Need to acuire a new controller. Go for WKM or A2?

snurre

I am about to put together a new camera ship soon, X8 type AUW~ 9kg
My present ship (since a few years) is on WKM, new IMU and controller generation. Working fairly reliable (though not perfect, vibration sensivity is an issue at speed flying).

A person I know in the MR manufacturing business told me to stay away from the A2 for now and stick to WKM, since so many of his customers reported problems with their A2´s.

Initially the choice was a no brainer to me: Go for the new (but in the market for more than a year) generation A2 controller. But now, after his warning and after looking around at the recent forum threads here I understand that this is NOT an obvious choice.

So guys, for a purchase within a month - what is your recommendation:
- A2 or WKM? :dread:

(motivations / elaborations most welcome)

Tom

Razzil

Personal opinion ... I've used Hoverfly, Naza, WKM and an A2 and the A2 is by far the best out of everything I've ever used. Again, my opinion. I'm using a Futaba 14SG and decided to use the internal rx, haven't had any issues to date. Frist flight with the A2 was more dialed in then all of my previous machines. It holds its place better and there's room for other options. I'm more at ease using the A2.

rilot

If it falls out of the sky, it's one that has an issue.

No, seriously, I'd like to know this too. Mine is solid and is a November 2013 vintage.

kloner

Aerial DP
the ratio of these that falls out of the sky is pretty big, it makes no difference on experience level. Even DJI dealers will tell you to avoid A2. Knowing all that made me unable to fly it in good faith. I personally have over 300 lifts of a dslr or bigger, mostly epic flights and they all seemed perfect, none the less, it's like russian roulette..... The worst part is wookong had a similar reputation and i've personally had one of those roll over on me, why, no idea and it's hard to read a log to figure out. SuperX has a perfect track record as far as crashes i've seen posted and the data you can read to figure it out with, even better you don't need the osd to figure it out, the flight controller has the logs and that's the base package.

the graphs look like this
http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2014_10_02_192837.500_9.1.04.39

fltundra

I followed Kloner's advice over 6 months ago, and very happy i did. No issues, doesn't fly away, rock solid gps, and also fantastic in manual mode. Logs are invaluable for tuning... Simply, it just works like it's supposed too!

Ronan

How does one determine if their A2 is from an old or new batch?

Like mentioned, if it randomly falls from the sky... it's a oldie that hasn't been fixed.

Seems to me there's 1 bad batch because people that have had issues, seemed to have bought it from around the same time, or from a small retail store with old stock.

No one seems to have any problems with the recent stuff, minus 1 guy that mounted the A2 GPS the wrong way, so not exactly DJI fault.

*Knocks on wood*

rilot

I really like the sound of SuperX. The more I read, the more I'm impressed. I think that next time I built a multi I'm going to go with one.