Lipo charging on the go

blades

Just wondering what the general thoughts are re charging on the go... Or out of the back of a vehicle to be more precise?
What would be considered best / safest method? Generator, Invertor or Leisure Batteries wired into the vehicle?

thanks in advance

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Haven't tried an extra battery in the car but did try using power from the aux outlet (aka cigarette lighter) and it didn't work too well, just not enough power to do much. I could charge two packs but very slowly to the point that it wasn't much help. a generator works great if you'll be at any one spot for enough time to make it useful. a big deep cycle battery would probably do very well but then there's another thing to keep charged in between work days.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I assume you are aware that the vehicle wiring and fusing is not designed to accommodate higher current required for charging larger batteries quickly.
So charging has to be done from the front with the hood open or away from the vehicle by other means.

Smaller generators can not provide the instantaneous current you would require for faster charging.
But an extra fully charged vehicle battery in conjunction with your vehicle battery can provide a vast amount of current for reasonable period of time for charging.
If your charger can take in 24 VDC that is even more efficient with those batteries connected in series.

But maybe one day this new technology on a small scale could be useful to us:
http://www.aquionenergy.com/energy-storage-technology

henrysj

I would go the gene route, looked into decking out the van with leisure batteries but it's a lot to invest in something that you can only operate from your vehicle. With a Gene - stick it on a trolley and you can take it with you to your flight site or use it from the van. I got a 6k one and run 2 x icharger 4010 duo's @ 2800 watts each

blades

I would go the gene route, looked into decking out the van with leisure batteries but it's a lot to invest in something that you can only operate from your vehicle. With a Gene - stick it on a trolley and you can take it with you to your flight site or use it from the van. I got a 6k one and run 2 x icharger 4010 duo's @ 2800 watts each

cheers for the info.... When you say a 6k one, am I right in thinking 6000w? What model did you go for?

henrysj

yeah 6000w - I went for a Honda GX390 although if I didn't need the full 6000w I would go for the honda eu20i which can be linked in series to give you 4000w

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Leisure batteries are good but dont necessarily last long unless you have a massive bank of them. I have a set in my van which is great for charging between locations or if filming is happening between flights and they need a quiet set. Forget using car or the motor's batteries as they are not designed to give prolong high current discharges and you can kill them pretty quickly. Geny is your best bet. I have an EU20i which rocks- quiet and reliable. I am about to get a second to use in parallel to speed things up a bit.

kloner

Aerial DP
we like the generator route.... can fly till were out of gas, honda and yamaha have some killer little genny's

dazzab

Haven't tried an extra battery in the car but did try using power from the aux outlet (aka cigarette lighter) and it didn't work too well, just not enough power to do much. I could charge two packs but very slowly to the point that it wasn't much help. a generator works great if you'll be at any one spot for enough time to make it useful. a big deep cycle battery would probably do very well but then there's another thing to keep charged in between work days.
Yep, as stated in other posts the wiring in the car isn't designed for the current. When I tried this out I connected the charger directly to my car battery and it worked fine. My need to charge from the car is quite limited and really just as a backup measure. So I think I'll go with the two car battery idea for now. A generator is a bit of overkill for me at the moment. Although I can see that as the perfect solution if I decide to camp out while shooting.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I use two 110ah leisure batteries in series. Charges quite a few lipos before you need to recharge them. Cheap and easy, plus you can charge whilst driving. The car battery with the engine running (direct connection under bonnet) works well enough, but is annoying having the car running.

kloner

Aerial DP
under the hood is illegal in america at AMA fields cause so many cars burned down in the parking lots..... I've never had one go under hood, but have had a few leave while charging, just lit up in the kitchen but to be fair, was really beat up lipos that did it....

blades

Thank you everyone for your posts... It's really kind of you all to share your methods... Thank you!

I have charged from an Anderson plug at the rear of my car using a deep cycle battery that is mounted under the bonnet (hood) in my 4wd. My charger will run off 12v and at maximum draw is about 25a. My wiring is well and truly up for it as I installed it myself. When I finish charging I plug my solar panel in and put some charge back into the battery. I do not need to run the vehicle but if I do it is charging the battery. I also run a fridge off the system because it is really important to have a cold one while out in the bush camping. Gives me a versatile system.
Regards
Crispy

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I went for two leisure batteries in series as the current draw is then half, 24v is more efficient and you get more charges out of your batteries.

For under the bonnet charging I use an extension lead so the lipos are well away from the car itself.

Mick Koi

Leisure batteries are good but dont necessarily last long unless you have a massive bank of them. I have a set in my van which is great for charging between locations or if filming is happening between flights and they need a quiet set. Forget using car or the motor's batteries as they are not designed to give prolong high current discharges and you can kill them pretty quickly. Geny is your best bet. I have an EU20i which rocks- quiet and reliable. I am about to get a second to use in parallel to speed things up a bit.
Hi A, how many batteries can u charge safely of one of those EU20i geny's? I'm starting to look into getting my vehicle properly fitted with elec, to run various out's, but may just get one of those little honda's instead.. cheers

With the Honda you will have about 2000w @ 240v (Australian version) That means there is plenty of power to run a battery charger or 2.
Figure out how Watts is needed to run your charger and factor in a safety margin and then you have your answer
Regards
Crispy

Carapau

I can charge 4x9AH batteries at once at 1C along with a bunch of 3s 2200s (for monitors etc). Its a good Geni but I wish it had more power- it will only do a constant 1600W but then can hook 2 of them together to get 3200W making it a scalable geni which is great.

flyonix

Flyonix
We find the most efficient way is a 2KW Honda silent generator for charging larger packs. and it is also useful for a number of other jobs also, such as charging camera batteries, etc...

Carapau

My geni is the Honda eu20i also but sadly it will only do 1600w constant (as per its specs with 2kw being a peak output). Flipping good geni otherwise

blades

Thanks guys.... Looks like a Honda e20i it is then.... I didn't realise they could be connected in series to increase output. Nice to know that option is there if needed.