Representation for Commercial sUAS

FlyGirl

Just an FYI, I have written an email to an advocacy group named AHS ( https://vtol.org/ ) who is putting a symposium on at the University of Maryland next week. Some of the agenda concerned sUAS and some of it is the larger future delivery UAS. Since I saw some of the agenda was in regards to sUAS I decided to send the email and see where they stand as far as advocacy for the sUAS operator. Their office is in the Washington DC suburbs and they already lobby congress so maybe they would be willing to help. Shot in the dark...

I did get a response from AHS today that I thought I should share....

"Hi, Lauren. Thanks for your message. Sorry for the delay in responding.

AHS advocates for the advancement of technology and for broader use of vertical flight aircraft. We also work with other organizations to lobby and advocate for vertical flight UAS and sUAS regulation as part of their broader mission. I've had some dialogs with the President of AUVSI, who is working with AMA, on sUAS. I'd be happy to help bring attention to them of any issues that aren't being adequately addressed.

It sounds like the Section 333 exemptions are a workable solution until sUAS rules are finalized ... a process that may take another 3-4 years. Attached, fyi, are the FAA slides from yesterday's meeting. Hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Mike.

Mike Hirschberg, Executive Director
AHS International – The Vertical Flight Technical Society"

If anyone is interested in contacting Mike please PM me for his contact info...

filmfly

Thank you all for your interest and enthusiasm in addressing these important issues we are facing. I would like to invite you all to visit the new website we have built.

Association of Commercial Unmanned Aircraft Systems
www.acuas.org

This site is meant to be a starting point for those interested in the commercial use of small UAS to gather together. As discussed earlier, we will begin by simply joining together and spreading the message of what we stand for. As our numbers grow in these early days, so does our strength and our voice.

More content and information will be added to the site soon, as well as improvements to the look and speed overall. Please contact me personally with any early feedback or suggestions, either with the contact form on the site or by emailing me at david@acuas.org.

Much more to come soon,
Here we go!

Old Man

Over the course of the past week the need for this type of organization has become of even greater importance. Several meetings and conversations with people involved in aerospace level UAV industry have clearly indicated they are going to be targeting the various layers of business that people flying multirotors and small cammed heli's have been associating with. There has also been mention of advanced knowledge that "hobby level" sUAS will not be able to meet upcoming regulatory changes. It appears there's a lot of work ahead of us all in playing catch up.

Ronan

Over the course of the past week the need for this type of organization has become of even greater importance. Several meetings and conversations with people involved in aerospace level UAV industry have clearly indicated they are going to be targeting the various layers of business that people flying multirotors and small cammed heli's have been associating with. There has also been mention of advanced knowledge that "hobby level" sUAS will not be able to meet upcoming regulatory changes. It appears there's a lot of work ahead of us all in playing catch up.

We need to hammer this hard right now.

FAA plans to take their time for commercial sUAV businesses by 'addressing' each business type, one by one. This will take YEARS and make it EXTREMELY hard for a business to be flexible (the entire point of UAV's)...

Also they would want sUAV's to have similar/same equipment as airplanes/helicopters, making the US, the ONLY country that FORCES sUAV commercial owners to spend THOUSANDS on equipment that is useless or near useless, all so that the FAA and their buddies can fill their pockets.

What does this mean? It means large businesses will shrug and do it, and small business's will instantly die out. That is absolutely not acceptable by any means!

Everyone needs to fight right now and not give them an inch! The way this is going, we are going to lose everything...

Join up with the www.acuas.org and let's be pro-active with this problem!

Last edited by a moderator:

jdennings

Thank you all for your interest and enthusiasm in addressing these important issues we are facing. I would like to invite you all to visit the new website we have built.

Association of Commercial Unmanned Aircraft Systems
www.acuas.org

This site is meant to be a starting point for those interested in the commercial use of small UAS to gather together. As discussed earlier, we will begin by simply joining together and spreading the message of what we stand for. As our numbers grow in these early days, so does our strength and our voice.

More content and information will be added to the site soon, as well as improvements to the look and speed overall. Please contact me personally with any early feedback or suggestions, either with the contact form on the site or by emailing me at david@acuas.org.

Much more to come soon,
Here we go!

Way to go! Huge thanks for the great work!

filmfly

Thank you guys, we're already seeing a great response but we have work to do. All of you can help right now:

1. Join as a member of ACUAS.org
2. Give suggestions and feedback
3. Tell more people about ACUAS.org
4. Volunteer to do more if you can, and we'll get in touch with you about specific things that you can do.

Jdennings thank you for telling me about the private link issue!

filmfly

The email links are working now - you can have yours re-sent to you by clicking the link at the bottom of the sign up page. Sorry for the bug, but thank you for telling me.

Av8Chuck

Um are you not aware of RCAPA?? They were on the first ARC with the AMA and Patrick Egan is on the new FAA BVLOS group. Just saying.

I was not aware of the RCAPA, but after looking at their site a couple of things came to mind. First I don't think these sorts of organizations are mutually exclusive, it does not have to be one or the other, better to join both. Its focus seems to be professional aerial photography where as ASUAS seems to be more about the rights of small business regardless of the aerial application. Personally I think there are other commercial sUAS business opportunities that are much larger than AP but nonetheless are not able to get started because of the current regulatory environment.

