DJI Phantom 3 Professional Owners' Thread

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
OK.. I can't believe this as I said I would NEVER own a Phantom, but the 4K, small size, decent lens, built in light bridge and the deal I found with an extra battery and a Pelican case was too much to ignore and I ordered a Phantom 3 Pro.

My thinking is when I'm doing normal production work and I get an inspiration to shoot an aerial I can have it in the car ready to go. I won;t be risking one of my big rigs and a lot of the normal production is for web videos where the P3 footage will be fine.

SO after 8 years of flying multi rotors I have broke down and I will be a Phantom owner... I feel so dirty.
:rolleyes:

SO what should I expect? Who already has one? And anyone know when they are actually shipping out?!

Tahoe Ed

It is a great platform. I flew it for 3 days at NAB in a 12x12 flying cage. Not a lot of room. We bound two of the Inspire Tx's to the P3, one as a master and the other as a slave and streamed live video to a monitor an a demonstration of some goggles. No GPS in the convention center but the VPS system worked flawlessly. Super stable.

deluge2

@Bartman
Glad to see a Phantom 3 section, but I question the wisdom of two separate owner threads. Because the differences between the 'Pro' and 'Advanced' models are so limited (which is not to say they're unimportant), much of what is discussed in either thread will be applicable to both models. Anything not specifically related to the presence or absence of the 4K video modes could be posted in either or both threads. Most posters won't have the patience to post in both places, so owners of either model will have to follow *both* threads to keep current, particularly in the early times following release. This will also make life more difficult for DJI forum support staff who will have to follow both threads as well. It might be better to just have a single combined P3 owner thread. Note that this is different than, say the Phantom 2 vs. Phantom 2 Vision. There are lot's of differences and so separate threads were necessary.

One P3 example is this post. I'm posting in the P3Pro thread only because that's the model I ordered. The post is P3 owner specific, but P3Pro vs. P3Adv doesn't matter.

Another far more important example is Tahoe Ed's post above. He has the P3Adv, and his text makes clear the source is the P3Adv. But the msg was posted to the P3Pro thread and is not repeated in the P3Adv thread (at least at present).

You could delete the P3Adv thread (it's basically empty so far), and change the P3Pro to the P3Pro/Adv owners thread. If at some later point the utility of separate threads becomes clear, then your could create separate threads, each with the accumulated combined posts to that point.

Guess we'll see how it all works out...

Steve

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
that is an entirely reasonable post and I agree so we'll combine them this morning. if there's a reason to separate them at a later time then we'll do that.

thanks for the well reasoned post :)

deluge2

Well, we should start seeing some activity here soon as units have shipped or are in transit to multiple US and exUS dealers and end-users. Some stores on west coast have (or had) units in stock for retail OTC sales.

Phantom 3 Pro and Adv manuals (V1.0) and other support docs are now online at DJI.com.

Apparently due to an unfortunate error by DJI, the iOS app for P3 is not yet available through the App Store. iOS app approval by Apple and availability via App Store anticipated within 1 week, according to DJI. Firmware upgrade will be required in order to use the iOS app when it becomes available. One of the support download docs describes how to perform firmware upgrades for each of the P3 hardware components.

Android app will be available 30-APR.

Steve

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Mine shipped too late to take to Joe Nall, so it will be waiting for me when I get home. SO in two weeks I'll post some thoughts!
:D

Mario2k

Hi
Can anyone who already got Phantom 3 pro upload untouched 4k video footage and 12 mpixel pictures .
I want to compare it to gopro 4 black .

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hi
Can anyone who already got Phantom 3 pro upload untouched 4k video footage and 12 mpixel pictures .
I want to compare it to gopro 4 black .

Denny Uploaded this:

The flat lens looks very nice.

I got mine up today for a few minutes. 15 MPH wins with 20+ gusts and it do OK. Was a bit jumpy but still completely controllable.
I have to figure out the camera controls a bit more. But even with all of this I'm not unhappy with my purchase so far.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I shot this brief segment today on my P3's first flight! And I was standing around 250 yards away... in a totally different field!

Tahoe Ed

I flew mine while on vacation mostly over water and in a canyon behind a dam that fed the Yuba river. A hawk almost attacked me in the process. Not the most fun flying with all the distractions. The video was great but I have not edited yet.