Stratus Productions Wire Vibration Isolater

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Have you ever noticed that the rubber bushings on your camera gimbal’s vibration dampener wear out somewhat quickly? Have you noticed that during super cold temperatures the rubber bobbins get stiffer and is less effective? Have you ever noticed that many of the RTF $50K+ rigs seem to use some sort of wire dampening system instead of the rubber bobbin system?

Well the guys at Stratus Productions noticed all of this and came up with a solution!

The Stratus Productions Wire Vibration Isolater! With several versions to assist small FPV rigs all the way up to 4000 grams (8.8lbs) these guys have you covered!

Check the big one out!

View attachment 22161

View attachment 22162 View attachment 22163 View attachment 22164 View attachment 22165

And let’s not forget the FPV version:
View attachment 22166

Pretty nice units! I’m thinking I may try the large one soon!

Large Camera Vibration Isolator
For cameras/gimbals ranging in size from 700-4000 grams
Weight 200g
Price: $149.00 (Shipped within US, $159 outside of the US)

POV/FPV Camera Vibration Isolator
For GoPro style cameras
Price: $29.99. (Shipped within US, $36.99 outside of the US)

For more info check out: Stratus Productions

Attachments

• DSLR Vibration Isolator.jpg
    DSLR Vibration Isolator.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 731
  • mounting holes.jpg
    mounting holes.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 464
  • POV DAMP.jpg
    POV DAMP.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 757

Exactly!! If you look on any 6 axis Cineflex type gimbal, they all run wire isolation. I was planning on CNC'ing one, but ill just go ahead and order this! Thanks for sharing Stephen!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Looks really interesting. Thanks for the heads up Sleepy.

Quick question: has anyone ever dealt with adjusting tension on a wire mount like this by removing the strands from the wire? When I read that on their site - that seemed like it could be a bit of a pain, unless I'm reading that incorrectly.

Cameraj

Have you ever noticed that the rubber bushings on your camera gimbal’s vibration dampener wear out somewhat quickly? Have you noticed that during super cold temperatures the rubber bobbins get stiffer and is less effective? Have you ever noticed that many of the RTF $50K+ rigs seem to use some sort of wire dampening system instead of the rubber bobbin system?

Well the guys at Stratus Productions noticed all of this and came up with a solution!

The Stratus Productions Wire Vibration Isolater! With several versions to assist small FPV rigs all the way up to 4000 grams (8.8lbs) these guys have you covered!

Check the big one out!

View attachment 22161

View attachment 22162 View attachment 22163 View attachment 22164 View attachment 22165

And let’s not forget the FPV version:
View attachment 22166

Pretty nice units! I’m thinking I may try the large one soon!

Large Camera Vibration Isolator
For cameras/gimbals ranging in size from 700-4000 grams
Weight 200g
Price: $149.00 (Shipped within US, $159 outside of the US)

POV/FPV Camera Vibration Isolator
For GoPro style cameras
Price: $29.99. (Shipped within US, $36.99 outside of the US)

For more info check out: Stratus Productions
I ordered one of the Large Camera Vibration Isolatorl how long will it take for me to recive it?
Thanks

Dylan M

Which Switch...
This looks good, any possibility of a beefed up isolator for 15-20lbs? I think there will be a decent market for that.

Zaidy

Looks really interesting. Thanks for the heads up Sleepy.

Quick question: has anyone ever dealt with adjusting tension on a wire mount like this by removing the strands from the wire? When I read that on their site - that seemed like it could be a bit of a pain, unless I'm reading that incorrectly.
You remove a whole wire, so your configuration could be 4x4 or 3x4 or 2x4 or 1x4, depending on weight of camera rig. Removing strand from a wire is a non starter in my opinion

jfro

Aerial Fun
I would hope you're correct. But the following sentence has me wondering....

I would think you could adjust softness by lengthening or shorting the wire length or maybe the wire thickness instead of taking out strands of twisted wire.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
For a while I had thought about making my own version of this - when I first saw an MR with a center section utilizing this concept (Gryphon???).

But the biggest value for me of paying someone else to do it would be their having figured out various wire for various weights - much like dampeners. Obviously there'd be to be trial and error - but someone getting you in the ballpark would save a ton of R&D time.

Jfro: for people in our climates this could prove very useful. I can use any help I can get keeping vibes out of my footage - and the rubber dampeners in this cold ain't helping :)

jfro

Aerial Fun
For a while I had thought about making my own version of this - when I first saw an MR with a center section utilizing this concept (Gryphon???).

But the biggest value for me of paying someone else to do it would be their having figured out various wire for various weights - much like dampeners. Obviously there'd be to be trial and error - but someone getting you in the ballpark would save a ton of R&D time.

Jfro: for people in our climates this could prove very useful. I can use any help I can get keeping vibes out of my footage - and the rubber dampeners in this cold ain't helping :)

I agree with everything you've said. I'm going to try to get a little air time this weekend. Temps are in the mid to low 20's and wind in the 10-14 mph. Good testing cooler weather. If my footage looks good, then there is no reason to worry about changing. If not, I'll take a look at the wire system.

If it's a problem, I'd then have to decide whether to buy this system or do a DIY and play with the wire length and size. Since I'd need 2, the savings is pretty significant as my cost for materials for 1 probably $10-$15 dollars for g10 and wire for the DIY... I buy scrap g10 pretty cheap in 12x12 pieces (and have lots) and also have standoffs and lots of hex screws. Might not need to buy anything. But, there is a huge time savings just buying this. Same ol same ol problem when deciding whether to DIY or not.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Agreed. Cost vs time. Hard to decide sometimes. This product advertises to be appropriate for a range of 700-4000 grams which seems pretty broad to me.

I'll be curious to see how this works out.

You have a good line on cheap standoffs? McMaster is killing me!

Cameraj

I bought one, and man even with the web photos this is a pain to build. It's like building a mouse trap. This product needs a build video or photos with more depth of field. The carbon plates and hardware are very nice

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
There is a build video on the site. It seems fairly in-depth. Haven't gotten through the whole thing. Please let us know what you think once you've used it a bit.

wizprod

While I like the simplicity, i dont like the quite large lateral movement it allows.
I dont think the removing of strands is a viable solution in The field. Having multiple isolator-sets with different strand-counts and lengths is probably the way to go.

The temperature issue; remember that metal also gets stiffer in cold weather. So the question is if it is not just another alternative to the rubber dampers, but still get affected by temperature?