10 News Organizations form Coalition to use drones for news gathering

SamaraMedia

The coalition participating in the testing is comprised of the following media companies: Advance Publications, Inc.; A.H. Belo Corp.; The Associated Press; Gannett Co., Inc.; Getty Images (US), Inc.; NBCUniversal; The New York Times Company; The E.W. Scripps Company; Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.; and The Washington Post.

News coalition members welcome this partnership as an opportunity to help develop procedures to safely incorporate UAS into daily journalism.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-15/10-news-outlets-to-test-drones-for-journalism.html

Seems like there is a lot of action taking place to get the year started, hopefully it will shake a few trees at the FAA. As a photojournalist for a newspaper in CT I embrace this coalition and the possibilities it holds for my future. I also believe that having news organizations band together to show strength in numbers is a good thing. The more oganization's that show an interest in using drones for safely and professionally, INMO, helps all of us gain a little ground in having decent realistic regs like the UK.

filmfly

Banding together for the positive uses of sUAS is something we can all get behind. Thanks for sharing, John. I hope good things will come of their work, for you and everyone!