FREEFLY Systems Alta #1 picked up by MRF own Steve Maller

Dylan M

Which Switch...
Nice pictures of that frame, looks very basic though, and interesting esc placement especially for U8 type motors... Hmmm, U8 170kv 6s x12 is max thrust of about 125lbs...

I'm a fan of the x12...

Last edited by a moderator:

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Freefly have said they're "working on" an ALTA XL. That machine they had at NAB was clearly a prototype. I saw it. I'm sure one of the things they're looking at is the market feasibility of building such a large, high-end machine. After all, how many could they sell? A hundred? And if so, how much would they be able to charge for it?

When I was at Freefly to pick up my ALTA, they showed me the evolution of the ALTA from its early prototypes, and the XL looks like the ALTA did early in its life. I don't think its imminent. But who knows...I have no inside info.

jdennings

Is that ALTA XL big enough to swing 28" props? To swing those an X12 frame would have to be in the 1800 or 6' foot range, (assuming a 12" or so centerplate and a few inches clearance between props) , didn't quite look like it from the pic in that thread, but hard to tell. With props extended we' be talking 8'-9' span. Getting up there (no pun intended), I fly an X8 with close to a 7' span (28" props) , and it does feel, err ... fairly beastly ...

Big fan of X12's too, but I keep asking myself what their advantage would be compared to an X8 if it is swinging smaller props, as you won't get the sort of efficiency U8s are known for.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Freefly are keen on designing their own motors and ESCs, so I doubt the mythical ALTA XL would be relying on any off-the-shelf components like a U8 or the like. And judging from the size of the MōVI XL under there, I'd say this is one big honkin' machine. No idea what size props those are, but they've got really smart people up there, so I'm sure they're the right size. ;)

jdennings

Yeah, although past performance is never a guarantee for the future, Freefly sure has delivered so far and shown what they can do. Maybe custom motors and 20-24" props for an X12, that would be a good sweet spot power and size wise. Can't wait to see what they come up with ...

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
You been flying a lot, @stevemaller ? Any new insights/opinions? Looking pretty hard at owning one, but there aren't many reviews yet...
Day job (ground-based photo and video) has been consuming me lately. Not as much time to fly as I 'd like, but bills are getting paid. Nutshell review is it's all that it's cracked up to be. Super happy with it. It's a very professional tool. Doesn't fly itself, though...the better your flying skills, the better it will perform. Don't buy it if you think it'll make you a better pilot. Quite the opposite. You better be good if you want your money's worth.