DJI Livecast is happening right now. new announcement hasn't happened yet

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
proprietary and probably protected by patents. the batteries will be the big kick in the arse (if the Phantom prices are any indication) and, yes, service improvements should be forthcoming.

jdennings

My personal opinion about this new product is that everything about it is proprietary. Proprietary radio, battery, camera, motors. One sole source for everything and one company monopolizing the service aspect of it.

Yep. That's the only way to provide full RTF, zero build time systems and ... make big bucks by shrink-wrapping and offering them via place like B&H. Spread the news that anyone can fly these things and shoot selfies like a pro, with no training or MR knowledge whatsoever, and you've got a $$$ winner ...

That financial model also allows DJI to price parts way high, really handy for extra revenue generation from those new buyers who realize that, err ..., well, it's easy, but maybe it's not THAT easy ...

Yep. That's the only way to provide full RTF, zero build time systems and ...

You can still have RTF but not lock the user into an exclusivity arrangement for every component of your system. The system should be flexible enough to allow the consumer the flexibility to select the camera and/or batteries of their choice. Some modularity goes a long way. The original Phantom and Phantom 2 had this philosophy. The Phantom Vision brought on this "exclusivity model" but I think this time, it will backfire on them.

Does any of the car manufacturers lock you into buying "their gas", "their tires" or "their brake pads" ?? they'd be dead in the water if they did.

I think someone with half a brain should realize that DJI's business practice for the past year is to "lock you in for life" whenever you purchase something from them. I sure did awhile ago and at this $3K+ price point, it is beyond me why would anyone consider this as a "viable GoPro aerial platform replacement".

Bartman

what car manufacturer is giving away parts? none that I've ever owned. aircraft manufacturers?

as someone that has been building his own from day one and helping others to do the same, this evolution of the product approach to selling multi-rotor helicopters is no surprise. i've been surprised by some of DJI's actions but for the most part they've developed a huge following of pilots using their Phantom line of products and this is the next evolutionary step for them. they'd be fools to ignore it!

parts, service, reliability, we'll see how it all develops in time. i'd be willing to bet we're going to see some undeniably great footage. but we'll get that from a lot of platforms so it's all in the course of being involved in this insanity!

jdennings

You can still have RTF but not lock the user into an exclusivity arrangement for every component of your system. The system should be flexible enough to allow the consumer the flexibility to select the camera and/or batteries of their choice. Some modularity goes a long way. The original Phantom and Phantom 2 had this philosophy. The Phantom Vision brought on this "exclusivity model" but I think this time, it will backfire on them.

Does any of the car manufacturers lock you into buying "their gas", "their tires" or "their brake pads" ?? they'd be dead in the water if they did.

I think someone with half a brain should realize that DJI's business practice for the past year is to "lock you in for life" whenever you purchase something from them. I sure did awhile ago and at this $3K+ price point, it is beyond me why would anyone consider this as a "viable GoPro aerial platform replacement".

Agree, and that Inspire One is not for me for these very reasons, and the same reasons it's not for you either.

But you are thinking like an engineer, and someone who knows about MRs.

This thing is targeted at people who have no clue what a Lipo is, let alone 3s vs 4s or Xt60 connectors or wire gauge or what not. And probably don't *ever* want to know about it.
All they want to do is press a button and fly a drone to film, via them levers on the whatchamacallit control box.

And so this product needs to "just work". (The Apple way, btw).
And if it costs more that it should, is proprietary and inflexible, and actually offers relatively crappy imaging, well, it's our loss.
But not those targeted consumers. And not DJI's either.

Bartman

in the interest of remaining objective, it's been one day and there are but a handful of samples circulating. if it sucks you'll be free to discuss it as always. if not though there will be an expectation we can remain objective.

apple is a bad example, fwiw, have you seen the recent Consumer Reports article?

maybe someone should price out a comparable RTF heli that is custom built by a reputable shop for comparison's sake. i'll start, GoPro 4, $499

curiously enough, I'm planning a new XY4 build for a GoPro so it might actually make for a good comparison.

