Samsung NX1

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
why do you ask? i've been looking at that camera as well and we were actually in line to do a review of it but the PR firm has since backed off.

do you know much about it?

Racerx1962

Bart

I'm considering purchasing the NX1 to fly on my next build; that or the GH4. But from what I've read, the NX takes better stills and has better ISO performance than the Pana. It's roughly the same size, 10 grams less in fact. Of course it shoots 4K internally, but it records in the new h265 vs h264. Whereas h265 is the future of video compression, many NLEs don't yet support it. Samsung has also gotten very good reviews on their glass... And lastly, Samsung is releasing the NX500 in March. It's a NEX class cam (287grams) that also shoots 4K internally. In fact it has the same 28 megapixel APSC sensor as the NX1.

Here's a great comparison chart with the NX1: http://www.dpreview.com/products/co...ifilm_xt1&products=nikon_v3&sortDir=ascending

Bartman

it was the internal processing that got my attention when the guys at CES were explaining it to me. i surfed through a couple of reviews that make the camera sound pretty good but I'd rather have a camera for review before going out and buying one myself!

Racerx1962

Agreed... BTW, I'm considering a beefy quad for my aerial rig (KDE 4014s, 17.55s... AUW around 7kg). Would you trust a quad, or would you recommend a coax?

Old Man

Although I'm not Bart my preference will just about always go to the coax for the manner they respond to a motor/ESC failure. No flip, minimal if any yaw, and retention of flight control. In addition there is at least a perception of better stability in wind. Of course there's a trade off in weight, complexity, and cost that has to be considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racerx1962

Indeed... I recently experienced an ESC burn out while flying an 800 class X8... it seems the Xrotor 50A ESCs don't play well with KDE 4014s. But the SX flight controller didn't flinch. I landed her safely, completely unscathed.

I may compromise and go with a Y6.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It looks interesting but I would not buy a camera that did not allow the use of the wide array of existing lenses that are tried and true from the big name companies. I'm sure there is an adapter but from running the Commlite/Metabones on my Sony A7s to use my canon EF glass, I am kinda turned off by this for anything other than full manual shooting.

Bartman

I'm pretty sure that there are lens adapters available but Samsung has a wide angle zoom that will be pretty versatile for aerial work.

as for quads vs. okto's.....i was only using coaxial quads when i was flying for hire but have gravitated towards straight four motor quads as i've been building for fun. i can't see bringing anything less than a hex to a job where people and property will be present/nearby. yes, some will argue there is an efficiency loss by going to more motors but if you were to list all of your priorities as a professional operator you should probably have efficiency somewhere below safety. it's just my take on it but for 14 to 15 pounds you're in the realm of 4S okto's using 40A ESC's and MT2814 motors. You can do it with 6S also and I'd probably go 6S if it were a new build with no obligation to use existing 4S equipment.

I"ll keep trying to get an NX1 for a review, I'll post if it comes through but I'm not holding my breath.

Racerx1962

If you're invested heavily in another brand's glass, then it makes sense to stay with cams are that are compatible. I'm starting fresh, as I've sold most of my Nikon stuff, so it doesn't matter so much to me. I'm really leaning towards this cam, but I'm gonna wait until after NAB... surely we'll hear more about the GH5...

BTW, great response on the copter choice, Bart; that makes total sense. Do you think a Y6 would be a good compromise? One with bigger motors and props versus a 2814 octo rig?

tombrown1

Y6 is not a good idea - flat hex would be the way to go for a NX1. Y6 is squirrelly with yaw and doesn't lift as much as flat 6. Also, the props are lower on a Y6 so more likely to get props in the shot.

And don't forget, the 16mm-50mm lens for the Samsung (the really nice one that would be perfect for aerials), is VERY heavy and puts the camera weight well above the GH4.

Bartman

tom, flat anything means bigger and more difficult to travel with, even in a car. a hex is smaller than an okto but to lose the two motors you often gain larger props and therefor longer arms negating any size advantages.

i've been through this over and over and it's what led me to my XY8 frame design. the most recent big build was the MK/Movi XY8 which is my current go-to heli for important stuff although it hasn't flown in at least 6 months.

the next big build will probably be an XY8 with Pixhawk and probably another Movi M5 although I'm also making a smaller 2 axis brushless gimbal for GoPro to NEX size cameras and the Centerpiece controller.

i'm running out of frames plates for my XY8 design and might do another batch. I've got more than enough of the other parts from when I tried to go into production. I'll post it in the classifieds if I decide to make a batch.

From the other options I'd probably buy a hex and make an XY8 from that by not installing the directly front and rear arms! Or a standard X-8 if I had to really be orthodox about it but where's the fun in that?

Racerx1962

Although I'm not Bart my preference will just about always go to the coax for the manner they respond to a motor/ESC failure. No flip, minimal if any yaw, and retention of flight control. In addition there is at least a perception of better stability in wind. Of course there's a trade off in weight, complexity, and cost that has to be considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response, Old Man. I've taken your advice and decided to go coax... just to be safer.

tombrown1

Bart, I don't think that's the case anymore.

http://www.hobby-wing.com/tarot-tl6x001-x6-multicopter.html

Put some prop adapters that are ez off onto 15" props. Then you have an umbrella folding flat hex with easily removable props - total assembly time onsite - probably 2-3 minutes.

I've spent some time with Y-6 and it didn't go well. If you want to hang a NX1 from a Y6 and a motor goes out then you are in much more trouble than losing a motor on a flat hex.

Now, if you're talking octo, then I think coax is the way to go. But I don't think you can afford the efficiency loss as much on Y6.

Sorry I hijacked a NX1 thread - I just chimed in because I've been looking at this camera for awhile now and haven't found a way to fly it because the only real lens for it is way too heavy.

Best,

TB

tombrown1

You lose OIS with those lenses - I know, you shouldn't need it with the state of gimbals - but honestly if you're not running a Zen then OIS comes in awfully handy. Maybe your Freefly is in the same boat as Zen, but pretty much everything else can use a bit of help.

There are a couple of other lenses with OIS, but their apertures only go to 3.5 - as opposed to this which is 2.0! Maybe not necessary, because we don't really need the depth of field, but still a BIG difference.

The Tarot folding frame is a knock-off of the S900 which from what I understand has proven to be dependable - though I haven't followed S900 threads much lately.

Bartman

yes, depth of field issues make low aperature lenses mostly unnecessary unless there's an artistic slant on the operation and there aren't any Zenmuse mounts for the NX1 so you're going to have to go with the Movi M5 or maybe the Gremsi hStabi H6 which we will be testing as soon as they are released.

the more we're discussing this the more I want to try this camera! I'd probably want the 16-50 OIS lens for aerials but I'd also need a good zoom lens so right off the bat with other extras to get started I"m looking at $4500.

I could give up a lot of the goodies and just buy a t6i for $800 and use what I already have and just hold off on higher end imaging until I have customers that require it. event coverage for the websites and real estate work don't really justify the huge investment at the moment.

and that is why i'm still flying my t2i!