2015 NAB News: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Cam, Tiny, Drone-Specific Super16 RAW Camera

jfro

Aerial Fun
Jfro - nice write up! Quick question re the sbus input, are you able to assign any of the sbus channels on your radio receiver or are you limited to the first 4 or the second 4 or the first 8 or last 8 etc? I'm curious and want to confirm that any of the sbus channels can be assigned.

Cheers

You can assign any of them. I'm currently using one 8, 11, 12 or something like that. There are 4 or 5 categories on the camera menu. Last one is radio and you just pict sbus, then go assign the feature to the channel you want to use... Then set that channel up on your radio accordingly.

vulcan2go

You can assign any of them. I'm currently using one 8, 11, 12 or something like that. There are 4 or 5 categories on the camera menu. Last one is radio and you just pict sbus, then go assign the feature to the channel you want to use... Then set that channel up on your radio accordingly.
Appreciate the response! Thanks

econfly

I've been back/forth on the micro cinema cam. Obviously there are a ton of options out there that compete, and many in 4K. But, the Blackmagic pocket remains one of my favorite video options, and the convenience of the micro cinema cam for flying is pretty compelling. The battery and card slot positions mean the cam never has to come off the gimbal (huge convenience). The HDMI out is full-sized, and that means no fiddly micro-HDMI irritations when outputting HDMI to a downlink. And, of course, the S.Bus/PWM control options are nice. The global shutter is off the table, but from what I've seen rolling shutter is no worse than the pocket and maybe better.

So, while I cancelled my pre-prder and wrote this cam off months ago, I just ordered one... We'll see.

violetwolf

Not an endorsement just passing along something I found:

http://highcee.com/blackmagic-pro-gimbal

I'd wait until they actually manufacture some and see what actual user reviews say. In my experience building gimbals, flat plate designs should be avoided. As should support from only one side of the cradle. And supporting with the motor bearings.. Then there's the thin flat plate for camera tray. Too many flex points, and likely to sympathetically resonate with the motors at high frequencies, causing issues for the IMU. Been there done that lol

I'd love to be wrong but I'd wait and see with this one. It looks like "rookie gimbal designers mistakes 101" to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

violetwolf

I agree. It appears to be just a cad drawing.

right I forgot to mention that was the basis for my opinions above. It's a CAD model for certain. Likely rendered in an app called Keyshot which I use for all my product design illustrations. Looks pretty realistic. (I'm a yacht designer by day)