI out only good for playback or framing stills, I wish it was active during movie recording then using HDMI to AV I could FPV. that was my only attempt. There are many used cameras on ebay in $60-100 range that do way-way better compared to smartphones.

Magealexstra

My intention is to utilize what I have and spend little to no money. If I had the resources I'd just buy a phantom 3 pro or inspire 1 lol

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk