Kde 4215-465 bench test. Shocked by results.

Pumpkinguy

I Was bored last night. Set up a test bench with my kde 4215-465 and 55a esc's.

Using 16" props the amp draw @ full throttle was close to what KDE has in their technical data. They say 39.7 amps. 45.7 amps peak was what I got. The motors were cool. 80F max.
View attachment 23300 Using 18" props the results surprised me. Kde posts 51.9 amp draw at full throttle. I recorded a 85 amp peak with 78-79am being the norm. Less than 10 seconds at full throttle the esc shut down. Motor temp was 140F after only 60 seconds of run time. View attachment 23301

I was pretty disappointed at this because I designed my rig to take a 16-18" prop based on camera and lens combo and selected components accordingly.

So I need to get bigger esc's and sell off the 55's. What do you guys think about using another brand esc with these motors? Tmotor's new 80 amp maybe or should I stick with the 75amp kde?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 685
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 617

fltundra

Damaged how? I've used it for further testing. It's fine. They have overload protection, no?
I have discussed this very subject with CC and they stated that there is really no way of knowing if the esc has any damage once you hit the over temp, or over current alarm/protection.

"Controller temperature must never exceed 100C (212F). Exceeding current or temperature ratings may damage components and may shorten the life of the ESC. Always verify system current draw at full-throttle. Decrease load or increase airflow to decrease the ESC’s operating temperature."

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Normal operating range of temp for KDE ESCs is 150-220F by the way- check out the video on the KDE website here, Episode V.

Pumpkinguy

Does anyone have an opinion on the purpose of this thread? My findings on how the motors draw way more than advertised?
How the hell can you properly pick components when tech data is so far off?

fltundra

Normal operating range of temp for KDE ESCs is 150-220F by the way- check out the video on the KDE website here, Episode V.
Correction, I don't agree with those temps at all. To each his own. CC protection is at 270F, and they have been making esc's a lot longer then KDE

Last edited by a moderator:

Remoteworks

Testing @ full throttle is useless because we never go there in real world usage.
Also own the 4215 465kv with T prop 15x5 (13.2kg @ hover 76A 6s )
More then advertised! but less then other brushless motors

Attachments

• KDE_Direct__KDE4215XF.png
    KDE_Direct__KDE4215XF.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 506

Pumpkinguy

Testing @ full throttle is useless because we never go there in real world usage.
Also own the 4215 465kv with T prop 15x5 (13.2kg @ hover 76A 6s )
More then advertised! but less then other brushless motors

My point is we kinda rely on having good manufacturer data for component selection.
You are flying an octo?

Remoteworks

Yes but very difficult to compare due to various parameters; test setup, location, room temp etc.
Correct octo > see avatar.

Pumpkinguy

Hmm. And I was looking at getting these motors next.

There is nothing wrong with the motors. But do not rely on the technical specs. based on my tests if you are running 17 or 18" props you must get the 75amp esc's.
16" and smaller you are good with 55amp.

Old Man

I think the point is all about having relatively accurate tech specs. Lacking that a logical decision process is impossible. BTW I found some similar discrepancies in some T-Motor product data. Seems the industry tech standards have no standards. Lord help them all if they ever have to submit to ASTM testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fltundra

If you size your esc by the KDE4215XF-465 motor specs (65+ amps) you would see that only the 75 amp escs will work with some headroom regardless of what prop, or voltage your using.