DJI Inspire-quad vs DJI S900-hex

gangle

It's a tough choice between DJI Inspire-quad vs DJI S900-hex.

I fear that an investment in a quad rotor is going end badly due yo it lack of redundancy.

I'm putting my question here because I would love to get the Inspire. Any help with advice is hugely appreciated. Gary

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the best first question is what do you want to do with it?

second question, do you have the skills to build and fix it or would you be willing to learn them?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Bart's absolutely right, as always. The inspire is very appealing because of what it does and how it does it but you have to look at what sort of imagery you require. From this work out the camera you require and then choose an aircraft that can take the desired camera. If the camera on the inspire fulfills your requirements then go for it but if not then the S900 is probably best as it can take various cameras depending on the gimbal chosen. You may find that neither of these aircraft can take what need so you may have to look at another option.

gangle

What I want to do with it: I'm in the arch viz industry. As an architect / animator, I've flown my own and other professional's architectural projects for more than 20 years. I'm going to do that now for real.

Camera: The Inspire's 4k Sony sensor camera seems to be a good choice for my purposes, along with it's possible modularity. Before Inspire I was ready to look at sony, JVC and especially Black Magic. S900 was my choice. Inspire's features gave me pause: Light Bridge, ground sensor, etc.

Skills:I've fast tracked my flying skills thru trainers and simulation to feel that flying manual is second nature. Larger trainers gave me a HUGE respect for multirotor issues, especially the safety aspect.

Build? I've performed electronics transplants, repairs that are minor and survived tech support (20 years of workstation customizing helps)

My quandary is that I've seen what becomes of a quad with a motor failure...basically, when falling, it's a small boulder. This is why my question of redundancy.

Guys, Thanks so much for responding to my post. I not only have respect for these aircraft now...-Gary

gangle

My worst fear is setting my camera specs too low. Arch Viz doesn't need industrial videography standards for the most part but I'd heard rumors that the Inspire has some jello problems but that just might have been during takeoff transition. The Sony sensor, 4k, dng, etc all look good.

The Inspire's price-point with 2 controllers tells me that it packages all the best features at a good price point, where the S900 or 1000 seem open ended.

Again, it's the redundancy issue of a quad that has me concerned.-Gary

Carapau

The redundancy issue can be overcome by operating procedures ie keep people, even if under your control, at a distance from the aircraft. If this is not possible then going for a hexa is certainly the safer choice and that for me is the problem solved. I put safety as my top priority so the hexa would win every time IF you cant find a procedural method to mitigate a motor loss on the Inspire.

econfly

For me it would all come down to the camera. I've been following the Inspire release and looking at a lot of photo and video output and I think the end results are pretty poor for the total cost. Everything else looks just terrific (built-in HD downlink, full featured app, easy out of the box flying experience, etc.). But if all I saw was the video file -- well, personally I would rather fly a GoPro. Any decent camera on an S900 (GH4, or BMPCC for example) is going to absolutely crush the Inspire when it come to video quality.

Rickey

Owner of RT Aerial Videos
I'm Interested in the same debate as well. Not from the redundancy aspect but more from the price to quality ratio.... I think the inspire is great and is cheap for what it is. A s900, gimbal, camera and second remote would cost you around 5,500 probably even more.... Biggest benefit of the inspire is it has the photo censors for indoor/no gps flights.... And you can have a dual person set up for 3200 but the s900 with better camera could produce slightly better film.... What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carapau

Define quality. If you are after quality imagery then the S900 is without doubt the better setup because of the cameras it can take. As I said before, if imagery is your main concern then you have to look at the camera first. An S900 can be flown equally as well indoors but you would have to fly in Atti mode so yes it does require a tad more flying skill to do so, but not much more.

The two machines are totally different and I think you have to analyze what is your end goal. Once you have done that then the answer should be pretty simple. Dont get taken in by the newness of the Inspire and the obvious bling factor that this brings. If you dont analyze what your requirements are and just go for the aircraft which seems to be the nicest you will only look back in six months time with regret as you shell out more cash for the right aircraft.

gangle

The inspire seems to be a "one stop shop" where the S900s are pieced together, not that I'm afraid of the work.

If the quality of the Inspires footage were better, having 2 rigs would essentially keep you in business.

Still, redundancy for both safety in people and dollars still sways me toward the S900...

Such great comments here! Thank you.

Rickey

Owner of RT Aerial Videos
I personally would lean toward the s900 over the inspire as well. Should we start a pro con list to help you? Or have you decided?
My only hold up is price difference.
Here are a few that I can think of right now. Feel free to add yours.

Inspire
Pros
Smaller easier to transport
Low cost for a dual set up
One stop shop
Everything's tested.
Photo censor for indoor flight
Props are up higher and out of cameras angle

Cons
No safety net if one motor fails
Not as stable as hex or octo
Camera could be better