AEA737

look for lots of perfectly good used Phantoms and F550's in the classifieds! I'm looking for an H3-2D for the GoPro 3 in excellent condition if anyone wants to sell one!

I´m not selling my F550 Bart. In fact I´ll be upgrading it with the E600 power system to get longer flight times. For us that own one or two transmitters and lots of Lipos, spending 3000$ on a new system with its own proprietary transmitters and batteries is not appealing. I´d prefer to spend those 3000$ on a new S900.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
It would be hard for someone to come close to $2800

GoPro 4 Black: $499
Zenmuse HD-3D:$379
Light Bridge: $1035
WKM: $999
FUT T8FGs - $499
Retracts: $250

That's $3661 without a real 3 axis 360 deg gimbal...

SO.. not THAT bad of a price.

Av8Chuck

IDK Chuck, the GoPro 4 is being hailed as a pretty competent little camera. I've yet to try one but even the 3 was a huge upgrade from what we had come to expect from GoPro footage.

and from what I can tell, the Inspire is way more potent in its hardware and capabilities than a Phantom. Lightbridge capabilities via a cell phone app? Optical flow system to replace GPS functions indoors? Dual operator 3-axis camera mount? 18 minutes flight time? modular imaging system? zero assembly?

if it can keep its composure in wind then it'll be a home run.

sure it will be up to users to establish its limitations but anyone with a good measure of competence with a Phantom and some pro skills will likely go on to do some very cool stuff with the Inspire.

and keep in mind that this is the first iteration of this particular configuration, it's anybody's guess what the black-ops people at DJI are working on in private.

imho, it's an interesting combination of current technology with a novel approach to simplifying the issue of creating a clear view for your camera (while also complicating it).

i'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this.
bart

FUT T8FGs - $499

I think your making the wrong comparison:

Phantom from B&H: 479.00

That's $1357 for a comparable quad that can accomplish the same mission, that's if you wanted to stay with DJI, there are other RTF quads that cost less. It can certainly be argued that the Phantom was a game changer, this is an OK upgrade to the latest Phantom. So if you can make money flying a GoPro and you don't already own a Phantom its probably enough new features that for some it will make sense to start with the Inspire 1. Not sure if its worth the upgrade if you already have the Vision 2 or a Phantom with a good 3-axis gimbal and GoPro. The real problem I have with this setup, and the vision, is that at least if I'm flying a GoPro I can always remove it and use it on my car, motorcycle or airplane so my GoPro has more value. DJI only looks at this from the drones perspective.

Also, I don't think I'm saying anything that anyone doesn't already know, the dependability and product support from DJI is "fill in the blank __________"

I'm not knocking the Inspire 1, not sure anyone is, I think the reaction is to the marketing. I tell every professional photographer they should own a GoPro and I tell everyone interested in learning about MR's they should buy a Phantom but I don't set their expectations that they should purchase a Phantom, hang out a shingle and start a commercial AP business. There is so much more to building a successful business than just the camera or the drone but if AP is the only service you offer or you only have one MR then there's no way I would ever recommend DJI anything to be that single point of failure. So I'm not bashing their product, as far as product launches go that was pretty wimpy, but if we're going to discuss this in a forum that's known for catering to aspiring "professionals" then I think pointing out that the hype does not match reality is a good thing to do.

I'll wait about three months for the hysteria to die down but I'll probably buy one.

SamaraMedia

FUT T8FGs - $499

Which retracts are you suggesting for $250? Looking for something to strap under my hex.

Thanks,

john

Tahoe Ed

@ Av8Chuck,

What about a Tx and the Lightbridge? That would be another $1500. So you are back to it doesn't look like a bad deal.

Av8Chuck

@ Av8Chuck,

What about a Tx and the Lightbridge? That would be another $1500. So you are back to it doesn't look like a bad deal.

Doesnt the Phantom come with a Tx? Even if it doesn't a Tx would be approximately $300-$500, and why do I need light ridge to shoot with a GoPro?

Tahoe Ed

The Inspire comes with Lightbridge, if you want to compare apples to apples you need to include it. I will give you the Tx as the new P2's come with the V2 Tx and it has a trainer port that works with Lightbridge.

Av8Chuck

I don't understand why you think I need to include the lightbridge in the estimate if its something I don't need to shoot aerial video with a GoPro. I think some of the functionality that lightbridge provides could have value if I were trying to fly a larger camera with better articulated control of a 3-axis gimbal but for basically a Phantom replacement that can only carry a camera that's comparable to a GoPro, I don't get it.

If your comparing the price of the Inspire 1 at a component level then you can certainly build a MR that has much more carrying capacity and comparable functionality for the same price. I realize this product is targeted at people who are not inclined to want to build and tune their own MR but all I have said is that its a cooler more expensive replacement for the Phantom, not much of a game changer.

Nor am I saying it won't sell well, but this launch made it sound like it was going to be a product that will enable a new level of professional aerial photography, not with that camera.

Bartman

Which retracts are you suggesting for $250? Looking for something to strap under my hex.

Thanks,

john

i don't know about new but i've got a slightly modified set of RC Timer retracts that I'd probably let go for about $250! I think they were $450 new.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Doesnt the Phantom come with a Tx? Even if it doesn't a Tx would be approximately $300-$500, and why do I need light ridge to shoot with a GoPro?

And that is not a $3-500 Tx. That's like a $100-150 Tx that the Inspire comes with. Very simple casing, melt soap bar design, few controls, no display IIRC. Actually, that's the biggest let-down for me. I think the styling of the quad itself is actually pretty cool. But the Tx is like a style-free zone. ;) Like they hired some of the unemployed ex-GM interior designers or something. :highly_amused:

You can get retracts for closer to $100 easily, if you're willing to do a very minor amount of work.

SamaraMedia

You can get retracts for closer to $100 easily, if you're willing to do a very minor amount of work.

Thanks for the offer Bart, I'll keep it in mind.

Rob, what are you tossing out there? I've searched for retracts and the prices vary from $50-$1500. Too cheap and I'm suspect of the quality, too expensive and it's out of my market (Aerovonics). These are for a 3-4k hex that I current have a H3-3D but looking to mount the new LX100 (if I keep the camera, not video out and lens protrudes further than I would like) on DIY gimbal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deluge2

Setting aside the aesthetics for a moment, I think you're significantly underestimating the (claimed) functionality of the Inspire Tx. It has more channels (10? Or more) and more inputs, including two dial controls, multiple toggles (as buttons) and the two primary joysticks. Plus it has the Lightbridge ground unit functionality with HD video outputs for iDevice, android, or other external monitor. It has 2.4GHz link to the aircraft for control uplink and telemetry and video downlink. And it has 5.8 GHZ for communication when using the optional master/slave 2 transmitter setup, with one Tx for aircraft control and the other Tx for gimbal control. Also includes lipo battery and charger. $650 as separate item, and prices will decrease over time.

On the style front, there is at least one early experience outfit that included black Tx units with brushed metallic externals. Not sure if that will ever ship though. Still same basic shape and layout, but to many much better eye-appeal.

Steve

And that is not a $3-500 Tx. That's like a $100-150 Tx that the Inspire comes with. Very simple casing, melt soap bar design, few controls, no display IIRC. Actually, that's the biggest let-down for me. I think the styling of the quad itself is actually pretty cool. But the Tx is like a style-free zone. ;) Like they hired some of the unemployed ex-GM interior designers or something. :highly_amused:

ChrisViperM

Just wonder why they did all the patents on that bird.....their competition is sitting right next to them in China, where patents mean kack all......
Good thing is: For great footage you need lots of talent and experience.... the rig is just a tool

jdennings

Rob, what are you tossing out there? I've searched for retracts and the prices vary from $50-$1500. Too cheap and I'm suspect of the quality, too expensive and it's out of my market ...

In a similar boat here. Nothing worse than a retract that fails so it's a tough choice ....