APM 2.0 software on OSX - getting started

Flydigital

I have connected my pixhawk for the first time to a Mac and ran APM 2.0 to set it up. After loading firmware successfully, I think, there are no further options to move further.
The Ardupilot page describes how you can then select 'Mandatory hardware > frame type and so on. I see nothing. Just 2 buttons - Install firmware (already done) and '3DR Radio.
Is the OSX version missing something OR do I need to have the whole system wired up. I currently have the Pixhawk only wired into the USB. Does it need all the ESCs and motors connected to open up the configuration options?
Otherwise I'm guessing it may be PC only but it's not mentioned in the set up as far as I can tell.
Thanks for any assistance here :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 00.48.51.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 00.48.51.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 264

PhillNZ

He tangata ki tahi
If you haven't found the great info here - http://copter.ardupilot.com - looking under instructions, then first time setup in the drop menu you should go read it all. This is very comprehensive information and explains the whole process along with the prompts in the APM programme itself.

You will need your transmitter to calibrate, and yes the copter will need to be assembled as you will also "swing the compass"

Flydigital:

I have encountered similar problems while trying to setup an APM 2.6 board. Here is what I have figured out...

First off, there are two software packages. One is "Mission Planner" and the other is "APM 2.0". I think the link that PhillNZ posted applies primarily to "Mission Planner", not to "APM 2.0".

Mission Planner runs only under windows.
APM 2.0 will run on Mac or windows.

It appears that the Mac version is limited as of yet. It might be that APM 2.0 on the Mac can be used in a run-time mode, that is, once the aircraft is setup and flying. It also appears as if the windows version is required to do the basic firmware installation and setup/calibration. When I plugged my APM 2.6 board into a Mac, I got the two buttons that you described

As for connecting, I was able to do basic configuration (choosing aircraft type, reading GPS position, etc) by connecting just the APM board to the computer (windows) using "Mission Planner". In order to do any more calibration of the sensors, I think that the whole thing should be installed into an aircraft. Once I had done the basic configuration done, I plugged the APM board into a couple of Macs and they all recognized the board and seemed to connect correctly using APM 2.0(which is why I suspect that "APM 2.0" may work as runtime on a Mac.)

One thing that I have found a little confusing is the use of the term "APM". When I first began researching the APM system, I found that the term "APM" could possibly apply to the board, "Mission Planner" or "APM 2.0".

I have a couple of these 2.6 boards. I am trying to put one into a hex and the other into a fixed wing aircraft. We'll see how it goes.

I imagine that there are many here who could correct me, but this is what I have figured out reading all I can get my hands on. Perhaps this can help if you have not figured it out by now.

Cheers in the new year!

bfretless

You need to click the Connect icon in the toolbar to establish a connection to your Pixhawk first. Then you can get to the options you're looking for.