Obstacle Avoidance for MultiRotors

trmoore

Has anyone seen any products that can detect obstacles and automatically avoid them for remote controlled MultiRotors? Is there a need for such a device? I'm looking to develop a system as a project and am trying to get some feedback on market viability.

trmoore

Thanks for the links guys.

I'm looking for a standalone module that anyone can buy and plug into their existing multirotor setup. It seems like the only obstacle avoidance systems out there are built into pre-packaged drones.

What are your guys thoughts on a standalone module that can be added onto anybody's multirotor setup?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I started dabbling with it. It's not an easy problem to solve. Particularly when you actually take the aircraft outside. Does a Kinect work outside? I doubt it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxtl2sM6RtM

It's not likely that you can make a stand-alone system that can be added to any flight controller. My advice to you would be not to bother. Just detecting objects reliably is hard enough. Trying to have the flight controller intelligently respond is going to be even more difficult, working from the outside.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
using a radar altimeter to detect height above ground level you'd have to define closure thresholds that represent a risk of crashing into the ground and then define a response algorithm like max throttle to safe altitude reading.

lateral flight into obstacles would require more sensing equipment (horizontal in all directions instead of just vertical) and the sensing and response definitions would have to be able to override flight control impulses.

getting it all to fit on an existing heli might be hard if the equipment can't be made sufficiently small and the electronics would have to be able to inject their opinions into the flight control's outputs to the motors.

if you can do all that then it might be a great idea!

trmoore

I feel that the most useful type of obstacle avoidance would be in the horizontal directions. The module would definitely need to override flight control impulses in to effectively avoid obstacles.

An obstacle avoidance system definitely seems needed in low altitude and busy environments. It would be necessary for truly autonomous flight guided by GPS or other location processing.