Inspire 1 Owner's Thread

snurre

So what codec, data rate and storage does the camera use? I suspect RED would go bust very quickly if this new camera can really match up to a Dragon 6K sensor on the big screen... :)
Copy-paste from DJI Inspire specs: http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/spec
[h=5]HD Video Recording Modes[/h]
UHD (4K):4096x2160p24/25,3840x2160p24/25/30
FHD:1920x1080p24/25/30/48/50/60
HD: 1280x720p24/25/30/48/50/60
[h=5]Max Bitrate of Video Storage[/h]
60Mbps

[h=5]Supported File Formats[/h]
FAT32/exFAT
Photo: JPEG,DNG
Video: MP4/MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)

[h=5]Supported SD Card Types[/h]
SD/SDHC/SDXC Micro SD
Max capacity: 64GB. Speed: Class 10 or higher

Compared to a Dragon 6K, or a DSLR, this is low data rate.
Did not find any elaborate info on Codecs.

snurre

I spent all day yesterday at the event, 20 hour day if you include 5.5hours of driving. As stated, I can post some pictures of the Inspire . I have been trying to upload photos for the last hour and it continues to fail. I will try again later.

Hey Ed, maybe you could upload to a Dropbox public folder and just share the download links here?

I would be really interested in having a close look at the source material, video files and stills (dng, preferabely).
And I guess I´m not the only one being curious ... ;)

Copy-paste from DJI Inspire specs: http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/spec
HD Video Recording Modes

UHD (4K):4096x2160p24/25,3840x2160p24/25/30
FHD:1920x1080p24/25/30/48/50/60
HD: 1280x720p24/25/30/48/50/60
Max Bitrate of Video Storage

60Mbps

Supported File Formats

FAT32/exFAT
Photo: JPEG,DNG
Video: MP4/MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)

Supported SD Card Types

SD/SDHC/SDXC Micro SD
Max capacity: 64GB. Speed: Class 10 or higher

Compared to a Dragon 6K, or a DSLR, this is low data rate.
Did not find any elaborate info on Codecs.

I was surprised to see there was no RAW file output. While MPEG-4 is OK, it's still compresses the video image with a degree of lossyness. With all the 4K hype from Inspire, I'm a bit disappointed to see no RAW output.

Tahoe Ed

rilot,

Vislaw did some great work with his beta unit. I am more of a technician than a photographer/AP guy. I know enough to be dangerous and my editing skills are not great but getting better. I found that my MacBook Pro is not up to processing 4K video and I have built a dedicated PC with fast processing, memory and storage. I will see if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

snurre

Raw DNGs in this review. They are pretty good. http://visual-aerials.com/dji-inspire-1.html

I've had a quick play in PS and there's plenty of dynamic range to play with. I think we will see some very good stills from this camera.

I am having a look at these dng´s in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.
Before I make my opinion - is there a Lens Corrections profile available for the Inspire camera? (if yes, pls. provide download link).
The lens profiles, when available, usually make a great job correcting for chromatic aberration, distorsion and vignetting.

Tahoe Ed

I am having a look at these dng´s in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.
Before I make my opinion - is there a Lens Corrections profile available for the Inspire camera? (if yes, pls. provide download link).
The lens profiles, when available, usually make a great job correcting for chromatic aberration, distorsion and vignetting.

As far as I know, right now no. The Creative Director for Adobe was at the Inspire introduction so I would imagine it should not be too long.

JB2013

I was wondering if the Inspire 1 folds the arms for transportation?
It looks bigger than Phantom and i am very interested to see how easy it is to fold and transport the Inspire.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Is there any documentation on the camera.

Interested in knowing if there a manual controls for exposure?

rilot

I have to say, I'm quite irritated by DJI's pricing for this in the UK. Based on the US price and once taxes are added I was expecting around the £2100 mark and that's what a few dealers were quoting too. I now see it's £20 short of £2400 which is a whole lot more than the US price even when taking in to account our 20% VAT.

deluge2

So more "information" coming out in dribs and drabs. Surprised there's not a better orchestrated output of technical information from DJI. So here are some random things I found of some interest:

As yet un-named flight controller said to be 'new' and 'above the A2'. Speculation is that it will later be released as a separate item. Still not pics in the wild of the 'new' FC.

Battery pricing (optional TB48 6s, 5700 mAH battery for $199 with 22 min claimed flight time, smaller standard battery TB47 6s, 4500 mAH for $159 with 18 min claimed flight time). Dollar cost per unit flight time ~$9/min. Initial battery pricing is better than I would have guessed, and is almost reasonable *if* they have engineered around problems with earlier P2/P2V 'intelligent' batteries. If it follows the pricing for the P2/P2V batteries, the prices will come down in less than 1 yr. Batteries have 2 primary tab contacts and 4 pin contacts to allow individual cell voltage monitoring information to be sent to FC. One tab is shorter than the other so that sequence of electrical connection is fixed.

Optical flow low-altitude positioning system is said to operate at up to 2.5 m and relies on combination of ultrasound ranging from two transceivers and optical imaging to provide altitude and horizontal position stabilization.

'Retraction' mechanism appears to be a threaded screw whose rotation is controlled by a top-mounted, single-gear reduction motor under transmitter control. When the screw column is turned a threaded collar shifts vertically actuating the arm articulation motion lowering or raising the arms. From video close-ups it appears to be reasonably well-made. Patent documentation provides additional detail on linkage.

Several video shots show occasional brief periods of shaking of the camera & gimbal assembly at times. If this persists in shipping units, could be highly problematic, obviously.

Many early systems have black brushed metal transmitter housings. No mention of when/whether these will be available to consumers.

Steve

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i was told something else about the flight control system, that it lies between the A2 and NAZA....

also, the units that are out there being tested are pre-production and have seen lot of use so they may or may not be performing as production units will.

shipping starts on the 22nd.

we shall see