Hoverfly Hoverfly setup woes

min0nim

My HFP and GPS board arrived this week, and I've spent the weekend wiring everything up and trying to setup the HFP.

I cannot get the HFP setup client to connect, and I cannot get the board to arm.

What I can do:

- I can connect to both the HFP and GPS board in the firmware Update Client, and can update to both 4.8 and 4.8 uBlox (I have the new #DR uBlox GPS module too). I have currently updated both boards to 4.8 uBlox.

- I can power on the board and RX using the battery. I am using S5 batteries, plus a DPCAV voltage regulator and a power filter to deliver 9v to the HFP and RX (I have a FrSky x8r, which is bound to my Taranis, and lights up green with a successful connection). The HFP powers up, then flashes green and beeps constantly.

- I cannot arm the HFP though, it just keeps beeping and flashing green.

What I can't do:

- Connect to the setup client to check that the TX inputs are all correct, coming through the right channels, etc.

- I get the HFP flashing purple just fine, when the program switch is in Position 2 (closed to the edge of the board). I press connect in the setup client, and it asks me to switch to Position 1. When I do this, it searches again, and then comes up with an error that no board can be found.

- When I change with switch position, the board restarts, but then flashes green or red depending on which position I switch the GPS board programming switch to.

- I have tried multiple USB cables, all with the same result.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with it! Does anyone have any suggestions?

min0nim

Some other interesting pieces.

- I cannot make the board connect in the Update Client if the switch is in Position 1, only in Position 2.

- If I have the board flashing purple before I run the Update Client, I can get to the firmware flash just fine. If I have the board off, and then plug it in on the "Connect" tab, it will connect, but then fail to 'find any propellor chip', and the firmware update will fail.

- If I connect to USB in switch Position 1 (no software open), the HFP starts up flashes purple briefly, and then flashes red.

- If I connect to UBS in switch Position 2 (no software open), the HFP starts up ad flashes purple happily, but won't connect to the Setup Client.

I don't know what parts of the board switch 1 and 2 are activating, but there seems to be an issue with Position 1 on my board, or is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

min0nim

Does anyone have a contact at Hoverfly? Or know if they monitor any forums?

I'm not getting much support through their online support. Feeling like I'm stuck with $1000 worth of dead flight control at the moment....

To connect to setup utility, keep switch in position 1. If it give an error, can't find connection, try clickin connect again before unplugging. This is a common bug. It will usually connect second try. Also, did you download the driver and the select the correct port for connection?
When you plug batteries to the HF, it should not beep unless I is armed. Unless it is the motors beeping and your ESCs are not getting a signal. I believe the HFP should be solid green before arming. Triple check your connections. Post a video of what is happening.

min0nim

Thanks Tahoelight.

Ok, I tried connecting multiple times - no joy on switch position 1. I do have the latest driver, and uninstalled/reinstalled for good measure.

What I have found is that I can actually connect to the Setup client with the USB switch in position 2! However, with this, the artificial horizon doesn't work, and the self-tests all fail. I also can't get any inputs from the Rx showing once the flight battery is plugged in.

I've recorded a couple of videos. The first shows what happens with the Update Client, the second shows what happens with the Setup client. The third shows the flight battery startup. The ESC's are all beeping (KDE's - this is normal when its on the ground), but you can also hear the Hoverfly. The other noises are the Taranis.

Last edited by a moderator:

min0nim

The problem does seem to be different now than at the beginning. I'm kind of suspecting an electronics failure, or I'm just doing something really really dumb...

Stacky

If you are still having problems your next step is to go to the hoverfly website and submit a ticket to the support section.

min0nim

Thanks guys, I'll give the power-on first suggestion a go.

I do have an open ticket with Hoverfly, I just haven't heard much from them.

min0nim

Just an update:

I had a few responses from Hoverfly. They did apologise for the delay on the support ticket - sounds like they've been pretty busy.

Dan has suggested it may be a hardware fault, and has shipped a replacement board. Really looking forward to getting it and getting the new X8 up in the air!

min0nim

Another update - the replacement board arrived today, and I've spent a bit of time tonight confirming that it all works.

Plugged into the computer to run the setup, and it all connects instantly. Ran the self tests and the calibrations (except compass). All works excellently!

But then, dun dun daaaaaan, I plug in all the receiver and ESC connections, and get EXACTLY the same problem as with the original board. After tracing through the possibilities, I've found that the problems only occur when the ESC's are plugged in. This happens with and without power from the flight battery.

I've just now found a post by Bart a while ago, with advice from Al regarding the Hoverfly Pro and OPTO ESC's - for reference: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?9597-Hoverfly-PRO-and-Opto-ESC-s

I haven't had enough time to test completely, but the similarities are there. I'm using the KDE 35 ESC's which are opto. This could be the problem.