What did you do with your Iris+ today??

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
My wife and daughter were outside watching the sunset last night and asked me to bring a camera. Far be it for me though to just bring a camera so I grabbed the Iris+ and went outside.

The shots aren't ideal but it was nice to have a grab and go quad at the ready......looking at the photos, I'm thinking I need to disconnect the lights under the front arms so I won't have bright light flooding the area in front of the camera

View attachment 25157 View attachment 25158

Attachments

• G0024267.JPG
    G0024267.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 444
  • G0024257.JPG
    G0024257.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 532

cootertwo

"Red sky by night, sailors delight!" Nice pics! I'm still tinkering with my Iris+ machines. Going to mount a GPS on a mast, as I'm in an area with lots of trees and vegetation. I would like to be sure I have a good GPS signal, before I dare to do any "auto" flights. And I'm still learning, (trying to), all the tweaks available with the Pixhawk system. I hope 3DR gets all their eggs in the same basket, as there seems to be some confusion, at present. New product release, and a move across the world at the same time ???

Bartman

That's the view from the new pad? If so.. NICE!!

GoPro 3 Black.....i have no idea what it was set to, i don't think i've ever actually used it for photos

Going to mount a GPS on a mast, as I'm in an area with lots of trees and vegetation. I would like to be sure I have a good GPS signal, before I dare to do any "auto" flights

I can understand why you'd want to try that but it doesn't seem like it should be necessary as GPS interference or weakness isn't frequently reported, right?

cootertwo

Well, sometimes, when I fire my Iris+ up, in my front yard, it can take 2 to 4 minutes to get a lock, and then usually only 5 or 6 satellites. If I walk out into the street, (no trees), I can get 8 to 10 satellites. Sometimes while buzzing around in my yard, I can get a red/blue flash on the LED, and logs will show a loss of GPS lock. No big deal, but with all the tree cover in my area, the GPS needs all the help it can get.

SamaraMedia

Found this interesting from 3DR’s CEO Chris Anderson sat down today with CBS This Morning to discuss Solo, aerial moviemaking and the future of drones. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/smart-drone-promises-to-change-aerial-photography/

He pointed out that in this golden age of personal storytelling, Solo’s technology makes it easy for anyone to tell their own epic stories from the air. “The real transformation is that it used to require skill to do this, and now it doesn’t—you push a button, you get the shot.”

Thanks dude! Now I'm really just another talentless drone operator...

But the best quote of the interview is him calling certain people in this hobby/business - mass jackassery!

Classic!

cootertwo

dazzab

He pointed out that in this golden age of personal storytelling, Solo’s technology makes it easy for anyone to tell their own epic stories from the air. “The real transformation is that it used to require skill to do this, and now it doesn’t—you push a button, you get the shot.”
Have you seen the video of the 3DR sales person flying a Solo in a crowded parking lot and flying it in to a truck because it was facing in and she flew it in the wrong direction? As it bounced off the truck it also hit a person. So much for "it used to require skill".

SamaraMedia

Thanks dazzab! Found it -

"Wind took it" ;}

"Selfie" worked good, from that distance you should be able to pick yourself out of a crowded parking lot.

At least the rep is easier t look at than Collin...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

only a minor problem in the big scheme of things....

i've crashed in front of a crowd, it sucks but i wasn't flashing a great butt to take the attention off my wreck :(

Kilby

Hey Bart, I've got an Iris+ coming tomorrow. We will be using it for some mapping missions along with another Pixhawk hexa I built. I'll post some of our results up here when we get it up and flying!

Bartman

Hey Bart, I've got an Iris+ coming tomorrow. We will be using it for some mapping missions along with another Pixhawk hexa I built. I'll post some of our results up here when we get it up and flying!

sounds good Terry! I think you'll like it. I've found it to be an honest to goodness RTF quad capable of reliably toting a GoPro around. don't plan on bumping up the payload much as it doesn't have a lot of excess power but the batteries will last a good long time, the flying qualities allow for great video results, and you can use standard LiPo's all day long.

I've got a few projects to get to but I'll be coming back to the Iris+ when I have time and plan on continuing to use it as is throughout the summer including a week at boy scout camp at the end of the month if they'll allow it.

Kilby

I'm going to use a Canon S100 hard mounted to bottom for mapping. This is very similar in weight to a GoPro with a gimbal, so I think it will be ok. Beyond that, I'm not messing with it. I like the idea of it working out of the box and I want to keep it that way. ;-)