Although they have been around for a while they don't seem to have much of an install base and when you consider what's been happening and the fact that people have not heard of them they don't seem to be very effective. This is not a comment against them as much as pointing out how difficult it is to develop a strong following willing to tackle these sorts of issues.

If you know people in that group then it might be helpful if you point them in this direction and start a dialog of how these two groups can work together.

Old Man

Mr. Egan has done a very good job with putting together the Civilian Drone series on You Tube but it seems most of the activities have been focused on civilian use of "drones" for use in search and rescue activities. There is much, moch more that needs to be addressed as well. I agree with Chuck the message hasn't disseminated nearly as far is it needs to, and that the messages being spread by the various groups could come together either under one "roof" and as a network with shared goals.

We should not be viewing what needs to be done as territory coveted, but as groups that are prepared to stand united in the achievement of common goals. Reaching out to the various organizations to establish unity should be made a priority.

Ronan

Um are you not aware of RCAPA?? They were on the first ARC with the AMA and Patrick Egan is on the new FAA BVLOS group. Just saying.

Never heard of them. Very high membership fee... and no one ever mentioned them. That's not good and they have been around since 2004/2007. I would have thought they would have blocked the FAA from this mess... Especially since they have been active for around 10 years!

I'm contacting them to see what kind of response i get. I would gladly join them and any other organizations, paid/free/doesn't matter to me as a business, especially if the organization helps protect our business (and constitutional) rights!

Edit: FYI, their last recent news was on November 5th, 2013.

Old Man

Several previous posts share a common implication, essentially stating there are multiple groups and individuals working independently to develop rules and regulations that may or will impact all that have a stake in sUAS operations not only in the U.S., but abroad as well. I believe it is long past time for all involved to open a common dialog.

Gary, it was 2007 when I first started communicating with the AMA and other RC hobbyists about activities taking place within the FAA and UAS industry that were going to have significant impact, nobody believed me either so I can understand how it was with Egan's group. Something that is mildly troubling is another post mentioning the high cost of membership. When there are only a few people trying to perform a task the cost has to be rather high. Lawyers, lobbyists, advertising, corporate creation, book keeping, travel to D.C. and other locations for meetings is not insignificant. Nor are wages/income lost while performing those tasks. Those expenses have to be funded from somewhere and unless you're dealing with a bottomless revenue source some begging is involved. I view all that as an investment in my future.

Now with the sUAV Coalition you have an organization that is conducting business as usual, generating continuous revenue, unlike those currently fighting for survival. Look closely at some in that group and you might find one or more of them is also being entertained by large aerospace as a source for future revenue generation through the use of our airspace. Not a bad thing in and of itself but likely not something that will have any benefit for small sUAS businesses.

It still comes down to a need for a lot of work to be performed in a short period of time to accomplish a lot of common goals. I'm certain there are goals in front of others that are not so common but opening up a dialog between all of these groups and the people (us) that will be impacted by their activities is of critical importance. We cannot succeed if every group is tightly focused on a single task unique to their perspective. That reglations will happen is assured, the only questions are those concerning the scope of regulation, along with aircraft and operator certifications. I think we may have already seen some of the operator qualifications intent with the recent waivers. Those kind of mandates is some of why we need to come together. Ya'll ready to run out and start your full scale pilot training? You'll be spending a great deal of time and money supporting those that really don't want you operating in their airspace.

Av8Chuck

Nobody believed RCAPA in 2007 when they said this was coming down the pike. Next question, what are you going to do about ASTM F-38

I don't think the issues was whether people believed the RCAPA in 2007 it was more to do with what he was proposing to do about it at the time. I agree with the overwhelming amount of things Patric Egan writes, however I was very much against entering into a dialog with a government agency that didn't have the authority to regulate us in the first place. The "Greenpeace" approach didn't work in the 60's and it wasn't going to work in 2007. Hindsight is 20-20, we can all look back and say we were right but that certainly doesn't help us commercialize sUAS today.

Here are Patrick's writings on integration and other things. http://www.suasnews.com/author/patrick/

Whats really needed now in the USA is a consensus safety standard for flying. So far it looks pretty shocking to the man on the street.

Don't forget the other organization that is on the case sUAV Coalition

There does need to be a "safety standard" but that standard can not be arbitrary and capricious, it can not be onerous on small sUAS businesses to comply. I find the sUAS Coalition to be an interesting shot across the bow of not only the AMA, AOPA and other alphabet organization but also the FAA. However it depends on what you think the organization is? You can't join it, its a lobbyist organization formed by the member companies it represents. That's great except that I think you'll find its the civilian version of the DoD and will be just as aggressive at regulating out competition from small sUAS companies as the defense department contractors.

The problem is that since 2007 the world is waking up to the fact that this will be a huge market so big money is starting to position itself to take, and prevent others from taking, as much marketshare as possible -- the UAS market is starting to congeal. Its far too easy say that we need lots of money, that's a given, but at this point no matter how much money you have to go head to head with the FAA, Dod and now the sUAV Coalition it won't be enough, so we have to go after what they don't have - a large passionate and vocal constituency. If you don't have the numbers you don't need the money. If we can get the numbers then that gives us leverage and other businesses, business that see the intrinsic value that benefits indirectly from our success, will invest in our success, because if we're not successful neither are they.