New Pricing announced on Freefly Movi gimbals

Quinton

http://freeflysystems.com/news/7891-2/

The MōVI’s state-of-the-art advanced stabilization technology has redefined the possibilities for camera movement. Today, we want to redefine what it takes to own this amazing product. We are excited to announce new pricing on our entire line of MōVI stabilizers starting with the M5 at $3,995, M10 at $7,995, and now shipping (limited quantities) M15 at $11,995.

jfro

Aerial Fun
http://freeflysystems.com/news/7891-2/

The MōVI’s state-of-the-art advanced stabilization technology has redefined the possibilities for camera movement. Today, we want to redefine what it takes to own this amazing product. We are excited to announce new pricing on our entire line of MōVI stabilizers starting with the M5 at $3,995, M10 at $7,995, and now shipping (limited quantities) M15 at $11,995.

That's nice to see the M5 come down a bit as well as the rest of the Movi line. I'd like one, but they are still too high for me. If the Phobotic Centerpiece lives up to it's billing, (we should know in the next few weeks as they shipped the first 100 this week), I have a feeling I'll live with my gimbals that take a few extra minutes to setup (change cameras and balance) and be happy and content. Since these things crash, I take both the original cost of item, plus what it costs to repair which puts a further price difference between the Alexmos/ Phobotic gimbals and the M/5, M10 type gimbals.

That being said, if money were no object, I'd be ordering a Movi M5 right now......

Quinton

Well I am a bit p*ssed to be honest as I only bought mine a couple of months ago.
Just makes you think what the real value is for the hardware if they can afford to drop something by 50%

Its all down to timing really, think the release of the DJI Ronin brought this one about.

agreed. I'm fooking furious as I've only had mine a couple of weeks. but yep, the Ronin pricing must have put the willies up them. stupid decision imho but if the accessory prices would drop the same that would mitigate.

dark_star

Well I am a bit p*ssed to be honest as I only bought mine a couple of months ago.
Just makes you think what the real value is for the hardware if they can afford to drop something by 50%

Its all down to timing really, think the release of the DJI Ronin brought this one about.

Most certainly. They were forced into this by DJI.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors

agreed. I'm fooking furious as I've only had mine a couple of weeks. but yep, the Ronin pricing must have put the willies up them. stupid decision imho but if the accessory prices would drop the same that would mitigate.

Same thing the early adopters of the DJI gimbals as well as frames experienced, pay a high $ price to be one of the first to have the tech, then watch the price drop dramatically within the next 6 to 12 months. In the case of DJI the Alexmos brushless gimbal controller certainly had a hand in getting the price down along with the rapid development of low cost gimbals and motors to go with the controller. In the case of the Movi I think it's two things driving the decision, one being the Ronin but also the fact that there are a large number of Movi style clones popping up now. Add to that they probably didn't sell a huge number of units at the original price point, though the ones they did sell may have covered a lot of the development costs so now it's time to drop the price and see what the run rate business turns out to be at a competitive price.

In any case it's good to see competition driving the market to a more rational price point, the pace of innovation certainly seems to be accelerating since the Alexmos broke the old servo driven gimbal mold with something new and accessible to everyone.

Ken

dark_star

The progression is understood but it's still a bitter pill for those with M10's. And at NAB they had stated upgrade to M15 would be $3k and now it's $6k. We were planning to convert one but not now.

The progression is understood but it's still a bitter pill for those with M10's. And at NAB they had stated upgrade to M15 would be $3k and now it's $6k. We were planning to convert one but not now.

The early adopters have been getting emails about buying an M15 at half price, it's not an upgrade. They'd have 2 gimbals. Everyone else who purchased after preorder, and prior to the price drop are out in the cold.

Quinton

Chris (Freefly Systems)

Sep 12 06:23 PM
Quinton,
Thank you for your honest feedback. We understand your concerns regarding the price change but we assure you that the decisions we made around pricing were not made lightly. We understand that there was no single perfect solution in this scenario to meet all customer's needs and we apologize if this option did not meet yours...

Hmm great, not really the answer I was looking for :)
I bought a slider plus from Edelkrone (one of the first ones) a few months later they changed it completely to hold motors at each end.
At least they offered me a brand new slider for free as long as I bought the 2 motors.
They have a customer for life now which I promote to others.

I understand s*it happens with technology pricing, but at least they should try and break the fall somehow, after all it did show that their pricing structure was over the top.
They are burying their head in the sand, I expect to see this from a Chinese company, not one in the USA.

fpmurphy

I recently shot with the M10 for a week and wasn't super impressed. To be fair, we only used it for handheld shots and we were right up at the weight limit (Epic, Arri Master Prime, Follow Focus, and Paralinx). I didn't feel like a $15K piece of equipment.

I'm really hoping this Phobotic controller is as good as promised. I'm going to be building a gimbal of my own that will hopefully be on par with the M12.

Akermay

The Movi becomes an ever more desirable product. We'll be looking close at replacing our Zenmuse with one soon potentially and the price change is welcome as a newcomer.

Where in the UK are Movi Gimbals buyable? I know CVP sell them, but otherwise do we have to source them outside of the UK?

ovdt

I have Phobotic, it offers better stabilization than Alexmos for sure.

I also own Movi and I'm sorry to say this but Movi is way better than any solution I have right now. With the premium I paid to Movi, I got plenty of new customers. Thanks to the competitors who were struggling with Alexmos at the movie set.

On a set with Alexmos, no way.

Phobotic? I'm testing it, on the bench it's very promising. Once the RC control issueas are resolved, I will be using it on a real job after proper testing. (with Movi as a back-up with me ofcourse).

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

I bought an M5 for $4,995 earlier this year. No regrets. Buying any tech item is almost guaranteed to result in paying more for less than if one were to wait.