Mikrokopter Nav Board USB connection

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Please could some one explain the usb connection on the nav board..

What is it for?

I have never dared to plug anything in!

Dave

recce2

Dave,
From what I understand, it was part of an early design and not used. Possibly in the future. It can however be used to charge the small GPS battery if the GPS is connected to the navi board and both are disconnected from the MK.
Dennis

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Please could some one explain the usb connection on the nav board..

What is it for?

I have never dared to plug anything in!

Dave

It isn't really a USB connection, it's where they plug in the magic smoke machine when they build the boards! Being in the UK perhaps you can find an old Lucas Electrics smoke machine to replenish the supply in your boards if they let the magic smoke out. Lucas equipment used to do it on a regular basis so there should still be plenty of their old smoke machines hanging around in garages all over the place. ;)

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
It isn't really a USB connection, it's where they plug in the magic smoke machine when they build the boards! Being in the UK perhaps you can find an old Lucas Electrics smoke machine to replenish the supply in your boards if they let the magic smoke out. Lucas equipment used to do it on a regular basis so there should still be plenty of their old smoke machines hanging around in garages all over the place. ;)

Ken

Ken youll never guess what... The factory that made the magic smoke machine was originally called Mullards which was then taken over by Lucas.. Its about 1/2 a mile from my house so Ill go have a route round and if I can get two Ill send you one ;-)

Thanks

Dave

@Recce - Dennis.. nice to here from you again.. Thanks I was kinda wishing you could access the SD card fro it but I guess that would be to easy.. Ill leave well alone unless I can get a magic smoke machine..
Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken youll never guess what... The factory that made the magic smoke machine was originally called Mullards which was then taken over by Lucas.. Its about 1/2 a mile from my house so Ill go have a route round and if I can get two Ill send you one ;-)

Thanks

Dave

@Recce - Dennis.. nice to here from you again.. Thanks I was kinda wishing you could access the SD card fro it but I guess that would be to easy.. Ill leave well alone unless I can get a magic smoke machine..
Dave

Dave, thanks for the offer but I've been riding Norton motorcycles for years so I have plenty of Lucas smoke machine equipment on hand already! ;)

Ken

Crash

Defies Psychics
Dave,
From what I understand, it was part of an early design and not used. Possibly in the future. It can however be used to charge the small GPS battery if the GPS is connected to the navi board and both are disconnected from the MK.
Dennis
Actually, it won't even charge the GPS battery. The wiki page is incorrect or misleading, the 5V line on the USB port is not connected. You need to use the MKUSB with the jumper to power the navi which charges the GPS battery.

recce2

Thanks for the correction Crash!
Actually, it won't even charge the GPS battery. The wiki page is incorrect or misleading, the 5V line on the USB port is not connected. You need to use the MKUSB with the jumper to power the navi which charges the GPS battery.