Aerial MOB picked as Panavision's Preferred Aerial Company

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Some of you that are new to MultiRotorForums.com might not know the name @kloner but he was here quite often before the company he co-founded, Aerial MOB, became very successful. Aerial MOB was one of the first six aerial companies to receive operating authority from the FAA early last year.

A big congratulations to Aerial MOB and multirotorforums.com member Steve Blizzard for their continued success!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/panavision-drone-company-aerial-mob-820596

September 04, 2015 2:03pm PT by Carolyn Giardina

Panavision, Drone Company Aerial MOB Form Alliance
the_hollywood_sign_h_2015.jpg

Courtesy of RexUSA

Panavision will recommend Aerial MOB as their preferred drone company in the U.S.
Aerial MOB — a provider of drone services for feature and TV production — has reached an agreement with Panavision through which the camera and lens systems supplier will recommend Aerial MOB as its preferred drone company in the United States.

The recommendation from lens and camera systems giant Panavision could help boost business for Aerial MOB, which has recently provided drones services on series including Supergirl, Criminal Minds Beyond Borders, The Leftovers and The Voice. (Panavision customers are not required to work with Aerial MOB.)

“Their focus on providing advanced aerial technology, with an emphasis on safety and performance, forms a natural alliance of our two companies," said Bob Harvey, Panavision's executive vp, global sales and marketing.

A year ago this month, the Federal Aviation Administration approved operator exemptions for six aerial production companies to use small, unmanned aircrafts systems (UAS), or drones, for filming motion pictures and television programming in U.S. airspace. Aerial MOB was among those six companies, and additional exemptions have been granted since them.

This was big news when it occurred, as a growing camp in Hollywood has asserted that mounting cameras on drones offers new creative options, cost savings and, perhaps, safer sets. But regulatory issues had been a hurdle; in order to conduct a commercial operation with an unmanned aircraft in U.S. airspace, users had needed a certified aircraft, licensed pilot and FAA approval. The FAA is currently working to loosen these regulatory restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Str8 Up

Not trying to be a wet blanket in the midst of all the high fives, but at the end of the day does this amount to anything of substance?

Panavision at this time isn't a player in drone cinema aside from being a rental house. It all sounds a bit like a lot of smoke over a really small fire to me. What am I missing?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Panavision is the largest (and some would say only) camera rental company in LA. No major studios own their own cameras - so the first call is to the rental house.

So when calls come in (and they're sure to come in) for aerial footage to the largest company - and they have officially decided to hand out your card for all those calls....yep, sorta a big deal :)

Str8 Up

I would agree if not for the fact that quality work at the lowest price rules this industry the same as all others. Outside of LA, Panavision means very little for example.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I know that in NYC, Panavision is a close second to a local rental house in NJ, so they have a sizable grip on LA and NYC, the largest U.S. production markets.

My girlfriend does accounts payable accounting for TV here in NYC (and for years did location features based in LA), and while it goes against common sense, I would suggest that in the film/TV production, the lowest price does not rule this industry like most others. The amount of money spent on these productions is staggering, even on "low budget" numbers. And often there is very little "shopping" for best prices.

Of course this situation is no guarantee that Aerial Mob will get each and every job, but it's a nice, healthy addition to its marketing.

I think of it like this: if the single largest auto manufacturer always recommended a particular tire, despite there being other tires out there, it doesn't hurt to be that recommended tire company.

If the industry leader is recommending your company, there could certainly be worse scenarios. You're certainly not going to be worse off because of this partnership.

Str8 Up

Having worked in aerial cinema for the last 11 years I laughed out loud when I read your comment about very little shopping" in TV/film production.

Here is just one of hundreds of examples. Not keyboard speculation but real life in the film world. We were approached by Roger Deakins to supply drone aerials for the film "Prisoners". The reason? He did not have the budget for the undisputed leader in the industry - Flying Cam. How could this be? This is Roger Deakins for heaven's sake!

Big budget features do have money, all the rest, particularly TV do not and shop for price constantly.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Not keyboard speculation but real life in the film world

I am always happy to hear when the members here on MRF are doing well in this industry, and I am glad you got the gig because Deakins was shopping around. I did not mean to suggest that all productions have the luxury of seemingly unlimited budgets. But the productions I was referring to (and I never insisted they were the ONLY type of productions happening), operate a little differently than the example you mention here. I can tell you, without reservation, that the current TV show she's working on ($6M/episode) is not being thrifty about all purchases/expenditures. :)

My 'keyboard speculation' you refer to comes from a direct line: my girlfriend reading an invoice, her fingers tapping the keyboard, to the check to vendors rolling off the printer (for props, locations, wardrobe and yes, Panavision). 13 years in accounts payable, for all major studios (except CBS and Showtime), has given her an insight that I am sure you can appreciate. If for no other reason than if you have made money in this industry working for large studios, she or one of her colleges likely issued your check. Accounts payable sorta gets where and how the money flows, and I do not question her honestly and knowledge about such things. But of course you have every right to.

One thing I would suggest (to bring this back on topic), is that if your company is ever offered the opportunity to be highlighted and marketed by a company as prominent in the industry as Panavision, you should probably not scoff at the chance. While you may not now be able to appreciate the value, there is certainly no way it would hurt your profile, and likely not hurt your bottom line profits either.

So once again, I say kudos Kloner. Your hard work has paid off.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
About 17 years ago I had a production company ask me to make a special RC powered paraglider to fly a panaflex. I went right on down to the local paragliding school and started playing with trainer wings. Ultimately i gave up on buying parts to make this work for a larger scale version of the units I was already selling. Instead I took up kitesurfing :) Part of it was i just honestly didnt have the stomach to have a $250k camera flying in my platform. The fact that Steve has the cojones to do this is impressive. It's easy to think any of us would jump on this opportunity but it takes a certain combination of person to make these ventures come to fruition and Steve is that guy.

Congrats Mr. Blizzard!

Last edited by a moderator: