Hoverfly Hoverfly and KDE motor/esc compatibility (or incompatibility!)

min0nim

Some of you may have seen my build thread here - http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?21386-Vulcan-black-widow-X8-build - where I has having trouble with the Hoverfly Pro. The first one I had seemed to have an unusual hardware issue - Hoverfly sent me a replacement. I could connect to this board so all seemed well, but then I couldn't get my motors to arm - the esc's/motors just had a constant beep, and the motors twitched.

Looking on the forums, this seemed to be a symptom of supplying more than 6v to the esc/rx side of the Hoverfly board, which damages a chip. Sure enough, I had mixed up some of my plugs and had been supplying my Rx with 9v (I was running 4 different voltages on the Black Widow - what a PAIN!). I thought I had fried the replacement board.

It's pouring down in Sydney today, so I decided to prep my old F550 to receive a second hand Hoverfly board in-tranist at the moment (I sourced it from the from the forum here). I needed to drill new holes and figure out the electronics. For a lark I decided to plug the E300 ESC's into the Hoverfly and turn it on.

The bloody thing ARMED! I'm in the process of bolting it down and re-calibrating it now. Hope to have a test flight tomorrow!

So - two things for the common wisdom.

1 - A little bit of 9v may not fry your Hoverfly board. But don't try it too much.

2 - The KDE 4012-400 / 35 amp ESC's are not compatible with the Hoverfly.

If anyone is running big motors, I'd love to find out what the biggest and what pole count is being used.

And as I now will have a spare Hoverfly board, I will post this on the KDE thread and see if they want one to test compatibility. There might be something that KDE can do/check.

Cheers,
Min.

kloner

Aerial DP
there used to be a thing where this would happen to certain esc. i can't remember the trick. i think it has to do with the hoverfly calibration and radio endpoints. what radio is this?

i haven't touched one of these in a long time

fpmurphy

I was having similar issues with pixhawk and superx and the KDE esc's with my taranis. Try setting your throttle end points to 1100ms - 1900ms. In the throttle channel the weight should be 86 and the offset should be - 7.

This fixed my issues on superx, but not the pixhawk.

kloner

Aerial DP
I think it has more to do with the radios used..... pretty sure Bens on futaba,,, your on taranis

Did you try looking at your throttle endpoints? let us know what they are.

min0nim

Thanks guys, and much appreciated for the suggestions.

It's been a hectic week, so I probably won't be able to try until this or next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. It would be great if it was just an endpoint issue!