New(ish) Commercial Startup - Any Advice?

Johnb80

Very quick background, Private Pilots License, BMFA Area Chief Examiner, Flown Helis and Fixed Wing (Mainly fixed wing), Work offshore as an ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) Pilot.

So im wanting to have a go at commercial aerial photography / surveys. I hope my background and skillset will stand me in good stead for this, time will tell. I have been looking at the various platforms on the market and I like the look of the Align multicopters. My current plan is as follows:-

Align M470 + GoPro Hero 3 or 4
Align M690 + Canon 5D MKII or MKIII
Spektrun DX18 Tx

Im undecided whether to go with goggles or screen for framing / fpv flying etc.

I will of course be doing the relevant training (BNUCC-S?) and tests and have been attempting to contact EuroUSC but so far they haven't replied which is somewhat disappointing.

So ladies and gents, any comments on the above proposed equipment and indeed any advice would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards - John

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
John, with your background you can qualify more cheaply by using a 'restricted nqe'. This way takes into account your aviation experience. Give Elliot Cork a ring at Hexcam and he will sort you out- oh and say Angus sent you his way. He's a top man and great instructor by all accounts.

On another pointer dont get confused with your clear love of flying and getting into multirotors for the flying side of it. Remember the drone is merely a tool to deliver data. If it's aerial photography you are into then first and foremost you need to be a photographer or have a photographer on the team. Same for survey, you really need someone on the team who is an expert in that field otherwise you are going to find it hellish tough to break in to the market.

Johnb80

Hi Angus,
Thanks for your reply.

I will get in touch with Elliot and see what he recommends, thank you.

On the subject of photography, I did a Diploma in Photography at the Grimsby Institute about 10 years ago, mainly to learn Photoshop. I have had a life long interest in photography, that interest has concentrated in bringing still pictures to life by adding them to presentations with music and various effects. I already have a end full of things I want to do yet alone for anyone else LOL. My subsea work also involves a lot of photography of not so interesting subjects but it's still important to get the right 'money shot' give the client want they want and more. I'm hopeful I can improve my skills in this field.

Does the equipment look ok? I figured use the smaller one as a day to day unit, the hex for more demanding work?

Thanks again for your advice

Pumpkinguy

You can't beat the p3 for value. I'd take that over the m470 with a gopro and I'm wondering if the m670 is enough rig to safely carry a big dslr like the 5d.
Even the dji s900.is not recommended to carry the 5d.
670 is a pretty small.wingspan for that camera.

Johnb80

You can't beat the p3 for value. I'd take that over the m470 with a gopro and I'm wondering if the m670 is enough rig to safely carry a big dslr like the 5d.
Even the dji s900.is not recommended to carry the 5d.
670 is a pretty small.wingspan for that camera.
Hi it's 690 not 670.

Thanks for the other info, I'll have a look.

Regards - John

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
John, when choosing the airframe my advice would be to go through the following process:

Decide what data your customer is likely to require and at what quality. Once answered decide what sensor can achieve this (ie will a Gopro deliver this or will I need a 1DC or something in between). Next look at what stabiliser you require. You have now defined your payload. From this you can start to look at the airframe you require for the payload and any other such requirements such as safety/redundancy, flight times etc.

Johnb80

John, when choosing the airframe my advice would be to go through the following process:

Decide what data your customer is likely to require and at what quality. Once answered decide what sensor can achieve this (ie will a Gopro deliver this or will I need a 1DC or something in between). Next look at what stabiliser you require. You have now defined your payload. From this you can start to look at the airframe you require for the payload and any other such requirements such as safety/redundancy, flight times etc.
Hi,
I suppose in some way that's what I've done. I figured that good HD movies and stills would be handled by the Canon 5D at 22 Megapixels, full frame sensor. This can be carried by the Align 690 with the 5D gimbal that they do.
I then looked for something that would be more of a daily runabout sort of thing, the GoPro seemed to be the camera of choice, there are of course a lot of platforms that can carry it including the Align. I sort of chose the Align again for consistency, same controller, same facilities, some spares commonality. Earlier the Phantom 3 was recommended but in all honesty, I don't like the toy feel to the Tx's, the Align would use my DX18.
If I'm wrong in my thinking please, anybody tell me, I appreciate all of the comments so far.

Regards - John

fltundra

Hi Angus,
Thanks for your reply.

I will get in touch with Elliot and see what he recommends, thank you.

On the subject of photography, I did a Diploma in Photography at the Grimsby Institute about 10 years ago, mainly to learn Photoshop. I have had a life long interest in photography, that interest has concentrated in bringing still pictures to life by adding them to presentations with music and various effects. I already have a end full of things I want to do yet alone for anyone else LOL. My subsea work also involves a lot of photography of not so interesting subjects but it's still important to get the right 'money shot' give the client want they want and more. I'm hopeful I can improve my skills in this field.

Does the equipment look ok? I figured use the smaller one as a day to day unit, the hex for more demanding work?

Thanks again for your advice
I think in the long run you will be disappointed with either Align. Take a look at Hexacrafter and save yourself hours and hours of frustration.
Talk to Andrew and look into an X8. You will most likely end up with one in the future anyway. It will give you the redundancy and be able to handle high winds and remain stable.

Pumpkinguy

I think in the long run you will be disappointed with either Align. Take a look at Hexacrafter and save yourself hours and hours of frustration.
Talk to Andrew and look into an X8. You will most likely end up with one in the future anyway. It will give you the redundancy and be able to handle high winds and remain stable.

I have no compelling evidence but people say the x8 bucks wind better than a flat 8. I have also read a few forum posts where others swear the opposite. That the flat 8 had better flight characteristics. That being said, I am a huge fan of hexacrafter. They are professional grade in every sense of the word and the after sales service is second to none. For a canon 5d, the hexacrafter hex frame will be all you ever need.

hexhome

Television Broadcast Engineer, SUSA operator
Angus offers excellent advice. First know your market. Only then can you decide on a platform. Also, if you have a Heli A or B cert, you only need to submit an Ops Manual, though this is best achieved with some training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnb80

Thank you, I'll go and have a look.

Regards john

Buzz_Roavr

Hiya, Angus's advice is very sound. It all starts with the customer. Who are they and what are they likely to want? The new Sony A7r is hard to beat as a survey camera at 34mp, or the Sony A6000 at 24mp (which we use). Don't limit yourself to a platform / gimbal that can only carry one camera system. Flexibility is the key to success in this industry.

Take a look at the ARPAS website as there is some good info on there re: NQE's. You have a very large choice now. Working offshore are you ever in the Highlands? We are based there and always available for a chat.

Johnb80

Hi,
Hexane after have been fantastic with their very prompt replies and advice, I'm now trying to filter through the mountain of information I have.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

John

Johnb80

Hiya, Angus's advice is very sound. It all starts with the customer. Who are they and what are they likely to want? The new Sony A7r is hard to beat as a survey camera at 34mp, or the Sony A6000 at 24mp (which we use). Don't limit yourself to a platform / gimbal that can only carry one camera system. Flexibility is the key to success in this industry.

Take a look at the ARPAS website as there is some good info on there re: NQE's. You have a very large choice now. Working offshore are you ever in the Highlands? We are based there and always available for a chat.
That's a very kind offer, unfortunately at the moment I work in Romania and live at the RC Hotel in Cirfu for the summer. I won't be back in the UK until the end of September.

Regards - John